Author Topic: Aude's Workshop  (Read 36311 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Aude's Workshop
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2021, 03:55:51 AM »
I'm sure I'd you sold these as unpainted kits many would buy them.

No doubt about that!

I would look for them here in his eBay Shop:

Aude's Workshop Link on eBay
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:58:39 AM by Tamer »

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »
I love that group shot! I might have missed it somewhere in the thread (or its just 'old brain syndrome') but what kind of printer do you have? My son just got one some he could print 28mm miniatures.

I'm not sure I've ever written about it despite promising to do so. I started with an Elegoo Mars but have phased that one out since it does not have a monochrome screen. I'm currently running two Phrozen printers and would highly recommend them.

Perhaps. I haven't printed any more yet. Maybe sometime this week.

No doubt about that!

I would look for them here in his eBay Shop:

Aude's Workshop Link on eBay

I have found eBay's lack of seller support disturbing, and my listings there have grown sparse as a result. The exposure is nice, but when a platform provides zero assistance with basic issues, selling directly is more appealing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2021, 02:41:19 AM »
Sad to hear eBay is treating you awful, but I really felt a few years ago it was really a buyers market there. Sellers just have an awful time, but it is such a widely known and used platform that eBay gets away with treating sellers awful.

I definitely can see the appeal of just selling the items yourself on your own dedicated platform. Heck, I would be glad to set you up a forums sections here just to do that yourself.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2021, 05:42:06 AM »
Sorry to hear about eBay, aude. It’s more automated now and getting an actual person to deal with issues is less of a possibility than before. I think most of their employees constitute some server farm babysitters/code de buggers, and a few suits to decide where next to get extra monies from the sellers and buyers that particular year.
It is a buyers market and for eBay, the buyer is usually considered right. You could sell here and possibly build a decent following after some time

I didn’t push sales here and instead, focused on ebays broad audience and have seen their change over the years. I used to sell internationally there but haven’t in years.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:30:04 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »
You are both correct. With a few exceptions, buyers haven't been much of an issue. It is discouraging when, after multiple calls, the best answers as to why my shipping rates will not combine for potential buyers are: "the system is bugged," and, "sorry, we cannot do anything about it." Yes, I can issue partial refunds every single time, but I've just begun sending extra items instead. They are happy to debit my account each month, but resolving the most basic issues for sellers is beyond the scope of their capabilities. ::)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2021, 02:34:01 AM »
It kind of reminds me of how wal-mart got big and took out the smaller stores and now you can't find what you need at wal-mart anymore.

I know amazon is a fairly well used platform too, but I know it has its own issues too. Anyhow we are getting away from the point here, which is your awesome work.

I cannot wait to see what your spring on us next.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2021, 12:16:40 AM »
Stealth post. 8)

"Tell Anakin..."

Ahsoka Tano
Siege of Mandalore

The Clone Wars

Images now; words later.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2021, 01:55:22 AM »
Okay okay, my jaw already dropped at the first picture and I was immediately wondering: Is she 3.75"? The detail on her face looks absolutely stunning. Then the Astromechs were a hint.
But I completely freaked out at the last pic! WOW! Did you cast all these different hands for her?
Besides, it's good to see you back around!
"Tell Anakin..." goosebumps hitting.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
Yep, jaw unhinged. Wow, wow, wow!

I can't even imagine the hoopla that would happen if Hasbro made this. You sir are a genius.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
Holy cow
That head is amazing but your paint job is masterful.

DEFINITIVE

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »
Absolutely fantastic!

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
Very nice man!

That cloak makes it even better!

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2021, 08:47:45 PM »
Thank you, guys! Here is the rest of it.

Chapter II: The Words
...and bunch of photos also

Composition: TVC Zorii Bliss torso, pelvis & thighs, TBS Ahsoka Tano arms, shins & feet, resin head, hands, armor plates & lightsabers, some epoxy clay sculpts, leather skirt, wired cloak, magnets.

