Author Topic: Star Wars Visions  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Star Wars Visions
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:45:12 AM »
We were starting to talk about this in the Bad Batch Section so I figured I may as well start a thread for it!

I am on the fence with this one. So far it seems it might be an anime with just a lighsaber inserted here and there.

What do you think?

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Star Wars Visions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 09:24:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing the trailer and opening this topic, Tamer! Saw the trailer when it aired last week.
Going back today and seeing it almost hit 3 million clicks and a 15:1.1 like to dislike ratio does impress me.

I don't know anything about manga and anime. Back in the days I occasionally watched Pokémon, Dragon Ball and One Peace. All shows were just meh to me. Pokémon was the one I was most interested in, but ironically it felt like actual Pokémon had the least screen time.
So there's where I come from.

My youngest brother is 11 years old now and he LOVES anime! He binged watched several Japanese series during the big summer holiday and so did most of his friends! Anime and stuff seem to be a thing among kids at the moment so if that's a niche Di$ney can fill with STAR WARS, it's definitely a win in my book.

When the trailer played through while I'm typing this, I enjoyed the sound effects of VISIONS the most. If experts like it, more power to them! Disney have messed enough with STAR WARS and VISIONS is not a show for me. I won't watch it. But that's okay. From what I read so far the reception of the trailer has been generally positive.
I also read someone writing that George was also heavily involved. I highly doubt it. Sounds like something Mike Zeroh would say twice a day in his stupid videos full of lies and misleading.

Again, I'm glad whenever STAR WARS inspires more souls around the world even with new genres like this one here. So I'm happy for all those out there who enjoy the show. More epic battles are always nice even if they're fought with umbrella lightsabers or triple-driple bladed lightsabers, right? Whatever.

I'm glad everyone can decide on their own which elements of STAR WARS are good for them or not. I for my part take and buy what I like. If VISIONS is successful, great! That hopefully also means we get more merch of the other entertainments within the galaxy far, far away.

But speaking of merch I can well see Bandai, Kotobukiya and such get to make some nice statues of that show's characters!
Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:28:51 AM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:22:40 PM »
 I have two conflicting thoughts about this. On one hand, I want something new. Something other than the Filoni-verse, memberberries and fan service. Something truly different and outside of the box. Look at the Star Wars galaxy through different perspectives not just the dogmatic narrow view of the jedi. Embrace the  larger view of the galaxy.

On the other hand it's anime, and I don't like anime. It's something you love or hate. Besides that it's not canon, so I don't feel obligated to watch.  So I don't think it's for me, but then again it is different. With all the new stuff coming out there will be things I love and hate. Im actually looking forward to Acolyte, that I think will be something different that im looking for.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 06:20:19 AM »
My daughter has gotten me into anime. I actually have watched it since way back if you count Robotech and Gundam as anime. I have also watched several fantasy series I have liked as well. So the anime part I don't have a problem with.

What I am worried about is getting a unique story out of it. Still, at the end of the day, it is new Star Wars and we have a chance to see some unique new characters and vehicles and I can't wait to see how they portray some of my favorite vehicles like Walkers and TIES and X-Wings.

I do hope we see some space battles too and not just a series of different lightsaber battles between Jedi and Sith. I am also looking forward to seeing how they portray some of our favorite OT Characters too. I am so hoping we get a chance to see something like this:

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 01:20:30 PM »
I'm with JDECK and D.M in the sense that I don't like anime. As I said before to me it looks cheap and unimaginative. Plus I've always viewed it as a lazy ass way to not have to include spectacular special effects.
Is George heavily involved as has been reported? Who really knows. I'll be skeptical until I hear the master tell me it's true. I hope it's true because even though the animation will suck for me the story line could be fantastic.
Will I watch Visions, at least the first 2 or 3. If it looks promising a few more but I don't have high hopes that Visions will live up to anything close to my standards for Star Wars.
With the exceptions of Solo, The Mandalorian and Rogue 1 disney has failed miserably to enhance the Star Wars experience and I expect to add Visions to their long list of disappointments.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 05:29:29 AM »
I can definitely see anime styles. I would swear one artist is the one that did Ninja Scroll and the other Astro Boy. I am beginning to think perhaps I know a bit more anime than I thought!

I will try to keep an open mind for at least the few.

I am finding it interesting to see what everyone thinks about it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 03:00:35 AM »
Well I watched the first five and must say I am liking this so far. It is pretty interesting seeing the different artist styles and a Samurai take on our favorite franchise. They even got Temura to voice Boba Fett in the one short.

Most of these are just around 10 to 15 minutes long so I didn't get all of them watched (9 in all), but it is nice to have new Star Wars.

That and the What If series is really starting to annoy me as they are all just lead ups and then they just stop.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »
I still haven't watched any of them I'm pretty stubborn about these things. I've been binge watching this Korean drama called Squid Games, at first I thought it was going to be dumb but it was actually really good. It's like korean hunger games meets saw. It's crazy, so mabe if i give visions a chance I might like it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 05:37:50 AM »
I now have watched the other four and must say overall I enjoyed it. I think you have to like anime in general in order to like them.

