Author Topic: Yellowing: When your Army Turns Yellow over time...  (Read 14741 times)

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
Re: Yellowing: When your Army Turns Yellow over time...
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »
DARTH MORE... Bleach is okay I've tried it but its not super effective. I also get worried about plastic corrosion. Now mind you the peroxide will make it more brittle... You'll feel it on torsos'.... but its not anything crazy. Sometimes it adds a slight un-noticeable shrink (sure its the sun heat to my method) but it also ends up tightening the joints too! Which is a great bonus for beater figures! 8) Just watch out for color changes you don't want since the parts are different plastics.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:02:10 PM by (SID) »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:30 AM »
Option 2: If option 1 is not enough you can still lighten yellowed parts with...hydrogen peroxide!

I know it's all been done before, but here is my experiece with H2O2 and the result of my first experiment with this radical:

It's a sad fact that our collectibles will never look as white as they were brand new once they started yellowing. But this is a solution to get at least a little less yellow...or a little more white back - depending on your point of view:

Since hydrogen peroxide is a radical, I try to bring as little as needed in contact with the solution. So I took my "test trooper" apart first:

Single parts may float in the solution. Therefore I used a plastic tub and a straw to hold it under the surface:

Once exposed to sunlight you'll soon see bubbles at the part(s) you're bleaching:

All you need is:

- a pair of gloves (nitrile protective gloves)
- a pair of protection glasses/goggles
- a transparent box or similar container
- Hydrogen peroxide (I used a 3% solution from a pharmacy)
- Sunlight
- Time (depending on the weather and how close you are to the equator)

You can reuse the hydrogen peroxide solution several times for many parts. It will loose strength over time though and needs to be replaced every now and then depending on how much you use it.

And here's the result after about 7 hours in the sun:

Other figures might be harder to take apart. You can also isolate painted parts with wax. Keep in mind that Hydrogenperoxide will bleach all painted areas. Other paints may fade away so I recommend to you to isolate them in any case.

I also recommend to you to try the solution (SID) shared with us yesterday:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10634.msg214879#msg214879

Here's a tutorial on how to take apart and re-assemble action figures:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10179.msg206036#msg206036

If you have any questions or recommandations feel free to share them down below!

For more information on working with hydrogen peroxide I can recommend this video of LEGO fan JANGBiCKS here:

Also toypolloi shared another informative video on this topic:

- Philipp

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:21:03 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 03:55:24 AM »
Nice, time to go share this on the front pages.

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:14 AM »
I've done this a number of times, it's best with more powerful Hydrogen Peroxide, the kind you get at a salon shop. Sadly, it will most likely alway go back.
I did an Unleashed Padme a few years back, she's been stored in a dark corner on a bookshelf since. If you don't mind, I'll snag my old pictures, and take a new one to show the difference.

Offline (SID)

• Commander
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
JOERHYNO please see what you can dig up. The sooner we can all crack this once and for all: This hobby will be all the better for it!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
I've done this a number of times, it's best with more powerful Hydrogen Peroxide, the kind you get at a salon shop. Sadly, it will most likely alway go back.
I did an Unleashed Padme a few years back, she's been stored in a dark corner on a bookshelf since. If you don't mind, I'll snag my old pictures, and take a new one to show the difference.

Like (SID) says, your pictures would be awesome to add to this topic! I know many people work with 6% or even 11% solutions. I also spoke to a friend of mine who is a chemist. He says that there are ways to prevent (white/grey) plastic from yellowing. He suggested to use a special clear varnish against ultraviolet radiation. So that's something I'm going to try on my next new Stormtrooper.
It's good to see you back around Joerhyno!

- Philipp

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
Here are the pics I had on favebook. Haven't done this in a while, here's the stuff I used.
Then a pic of Padme in her fI'll yellowness, then in the solution and finally after I took her out.

