Author Topic: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets  (Read 38684 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »
Thanks buddy
I got a free scrap of plexiglass from the local hardware store and after trimming to fit, applied the trans light graphic in the same fashion as normal, being careful not to scratch the plexiglass backside as I worked. Then I mounted the plexiglass piece flush to the backside of our front panel with a hot glue gun. Black electrical tape was used on the backside at the edges to serve as a light blocker.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
The assembled riser box has another wall section behind the front decorated wall that serves as part of the framework that supports the cabinet weight. It’s only a couple of inches behind the front wall and should be a perfect place to mount a length of LED light tape.
   I bought a little set from Menaurds that included a small run of tape and a splitter with the right connectors that would allow me to power it, the cabinet, and the cabinet top marquee all from the same power source with no wire cutting
   Adhesive backed, I arranged the light tape in a shape I thought would
Work well and then reinforced its position with some electrical tape.
  I cut and folded some light blocking partition pieces out of aluminum foil that would both keep light from the LEDs from bleeding out from under and over the riser and be able to reflect light back towards that translit decal at the same time. After final assembly, I think the foil amplifies the amount of light in the area slightly

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2021, 03:48:43 PM »
After final assembly, I’m satisfied with how bright the graphic is lit. I am glad I used the foil. I used electrical tape to attach the foil and overlapped the edges to block light bleed.

This should be pretty sharp when the decorated cabinet is sitting g on top of it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2021, 06:57:27 AM »
Clint has anyone told you that you are one crafty fellow? So smart using that aluminum foil to focus your light. It looks great.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2021, 07:08:21 AM »
You are making me blush.
Check out these first two shots of the Rampage cab sitting on a home made riser. You can see why I want to decorate this one as the sides are a bit plain. As soon as I found the kit, I knew I wanted to decorate this one as Joust, my favorite game emulation on this cab.  Rampage is pretty cool and looks and plays just like it should with the three sets of controls on the control panel. Defender looks and sounds good but the rampage control configuration ruins it and you never have a sense of the arcade controls which are difficult and spread out anyways. Gauntlet looks and sounds pretty good although it’s only a two player port. There was a two player arcade version but I remember the squat four player version which was a blast to play when it was filled up.
It’s unfortunate they couldn’t have ported the four player version, at least so you could fill the three sticks on this cab with players.
Then, there is Joust, another Williams classic that is a true port of the arcade classic and plays wonderfully with either one or two players onscreen simultaneously.

This was a Gen 1 cab from Arcade1Up released in 2018
Perhaps an afterthought compared to the bigger names that were released with this first Generation, this cab has reached a new popularity amongst the collectors of these machines and Rampage, new in its box, would easily fetch 3 times or more as much as I paid for it.

Among other new cabs hitting this spring is this new Atari legacy 12-in 1 which should nicely demote both my custom Tempest cab and my gen1 12-in-1 except for the fact that In these shots, the 17” monitor appears to be oriented vertically which would work well for both Tempest and Centipede but not some Of the other included games. I doubt the new factory spinner would top my aftermarket one.
That coin door is just a sticker but some of the other cabs released this spring, like x-men, will include a more realistic faux plastic coin door
    I would like to put that decorated riser under my Custom Tempest cab
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:10:17 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2021, 07:22:07 AM »
First up, from arcademodup, came the lit marquee kit which went in without a hitch. Next, another of the escape pod kits graphics, the screen bezel sticker was applied. I put this one on in several pieces as the one piece application killed me when I did it from the Tempest kit. Less about lucky guessing and more about accuracy
  I had forgot about protecting the plexiglass backside while applying this one and ended up having to buff a bunch of scratches out with car wax before final installation.  I believe I put the graphic on the frontside, covering the Rampage graphic and covered any exposed edges of the green graphic with black manic marker
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:33:59 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2021, 06:07:19 AM »
Looks spot on to me. I am so envious of all your arcade systems. So awesome.

Off to share your update on the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2021, 05:53:43 AM »
Another update
After the bezel comes the control board graphic and the front kickplate graphic. I did the control panel as before and used the plexiglass deck protector as a guide to cut for controls and doctored up with a magic marker to cover any panel graphic color seen underneath. As I mentioned, the control panel graphic is not the one that was included with the kit but was a replacement for a full sized Joust arcade cabinet. It had that original look so I used it instead and just cut it around those wonky Rampage controls. It was roughly the same size and shape as the Arcade1Up sized one. I like the way the two graphic stone slabs transition  from the control panel up to the bezel. The kick panel turned out good and I now only lack getting the large side panel graphics on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:26:23 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2021, 03:33:17 AM »
Clint that just looks fantastic!

Off to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2021, 06:45:12 AM »
Thanks buddy
  Let’s talk about Arcade1Up pinball for a second
   I have a decent YouTube review from cooltoy here, that gives a good idea about how the Marvel table looks and works. There is not a lot of gameplay shown but versions of the Zen games have been available to play on Steam for some time now.
    I have preorderd this one and though it has been delayed once or twice, it is scheduled to be released by the 8th of next month.
  They are manufacturing all three styles one version at a time in the same factory so, Marvel comes first, then comes Star Wars, then, Attack from Mars

pbjreload=101[/url]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 06:46:45 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2021, 12:38:43 AM »
I loved Joust! That is a masterful, I mean, its really beautiful. Nice job. Its amazing to see how you have transformed this.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2021, 03:28:34 AM »
Pinball is just plain fun. My father in law has a 70s version one in his basement that still works great. They really built older things that last. I like this too. Would love to have a Star Wars themed one.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2021, 06:22:49 AM »
Starchaser!,thank you! you are showing your age. Joust was always one of my favorites also. Those old Williams arcade games always had the coolest sound effects.
Ok Shawn, here is a video showing the other YouTube reviewer who got a preproduction pinball machine that has the Star Wars  version.
Not a lot of gameplay here either but it gives you a pretty good look at the machine and how it functions.

[/url]

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2021, 07:41:44 AM »
Wow that is nice. Wish I had the space for it.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
You wouldn’t keep it in the box, I hope?