Process: I began this figure last May and was working on her concurrently with Beskar Mando and Bo-Katan. Where those two figures were completed in quick succession, this one stalled a few times for various reasons. Here is a breakdown of how she came to be.

Body & Articulation

I decided early on to go with the combination of VC Zorii body and TBS Ahsoka limbs. The VC Zorii body had a soft collar that I cut off as well as fabric ripples and piping, holster straps, and an under bust detail that needed to be sanded down. The TBS Ahsoka arms and shins also had details that were sanded down to achieve the correct look and accommodate armor pieces. I shortened the limbs slightly by removing some material from the bottoms of the TBS figure’s forearms and Zorii’s thighs, dremeling further into them, and filling the deeper sockets with a small bit of clay. Although further adjustments were made over time, mainly to thin the limbs to achieve a slimmer look, the base combination remained the same. As you do, I also sanded the joint rotors to prevent paint rub. Many small sandpaper sheets lost their lives to make this action figure possible.

For some reason, preserving the TBS figure’s forearm rotors during heat and pop separation was a nightmare for this custom. I know at least two exploded on me during removal, and it’s possible that I sacrificed a third TBS Ahsoka to acquire a single pair of undamaged forearms for the custom.

When I began this custom, I did not have a printer (yes, that’s how long ago this was). My first attempt at articulating hands for this figure began with fashioning a ball wrist from an ABS rotor & peg that I slipped over a metal pin in the center of a VC Doctor Aphra hand (Hasbro+ style). The second attempt saw Zorii’s soft PVC hands dremeled out and slipped over a protruding wrist ball (cf, HiyaToys style hands). Ultimately, I was not satisfied with either and ended up taking a different route through printing. These early attempts at small articulated hands gave way to the pegged swap-outs that have since become the norm and were first seen on the Bo-Katan I made last year.

It was imperative to me that the custom be able to move like Ahsoka. Her wide, crouched stances while deflecting blaster bolts and dueling necessitated ball hips and rocker ankles. Unfortunately, there were zero Hasbro female figures with rocker ankles when I began working on the custom (now there is... one (?), The Armorer, with one more, Ahsoka herself, on the way). To accomplish the rocker here, I went once again with JoyToy joints. They are huge, and required quite a bit of material be removed before they fit the aesthetic or figure’s sockets properly, but they did their job well once installed.

Armor & Accessories

Once the body was assembled, I began sculpting the armor plates in epoxy clay. Removing the Zorii collar piece revealed a large rectangular cavity to hold the collar insert, so I sculpted a thin layer over the shoulders and upper bust terminating in the shape of the design on her top. The figure sat unfinished for so long that I eventually had replaced most epoxy clay with resin printed pieces; the only sculpted areas that remain on the completed figure are that shoulder & upper bust layer and her belt & faulds.

For her skirts and armor plate straps (wrists, shins, knees), I used some pieces of ultra thin .4mm leather which I attached with some dabs of Krazy Glue. I affixed the hip plates to the body with leather strips and superglue also, making sure to leave a small area between body and plate free of glue so that the plates could move upward while the figure was crouched. In hindsight, thin leather strips could have worked well for the faulds and would have been simpler, too. Her cloak was made using a stretchy, thin fabric of mostly modal with a wire running the edges and hood. It did not dye evenly as I intended it to, but the look grew on me.

I printed her two pairs of lightsaber hilts: one pair to attach to the hip plates, and another to hold the blades. The first pair I modified with a cavity on each side to hold the tiny neodymium magnets that would snap to those installed inside her hip plates. I sanded the tips of the lightsaber blades into points for accuracy. After a fellow customizer printed Hot Toys style swinging blades in 3.75” scale to great effect, I decided to make a third pair of swinging sabers for Ahsoka. After four prints using three different resins and three different dye combinations, I finally arrived at a color that matched the blue Hasbro blades that I had placed in the second pair of lightsaber hilts.

"You have made time an ally of the Rebellion!"