Here is the text I had saved with the post:

May 28, 2017
"Did a little experiment with a $1 Perky Padme Unleashed figure I got from Derek Shriver
Used some Salon strength hydrogen peroxide in a bin for a couple of days. The bin I had wasn't exactly clear, so I had to do a couple days on one side and then flip her over for another couple of days. Happy with the results...
We have an indoor uv lamp for a hydroponics herbal garden so I put her near that on the rainy days we had (which has been a lot these past weeks)."

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:41:48 AM by Joerhyno »

Offline (SID)

• Commander
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »
Wow 😵  that's some change. Thanks for digging that up mate!

Not to sound crass... I know that variation was recalled BUT that's how Padme looked in the 2002 IMAX version  ::) it was kinda jarring, to the point the girls I was with "pointed" it out.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 04:06:14 AM »
I am wondering how hard it is to get your hands on that peroxide. I just got my hair cut last night. I will ask here the next time I get a haircut if she can get her hands on this type of solutions. Thanks for the pics Joe. Off to the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 04:26:32 AM »
That was some serious yellowing on Padmé there. She looks like new! I'll watch out for such solutions here, too! Thank you so much for sharing this prime example!

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Saw the front page and wanted to post today's image. Sometimes this isn't a permanent fix. It's hard to tell in the pic, I guess the only way would be to take a pic in the same lighting. But there is a little hint of yellow that came back, just so you guys know.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 08:20:10 AM »
Wonder if it would work again? Still it sure looks pretty good to me.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2019, 01:45:13 PM »
Adam Pawlus from Galactichunter and 16bit.com answered a question about yellowing in his latest Q&A session:

http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/qa-star-wars-yellowing-and-pits

"if only parts of the [2002-2003 releases like Clone Troopers, R2-D2, and some later ones like Commander Cody and the Vintage Saga Collection Scout Trooper action] figures turn yellow while other parts stay white, why aren’t they made entirely of the materials that don’t go yellow?
--Derek

This is the mystery of the ages! A lot of vintage 1980s figures have been seen with yellow torsos and white limbs, as well as white limbs and yellow torsos. Perhaps there's surgery to be done there.

Some of the figures from the 1970s through the 1990s turn yellow and while there are solutions like RetroBrite, they don't always work well or forever. The same kind of discoloration continues to happen, but around 2002 there's an added wrinkle - some of the discoloration isn't discolored plastic, but rather an oily residue that can be cleaned off using the right materials. I've had some "yellow" Saga troopers get cleaned up by wiping the limbs down with either a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or used dryer sheets.

As to why Hasbro doesn't make figures that last forever, I don't think they know which batches of plastic will go sour until years later. It's possible the factory is using a lesser grade without Hasbro being able to know for years later. It's possible there's just no desire for them to consider long-term whiteness and brightness of their figures. Longevity is a topic that comes up a lot when I'm talking with Hasbro people on this and other brands - some materials just don't last well for the ages. Clear plastic can be brittle. Several kinds of chrome deco cracks and flakes over time - look at some Beast Machines releases. It isn't always pretty to see what can happen through the years. White plastic and clear plastic do tend to discolor with age, and while there are some gems that seem like they'll never change color, I don't tend to be the kind of person that wants to test that against the fury of the sun.

Even with the best of testing and intentions, some things just plain don't last. Mattel had a number of issues with the foamy material used in its Matty Collector Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, which started to decay and discolor within a year - despite extensive testing to make sure the material was good. Was it a bad batch? Did the factory screw up? We may never know for sure. Collectors don't tend to talk a lot about older toys - and some stuff is packed away so we'll never see or realize damage was done for years."

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
"Yellowing" has many colors...

At first glance I thought there was a grey variant of Bilbo, but his red jacket actually faded to grey while being exposed to sunlight:

I'm going to repaint it in the exact purple color.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 07:15:09 AM »
That is crazy. I am telling you sunlight just changes any type of plastics. I won't even leave my canoe or kayak outside because of this same damage. I think it also weakens the plastic.