It was interesting to see several artist styles from Astro Boy to Ninja Scroll to Afro Samurai (definitely the style for the first one that I liked the best).

I have to say, like most, I liked "The Duel" the best. I could so see you guys doing a bang up job on that Astro-Mech that has the straw hat. I loved the villian in this episode too.

All in all it was pretty much just Jedi vs. Sith for it all which is pretty much the norm for many anime type shows, but I was left wanting for a large space or large ground battle with some of our favorite iconic vehicles. That we didn't see a whole lot of although the one episode did show a Sith Ship which was cool.

The Duel also showed an interesting take on the ITT sort of combined with a bit of the AT-AT Body, but that was about it other than two connected Star Destroyers.

I think this was the Animatrix meets Star Wars. I think my friend Dayton Allen's comments summed it up best. It was new Star Wars so it was enjoyable, but in the grand scheme of things probably won't be remembered much.

Definitely not as bad as the sequels and I can definitely see me watching these again. I hope they do another few episodes of The Duel.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 06:07:09 AM »
And already on our Facebook Page I put up a few things that would allow folks to make some amazing customs of this.

I really don't like Facebook tbh, but there is just so much on it it is too good to pass up. I just try to ignore the flamers and vitriol there.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 06:50:37 PM »
Well, there's a lot to say/report about this series.
Allow me to say upfront just so I'm not constantly repeating myself: I do not like anime.
Never have and probably never will. I did not care for the anime in any of these episodes therefor I am able to judge each episode based on the story line, characters and content.
I would rate these episodes accordingly.
1. The duel
2. The 9th. Jedi
3. The Elder
4. The Twins
5. Alakiri
6. The Village Bride
7. Lob & Ocho
8.Tatooine Rhapsody
9. TO-B1

The Duel. By far the best of all the episodes.
The lightsaber duels were superb and an Umbrella Saber is an ingenious concept. If I had the
skills I would build one.
I really enjoyed the storyline, character concepts and costumes. Plus it was nice to see the good guy win for once.
Lady sith showed the strength of the dark side but in the end the blindness of following evil.
My only question/critical comment is--------how does the dark lordette of the sith perform such a high level of lightsaber fighting skills while wearing high heels??

The 9th. Jedi.
This episode has some of the best music of the 9. The music was the most like the original Star Wars movies and added a great level of emotion to each and every scene.
Superb story line, character development and again, costumes.
This story showed how light side users of the force cannot blindly follow their feelings and must use judgement and wisdom accompanied by experience.
My compliments to the writers of this episode for their skill in developing the deception of the sith lord.

The Elder.
Again the music was very good and the story line is superior from start to finish.
The Elder's 2 red katana sabers were an excellent addition to the dark sides weaponry.
I thought the Jedi master's relationship to his padawan is one of the best I've seen in the Star Wars genre. He was able to relate his teachings and wisdom while allowing the youngster to
explore his force guidance and gain new experience.
The final saber battle is skillful and first-rate.
The padawan reminded me of a more disciplined and mature Anakin at that age.

The sandman cometh. I will continue another day.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:01:41 AM by DarthHawk »

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »
The Twins
The intro showing twin Gemini Class Star Destroyers supporting a Hyper Cannon was the perfect beginning.
As the characters were introduced I initially thought that the first twin was a really crappy looking Darth Vader. Fortunately I was wrong.
The concept of force sensitive beings being created by the dark side of the force is intriguing.
This concept opens up a whole new premise for creating a dark side army of soldiers that attempt to take control of the galaxy.
The story line was creative and developed in a way that keeps the viewer engaged in the episode. This  is one storyline I would like to see made as a live action show.
I came away from this with two questions.
1. How do the characters survive in the vacuum of space w/o proper space suits? Another Carrie Poppins philosophy?
2. Is this supposed to be Luke and Leia displayed in an alternate universe?

Alakiri
The intro fight is fun and kept my interest in the episode even with the storyline being typical and not very original.
I would like to have a herd of those horses/pack animals displayed in my collection.
Another Katana saber is a nice touch.
I thought the Jedi, given his age, was quite hotheaded and undisciplined.
Turning to the dark to save the one he loves is simply an Anakin ripoff however I thought the Jedi would then immediately turn back to the light and destroy the sith lord.
Since that did not happen I would like to see a continuation of this chapter. The outcome has a multitude of possibilities.

Village Bride
I thought the beginning story line was sappy and sophomoric combined with anime that is cheap and uninspiring.
What did I like about this episode? The yellow Katana saber and the ending. However the ending didn't disappoint with its absolute predictability.
I still can't understand how the writers/costume designers expect us to believe that the heroine is able to perform expert force enhanced fighting techniques while wearing high heals. Actually in this episode the footwear looked more like platform stripper shoes.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 02:32:43 AM »
Yeah some of that attire was a little off I do agree.

Still, all in all I enjoyed it. I wish we had had a few more epic space and ground battles, but I will take it.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 04:10:22 PM »
Anybody watching the new season of visions?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 12:15:09 AM »
Anybody watching the new season of visions?

I watched it. The one episode with the two statues was pretty good. Not sure about the rest.

I went and rewatched the first episode. Man I was hoping for a part two of that one.