The first delay was caused by a printed head that I bought being incorrectly sized. Progress halted once more when I realized that I wasn’t satisfied with that design even when a replacement arrived in the size requested. Developing a new head that I could adjust and print myself to nail down sizing and fit delayed the custom further. I then lost the desire to work on the figure for a while after attempts to order a cardback for her broke down due to the seller’s communication failure. Then work with another project cast any significant progress on her aside once again. I thought Hasbro’s announcement of an official figure might be the nail in the coffin for this figure, but thanks to some wonderful encouragement, I developed a fifth or sixth wind. Every setback I have experienced with this custom has led us to this moment, and honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Progress Image Gallery

1.0 & Familiar Faces

Hands & Feet

Evolution

Fabrics

Final Fit Test

Pre Paint

Body Painting

Magnets ("How do they work?")

Lightsabers HT

Clear Coat

Puzzle pieces, organized

Is this 6 inch?!  ;)

Group photo

*Rotta the Huttlet went missing sometime between me taking these out for the photo and photo time.

I have no idea where he is...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2021, 05:39:44 AM »
It is just fantastic. I don't think I have seen such a finely detailed 3.75" Custom.

Truly a masterpiece. Like a Sideshow Figure or something high end along those lines. This is getting a lot of love on our FB Page too.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Off to the front pages with this latest update.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2021, 05:01:11 AM »
Well, I waited for a week now before commenting on your latest custom. So everyone reading this, don't say I said too much, here are my thoughts:

Never have I seen an Ahsoka with this level of detail and accuracy in 1/18 scale EVER before. Hence I plead for keeping your Ahsoka on the front page for a year - also because you worked on her for that long. Taking a Zorii Bliss figure to start with was a brilliant choice in my opinion! The sculpting work is phenomenal and the printed parts really impress me! Telling by the quality of the surafce you got to have a resin printer right?

She looks absolutely stunning! I've said this before, but the level of accuracy especially on her face is beyond limits, Aude! Eyes are so hard to paint and I struggle every time so I got most respect for your skills, man! Your Ahsoka is brutally brilliant starting from the costume design, to the choice of colors to the fine application of paints.
That's why I enjoy the last picture of your second post so much! Your Ahsoka makes ALL versions released by Hasbro so far look pale next to her.

The lightsabers are a masterpiece for themselves! I really like the tipped blades. And having some experience with casting, I know how much effort (and money) the mixing of epoxy resin can take. Glad you found the exact shade of blue rather quickly! The blade-in-motion effects are a brilliant addition to your perfect custom figure!

The soft goods cloak you made for her looks amazing! I know that I've always been amazed by the work and soft good costumes by StarAlien70. Your cloak doesn't need to be printed to fit perfectly. Probably another reason why Hasbro should consider to send you a job offer as designer.
Man, we got so many talented nerds on her - makes me quite proud.

Her chest armor and skirt, details on hips and pelvis look most impressive as well! I don't even know where to end here. As Sjefke said before, your custom is perfection!

To me this is the best Ahsoka I've ever seen! Makes me curious of how Hasbro's upcoming realisitic style TVC version will perform and look next to yours. I think you could win any custom contest with this one. And as if the female custom of Elias wasn't the hottest 3.75" action figure I've ever seen already, I'm confident to say that your Ahsoka will defend the rank of one of the best female custom 3.75" figures of all time period.
I'm blown to space with this one! This would be a prototype maybe if Boss Fight Studios had the license - I mean look at all these hands alone!! Not in my wildest dreams would I trust Hasbro to release such an incredible figure. As previous commentators also on Instagram said: This is the quality one expects from companies like HotToys - only in 1/6 scale not in 1/18. Being able to create such a figure and to achieve such a level of fine detail in this scale makes it most impressive to me.

Thank you for sharing this epic piece of custom art with us! I truly admire your skills, Aude. This is the definition of customizing.
That's all the words I could find for now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:10:16 AM by Darth More »