Author Topic: Don's Custom Star Wars Figures  (Read 109643 times)

Offline Don

• Captain
Don's Custom Star Wars Figures
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »
I've mostly been posting my custom figures on Facebook, but after seeing Aude's recent amazing figures (a Shipyard's post on FB) I thought I'd come start a thread here too.
I've been customizing for a long time. The first I can remember is my little brother and I taking a black magic marker to a Stormshadow figure, which would have been 1987 or 1988 (it didn't turn out very well). I mostly part-swapped and painted camo on Joe figures for the next ten years because back then I thought of SW figures as a limited resource and couldn't bring myself to customize them, but once Hasbro started making SW figures I started customizing SW as well. I shared a few of them on the Rebelscum and FFURG forums, but I was never all that active in those communities.
I'll share my most recent figures first, and over time I'll work my way through the back catalog (I want to reshoot the older figures anyway).

My favorite subject, by far, is Fan-Fic Star Wars figures, especially Fan-Fic that look like they could be Jabba associates. I finished this guy a week or two ago. He's Jabba's cook/bartender on the Barge or in a future diorama.

EDIT: Here's the recipe: I don't remember which Nikto the head & hands came from (probably Vizam or Vedain; either would work), the chest and arms are from the 2010 Endor Rebel Soldier figure (I don't remember if I used the black or the white guy for this), the legs are from the 2012 Lando Skiff (sandstorm) figure (those legs are key; they're a little shorter than the new Skiff Lando), the belt is from the Vaders Secret Apprentice Evolutions 3-pack (from the Jedi figure), the meat cleaver is from one of the Zombie Labs figures, and the apron is from the Dime Novel Legends bartender figure (http://smalljoes.com/cgi-bin/pgen.cgi?Stage=10&CatId=56&Item=DNL-W1-SALBAR). 

And with the optional Marauders head wrap.

More soon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:39:58 AM by Don (Chuckles) »

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
Re: Chuckles' Custom Figures
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
Clean! I love the character. It's top shelf my friend!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 02:56:01 AM »
Now that is one great way to say hello for the first time here. Great custom. Love him with that cleaver. Off to share to the front pages.

And welcome!

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »
Thanks guys!

Next up is another recent one. I didn't dare cut into my only Brock back when a replacement would have cost like 85 bucks, but once I got a second figure I modified Brock Starsher's helmet by cutting away the molded hose, and adding this hose. Simple modification, but I love how this turned out.
(The photos got me to notice some sloppy factory paint apps on the chest; I'll need to clean that up soon...)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:31:08 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 08:01:56 AM »
And since Brock turned out so well I dumped the second figure into the parts bin, and pulled out a fan-fic Brock's Cousin (also with a modified helmet).

EDIT: Recipe: Brock's helmet (obviously), I have no idea who's chest that is, pretty sure the arms came from the 2012 Nikto Skiff Guard, the belt/skirt is from Vizam, pretty sure the legs are from a Bespin Security figure, and the chest armor was cut off an extra Skiff Lando.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:57:29 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »
Also, I don't really love Imgur so those last two posts were done by sharing Google Photos images, everyone can see the images?

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
I can see that I love the brock cousin... Way cooler than the lame original dude (my opinion... I passed on him originally on the pegs)

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »
Sweet customs, Chuckles, and thanks for the motivation! I have more barge revelers on the workbench, and I'm excited to share them when they're completed. Your nikto cook is fan(fic)tastic and looks like he stepped right out of the Khetanna's kitchen! The cleaver and bandanna really tie it together. Brock's modified hose also looks great. What did you use to make it?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 03:24:53 AM »
Nice, very nice. I am taking these to the front pages.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:21:33 AM »
...Brock's modified hose also looks great. What did you use to make it?

Sorry, I don't actually know where the hose came from; random hose from a bin full of parts collected over, what, 30 years of collecting? Probably a GI Joe part.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 07:30:28 AM »
More fan-fic Jabba goons. These are two of my older customs; put them together in the early-mid 2000s. I gave the tall guy a new paint job recently, and a new Marauder bandanna.

EDIT: Recipe: These are pretty old so I don't remember most of it. The tall guy is mostly Vedain from the old Cinema Scene 3-pack with hands from a 2001 Ketwol figures. The short guy uses a 1997 Weequay head, the 2004 Skiff Lando chest and arms, and a Jawa lower body.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:07:28 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
Sweet customs, Chuckles, and thanks for the motivation! I have more barge revelers on the workbench, and I'm excited to share them when they're completed. Your nikto cook is fan(fic)tastic and looks like he stepped right out of the Khetanna's kitchen! The cleaver and bandanna really tie it together. Brock's modified hose also looks great. What did you use to make it?

Thanks man, I have MANY more fan-fic Jabba goons in the back-catalog. I'll be re-shooting and posting as time allows.
As for the cook; pretty sure the head and hands came from Vedain, but you can get the same parts from Vizam. The legs and crotch are from Skiff Lando (the short version from a few years ago). The torso and arms are from the 2010 rebel commando figure (the bald white guy).
The butcher knife is from a Zombie Labs figures, and the apron is from the Dime Store Novels bartender figure. Oh, and the waist wrap; I think that was from a Force Unleashed figure.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:50:33 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »
Here's another that's got to be at least 15 years old.

EDIT: The head and hands are from the 2001 Ketwol figure, the rest is a repainted 2002 Orn Free Taa figure.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:12:42 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »
I told you guys I have a LOT of fan-fic Jabba associates, I'm just getting started. These two are from around 2007. (But the guy on the right has been updated with a Marauders wrap; really love those Marauders accessories.)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:51:52 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 03:01:26 AM »
Very nice. My internet is going kafluey this morning yet again, but I want to get these on the front pages.