Author Topic: Yellowing: When your Army Turns Yellow over time...  (Read 14742 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Yellowing: When your Army Turns Yellow over time...
« on: September 03, 2019, 06:10:19 AM »
So here's another issue all army-builders and collectors of Clone Troopers and Imperial Stormtroopers know:

It's a bitter truth that their torsos turn yellow over time. And there are plenty rumors why they do so!

Do they turn yellow because I smoke at home? Or is it because I usually touch my troops by hand? Maybe the lipids on my skin make them all grey n greasy...
Or does it have to do anything with the sun? And is there anything I can do about it?

You can find the answers here:

I actually wanted to share this in my custom action figure thread "Restoring Star Wars Action Figures", but I think one can find this frequently asked question here easier.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10179.0

Let's dive into the world of mystery and chemistry here...

So while you wait for me to finish this article you can listen to this song:

Coldplay - Yellow

As a small army-builder and BIG fan of Clone Troopers, this is by far the most frustrating topic to me. Personally I think this is a scandal! It's like buying food - with an expiration date! Like many of you know, I'm a big fan of Clone Troopers (in case I haven't mentioned that already...). Some of them were always hard to find since their release and most of all Clone Troopers reach premium prices on the secondary market by now - due to a lack of supply by Hasbro! And seeing them yellow is just a massive pain in the...teeth!
And this is no (...) joke! Some of us have spent hundreds if not THOUSANDS of dollars on our armies (like Actionfigureexpert).
I started collecting in 2005. Most of the Clone Troopers of the ROTS line have yellowed by now. Even the VC06 Clone Trooper from 2010 (well I just realize that's 9 years ago already!!) has a yellow torso now...they just shouldn't change like that!

Talking about the manufacturer:

I wrote Hasbro Germany about my deepest concerns. But they told me they were not in charge of design & development. I should write to Hasbro Inc. on Rhode Island. So I did.
But! The system recognized that I was writing from Germany and redirected my e-mail back to Germany. So this was my try to tell Hasbro about it - so far!

But why does it happen? And which kind of material is affected?

Well, it happens to all hard PVC plastic parts in white and grey such as LEGO bricks or torsos of Hasbro's action figures that are fairly cheap!
For some reason the plastic/rubber used by Hasbro for arms and legs don’t seem to by affected.

But why does it happen?

It's actually the energy of the sun light that causes a chemical chain reaction. Once the sun shines onto the white or grey plastic for long enough it is only a matter of chance that the energy of the light is sufficient to break the carbon-chains of the white dye in the material (spontaneous fission). In the likely event of generating a carbon radical chem. the chain reaction is started.
Here is an example of how this happens:

And it cannot be stopped unless two radicals collide (which is very unlikely, but not impossible). Those radicals break more carbon-chains and destroy the dye/color so that it appears rather yellow to our eyes from then on...
It's called radical substituition. Once a chain is divided into two radicals they split another carbon-chain which resukts in two other radicals. And then the decay has started. The time it takes to turn your trooper into a lemon depends on the amount of radicals within the material.
So keep your white/grey plastic soldiers out of the sun! Even indirect sunlight can cause radicals.

In most cases the torsos change color, but sometimes the entire figure evenly turns yellow over time...isn't it magic..?

So can you do anything about it? The answer is: kind of...

There are three options:

Option 1: If you recieve (used) dirty figures I can recommend to you to wash them before adding them to your collection. Wash them with water, soap and a cheap (but new) tooth-brush.
Sometimes the dirt is not visible before and your figures will look much brighter after taking a bath.
For serious dirt you can also use magic erasers by Mr. Clean (or similar sponges), but beware of paint rubbing!

Option 2: If option 1 is not enough you can still lighten yellowed parts with...Hydrogenperoxide!

Option 3: If you're not happy with the results of bleaching with H2O2, then you can still bite into that lemon and repaint the yellowed parts in white, make customs out of them (repaint in different color) or even kit-bash your troops...or just burn them.

More on that later. Most of you have most likely heard about this technique already...

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:13:18 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Yellowing: When your Army Turns Yellow over time...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:00:24 AM »
Wow, another great tutorial. Very nice.

