Author Topic: Galgrebaa Spaceport.  (Read 31352 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Galgrebaa Spaceport.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 04:58:40 PM »
This is excellent mate.

Ron

Thank you!

Very realistic diorama
Thank you, just some simple tricks and bad lighting.

JDeck, I really like the crane - what an excellent detail. I think the Ugnaughts totally make sense (plus you can always add a special custom figure to the team at a later time!). This is looking so exellent. Keep up the good work.

Thank you. I imagine the Ugnaughts are simple store owner operators. Galgrebaa is home to many species from around the Galaxy, looking for a better life. I like to think Ugnaughts make up the single largest species population. Followed by Twi'leks, Snivians and Gotals in that order.

Better and better! This thing is rad!
Thank you. I like a dirty dingy used universe in Star Wars.
Wow :o ..some of the best work i have seen, great job!

Thank you. The paints did most of the work, these watercolors are great.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2020, 05:01:10 PM »
Wow this is looking amazing mate!

Thank you. Your spaceport looks amazing too. I wish I were that far along, but this is going to be a long project. Just something I can work on one piece at a time.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 05:09:20 PM »
   I pretty much finished the outside. I might add some signs or something, but the construction is done. The front is made to be removable to reveal the Droid Workshop.  I did add some greebles and a Droid Depot decal on the front, and a C-3po on the side. I like the C-3po it reminds me of Banksy street art.

First I made the box to fit. Then trimmed the edges to give it soft corners. Then I spackled and sanded, two coats. Then Woodland Scenics Water colors. First, Concrete, then Burnt Umber, Concrete, then Black. It turned out pinkish, but I wanted more of a brown. However it works perfectly, because it reminds me of an Antique Store I worked at in Galveston, called Antique Warehouse. Galgrebaa is loosely based on Galveston. That building used to be a Brothel if you go upstairs, you can see the prices written on the walls for the different ladies of the night  Anyway enough reminiscing. So I like it. It's designed to add a second story, so I'll make the second story a sleezy Hotel/Brothel/ Spice-den.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:58:02 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
Loved hearing about the history of the building your worked at and how that made it into this design. Just so reminds me of what we would see in our SW Verse. Love the placement of the stickers and artwork. Makes it more real imo.

Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
Loved hearing about the history of the building your worked at and how that made it into this design. Just so reminds me of what we would see in our SW Verse. Love the placement of the stickers and artwork. Makes it more real imo.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you! Yeah Galveston has cool history. Famous pirate Jean Lafitte set up a base there. He basically turned the island into a smugglers paradise. Some of the castle ruins still exist, called the stairs of Jean Lafitte. I lived across the street from first Cathedral in Texas. During WW2 there was a huge Artillery base there, some of those old bunkers are still there. But it's definitely a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Definitely Star Wars inspiration there. Especially since I lived there following the Hurricane Ike. It looked like a war zone, but instead of wrecked x-wings, there were boats scattered all over the streets. It was a sight.  The sulfur mines on the north port looks like Kessel. At night all you see are ships lined across the horizon coming into port. It was a neat place, in small doses. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:20:19 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »
Turned out really great! I love that you drew inspiration from actual buildings, that's a great idea. I've got a friend who has spent time in Galveston and told me the history there was cool. Thanks for sharing.  I really like the rounded elements on the front of your building.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 07:25:33 AM »
Wow, nice! I can sure understand the small doses point too. Neat place though.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
Turned out really great! I love that you drew inspiration from actual buildings, that's a great idea. I've got a friend who has spent time in Galveston and told me the history there was cool. Thanks for sharing.  I really like the rounded elements on the front of your building.

Thank you. Yeah Galveston is neat. Most visitors are Houstonians going for the weekend. I went back to visit a few years ago. I didn't have the foresight to rent a car, so it was literally a pain to get around. I had to hire a limo just to get on and off the island from the airport. I'd like to go again, but meh, I'd rather go to Galaxy's Edge. Anyway I did add a few more greebles. I think it's about done. Now I'll work on the top floor.

Wow, nice! I can sure understand the small doses point too. Neat place though.
    Yeah, so I'm going to use some of this architecture in my Spaceport. Like the landing pad will be like these artillery bunkers.  Also Zagreb Croatia is another inspiring element for Galgrebaa. Talk about history. Every day at noon they fire a cannon to commemorate the victory of some battle that took place hundreds of years ago.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:19:28 AM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2020, 11:38:58 PM »
Really love the details and weathering mate and thanks heaps for the info about Galveston, it's always great to history on a place.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 07:50:57 AM »
Really love the details and weathering mate and thanks heaps for the info about Galveston, it's always great to history on a place.

Ron

Thank you. I spent a majority of my time there renovating a house for the local historian. I didn't get to talk with her that much, because I was busy working whenever she came over. One day work was stalled, so she had us consolidate a couple of storage units. Talk about Antiques. This woman, between League City and Galveston had at least 6 storage units full of Antique furniture, one filled completely with dolls. She even had one of those harpsichords from the 1700s. It was a long day.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
  I've been working on and off on a supply Depot. Just collecting crates and cannisters and things like that.
Today I built an old Tibanna gas cylinder from a mining platform. It leaks, so they just keep it in the depot. It's made from a TUMS bottle and model kit parts. I made a weld effect on the end caps using wood glue, then painted and weathered.  I went to various stores today to find odds and ends, but I couldn't find anything I didn't already have.  Specifically I was looking for water-guns, but couldn't find any at all. I guess mid July is a bad time to try to find water-guns.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:50:54 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2020, 07:04:27 AM »
Man that looks perfect in there. I really like your spaceport. So cool. Now this is a real playset. I thought tibanna gas before I even read your description.

Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
Man that looks perfect in there. I really like your spaceport. So cool. Now this is a real playset. I thought tibanna gas before I even read your description.

Off to the front pages.
Thank you. I would like to just have more diorama accessories or small stuff like this gate thing and the POTF2 shield generator bunker. The rest I can do. I think half of this project will be repurposing junk into star wars junk.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:59:56 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2020, 11:05:11 PM »
The barrel/cannister in the back looks excellent and the spaceport gear also looks excellent.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2020, 05:38:03 AM »
It sure makes sense to me. These work so well in dios, etc.