I can see you adding to this by showing how to do the three steps you have below.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »
Thank you Tamer. I will most certainly do so! So stay tuned for more pictures. They are all ready to be shared. I worked a bit with Hydrogenperoxide at the beginning of the summer and it worked quite well! Actually the torso of that red Phase I Clone Trooper is already bleached - it was much darker (yellow) before.

Offline DS-61-22

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »
Thanks form the info, and this really does suck the amounts of money spent this shouldn’t have to be a concern. Can’t wait to see more

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »
My collection is in the basement, away from the sun and I’m a non-smoker, but second hand clones and troopers from eBay and from figure bins at comic-cons are in all kinds of bad condition.  Yellowed figures do tend to be cheaper, sooooo......

I haven’t had great success with H2O2,
 so I’ve had to resort to a very dilute bleach solution.

That whitens my Troopers pretty well, but I don’t know the long term effects.

Thank you for posting this, BTW.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:48:19 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
See kids, this is why you need to take chemistry! :) Actually, this is a great write-up Philipp (my daughter just graduated with a degree in bio-chemistry, so we are very pro-chemistry at our house), with really good explanation. I think Tamer is right, follow ups on the treatments might be a good idea. Like Sjefke, I'm a non-smoker and I store my figures in the cellar - limited temperature fluctuations and dark - so I haven't experienced this yellowing issue, but I know a lot of other folks have so I appreciate that you are sharing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:06:26 AM »
I would love to hear more about this bleach treatment too! Good thoughts running wild, I like it!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 03:07:46 AM »
DS-61-22: Yes, absolutely does it suck! I will try to reach out to Hasbro, again and think we all should make noise on this issue and serious financial damage. Thanks for your comment! Much appreciated!

Sjefke: Yes, that's a good point! The bleaching effect depends on how high the H2O2 concentration in the solution is. Other solutions also work with Chloride components.
About the long term effects...well, it's like fighting fire with fire. So there is no return to pale white, but this should not happen in the first place. Hasbro must solve this issue because it tremendously sucks! Thanks for your comment, I'm always happy when you check my content!

Starchaser: Thanks for coming by Starchaser! And congratulations to your daughter! I had Bio-chemistry in 3rd and 4th semester and advanced chemistry at High School - always loved chemistry! And I'm going to ask people at university if they know a solution for both: Hasbro to improve and find an affordable solution and for us left alone with our lemon troops...

Smoking adds to the yellow nightmare, but the smoke of cigarettes etc. turns everything into a yellow-brown miracle and your lungs into a black hell. Anyhew thanks for your comment! I'm thrilled to share more on this topic!

Tamer: Thanks Tamer! All pictures are taken and I'm thrilled to share more! I'm very happy about this nice and plentyful feedback!

Thank you gentlemen and stay tuned for more on Option 1-3!

- Philipp

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 03:12:07 AM »
Option 1: Water & Soap Can Do Magic Already!

So this way of bringing back the brightness to your troops is obviously pretty self-explanatory. So whenever I buy loose figures online I carefully look at the pictures provided and hope that they come from a non-smoking home. Sometimes I even ask. But if they do you can get the smell out over time with water, soap and much fresh air. The smell diffuses over time in a neutral environment. But the wasing water will turn significantly darker.
Anyway warm water and soap do much magic against dirt, lipids and dust. I always use a neurtal soap - no scent or perfume added.

So this is the last batch of troops I got from ebay for 63€ shipped and it includes many prime examples for this topic:

You can also check out my other topic on restoring figures where I initally wanted to share all this:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10179.0

And as always a shoutout to forum member FialaFernbrugg who inspires me a lot on these soapy-water-in a-bowl pictures. Check out his custom figures here:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1624.1185

This is just an older picture from 2017:

And here are the before and after pictures for comparison:

Magic Erasers and other magic sponges:

So in the next step I'm going to gently go over the remaining dirt and stains with a magic eraser by Mr. Clean (not sponsored). Beware of rubbing too hard and leave out painted areas as good as you can to avoid that you take off parts of the figure's factory-applied paint.
(If you want to remove this paint by Hasbro you can go ahead and solve it with acetone or other srong solvents.)

I think I am going to remove the highlighting marker stains on the TFU Jumptrooper with some alcohol, acetone or other solvent. More on that later.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:15:38 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 06:14:37 AM »
Cool deal. Thank you for continuing this. I can't wait to see you share the other methods too. With this thread folks will be able to restore their action figures to their pristine goodness!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 10:06:38 PM »
Great pictures. Thanks for continuing the thread. Its good to see that something as simple as soap and water can help out.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:49:02 AM »
My solution I call: D'ultimate

FIRST just rinse off the figure. Then use dish soap which has a degreaser and just smother the item/figure/etc. Let it sit then use slightly warmish water and tooth brush to scrub it all down. This will get the grime off.

SECOND when you have few ready/done put them in clear glass container and add dish soap, laundy detergent, (salt if REALLY disgusting), hydrogen peroxide and finally the "secret ingredient" OXY CLEAN (use quite a bit). When you have a reasonable little pool of this crazy sludge on bottom your good.

THIRDLY you run hot water from fauset and add JUST A BIT to container to "activate" and close lid. Shake the heck out of the container until it is thinned out. Now let it sit like 4-5 mins. Shaking a few times. Once temp on container has cooled down (not cold) open it back up and slowly fill the remainder of the container with warm-ish water. Once full ur good. Seal it back up and give it a few light clockwise/counter clockwise shakes to help contents settle.

FOURTHLY, and most important step: Place glass container directly in the sun... A location where it will always be getting rays. A window ceil for instance. For the super adamant, place it directly outside during the daytime. This step can last days or weeks depending on your desirability or the condition you wish to achieve. More yellow = More time etc. Now remember to at least a few times a day to shake the container to both let the solution NOT settle but also to move the objects inside around for maximum exposure/treatment. Open and move/re-shuffle items when necessary, but always keep the lid closed for treatment sake.

FINALLY, Once you have noticed the desired amount. Simply open and pull out items "ready" for final rinse. Lay items out and let them dry, after enough time Use the toothbrush and running water (slightly warm) to clean off the solution. This can take a few times to make sure its off (and out... Aka the inside too) of item. It will look brighter than ever, but yes... Keep rinsing it until you know its (the solution) is really gone from the item. I mean really "go to town" over and over since you want none of that left. Period.

Just let items/figures/etc. Air dry and afterwards you'll notice not only the brightest finish but will be really nice clean smelling!

Now WORD of caution: Not all plastics are the same exact materials so some can... And will often change color... As In a NEW color. So always keep an eye out. Its like how you don't want to over cook food (whatcha think the sun was for 😉) BUT as a customizer I've found this is a fantastic way to get new original parts, you can even use dyes in the mixture or left-over solution to take it even further. Example: Black RIT DYE will give you the nicest shades of blue or purple-ish to the various types of plastics. I personally love doing this with figures that kids have "customized" with pens and markers on clone troopers etc. the stuff that won't come off becomes part of the design adding new color variations and markings with the solution/dye. Afterwards just make sure you really OVER wash the parts since you don't want dye leaking/dripping out or rubbing off. This can sometimes take many rise/dry attempts.

Have fun my friends.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:14:05 AM by (SID) »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »
Nice. Very nice. I am off to share this!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 02:14:42 PM »
(SID): Wow, that sound like a solid recipe to make everything shine in a new light! Again, thanks for sharing! I'm sure this is certainly the ultimate cocktail against yellowing!

Tamer: I wanted to wait for your reply. Knew you'd like it! I'm glad (SID) shared his recipe because I have not much experience with bleaching.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
The case of the Jumptrooper

First, I want to apologize to all who have waited so long for me to continue this. The shame & blame is all on me. Before I moved I recognized that the TFU Jumptrooper I got new in the multipack started to yellow at his pelvis. Only at the front part. I wanted to compare it with the one I got used and recognized that both have the same issue at the same area.

Well, it gave me a hell of a time to take a good picuture of the process. And now after I've moved, I don't find the pictures anymore. I'm afraid the pics are gone along with those of the MH Speeder Bike comparison. That's quite a pain in the toes, but also the reason for the delay.

I'll just post pictures of the troopers here later.

The essential part here is:

I was able to remove the yellowed layer with a piece of the MAGIC ERASER! So the yellowing process wasn't that asvanced. The abrasive surface of the sponge removed the damaged plastic layer. Success here!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:38:10 AM by Darth More »