Author Topic: Centurions Corner  (Read 11589 times)

Offline Centurions Corner

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
Centurions Corner
« on: May 16, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
Hi everyone.

I'm Steve and I've just started to collect Star Wars Black Series figures, what got me into them was I saw Captain Rex for cheap and ive always wanted to collect them but over the years my biggest collection was Lego. Years ago I had all the orginal kenner figures (played with) and been a fan of star wars for many years. Once the POTF figures came out I went mad I purchased every figure going my collection was huge from Jawa with his Ronto, Rancor to ROTJ Luke in a mini Tatooine planet..

But I had to leave home and I sold it all for 100 GBP gutted but I needed it gone.

So for years I never bothered making a newer Star Wars collection. But...Clone Wars came out and #OMG I loved it and I loved the clones my collection started again but only CW nothing else I had a thing for clones with removable helmets! but time changed and I gave them to my son.

So I purchased this BS Rex and wow! what a figure shame its not his 1st appearance. So I thought ill just get the clones.. Wolffe 35GBP was next brilliant but some thing was missing if only these clones were phase 1 like the figures I used to collect.

So I watched and looked and a lot of customs and ive watched many people doing them over the years so I thought ill give it a go. So I got paints brushes everything I wanted to do I watched a video on youtube.

So here we are I've now got a small collection of Black Series as it looks like now ill be getting most figures recently it was my birthday and the wife got me plenty.. but my main aim is CW. That's Phase 1 Clones. So I started with Gree and here is my 1st finished custom. I use Bootleg phase 1 body's lots of research.

Background on my art history is I've always been good at art enjoy it time to time i get board. Never used a paint brush on a model or in years I'm 38 and last time I used Paints and a brush was making rainbows hated painting even DIY. But I have a good little brain on my side which always finds ways to make things with little ideas. Anyways please check out my New Youtube channel I've loaded up a couple of customs and will bring some stranded reviews as well but its only early days. So while I'm waiting on my next customs to dry... Here is my Video

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Centurions Corner
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:13 AM »
Once again welcome. Interesting to see how our collecting trends build and wane and build and wane over the years. I can associate with a lot your history.

Your first video is now on our front pages!

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:07 AM »
Thank you.

Yeah collections do change abit like tastes as we get older.

Just released another vid this morning.

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:04:50 AM »
Thank you.

Yeah collections do change abit like tastes as we get older.

Just released another vid this morning.

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
Waxer and boil

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:56:45 AM »
Very nice. I liked these figures when they came out too. Off to the front pages again.

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
Thanks Tamer.

Guys just a question im completely new to youtube, But every video I bring out im trying to better myself.

My question what do you look for in a youtube video, is it that more personal opinion or a more well rounded polished look?

Would you like new content most days? every day? once a week?

I've got a few ideas coming and im gonna try reviewing regular black Series figures, I ll show off some Lego as well.

My next Episode im about to record I was thinking maybe going live with it? its only a sgt clone and making him abit beat up. As I already released a video going live on same day is that to much content?

Actually more than one question but its only early days with 13 subs lol but I don't want to annoy.

Peace out !

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 05:25:52 AM »
As for reviewing figures here is what I like to know:

1. What type of movement or articulation does the figure have?
2. How does the sculpt match up to the figure?
3. Is the paint decent?
4. How does this compare to other iterations of the figure if there are any?
5. How does this figure lend itself to customization? Are there parts that would make a neat figure, etc.?

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 06:35:18 AM »
Thanks Tamer

Lol well I had ago at my 1st attempt im trying not to sound to scripted but then if im not i cant get my words out lol.

This is more of a trial and error i guess and need abit more room than my... corner.

But I try and put abit of my humour in there as well.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 02:24:53 AM »
Very nice. Off to share to the front pages.

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 04:09:21 AM »
Thanks, its abit like a polish turd at the moment but I'm new to video editing as well.

But again every video I'm learning new parts, do you have a portfolio of shipyards i can copy and paste in the description?

New vid went live today. Simple paint up on the sgt bootleg.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
Hi Steve,

it's great you joined us here on Imperialshipyards! I haven't gotten to comment on all the videos you shared here, yet. So I'll try my best to add everything here that I haven't included in my comments on YouTube.

Star Wars, memories and getting into collecting:

I agree with Tamer here. Our collecting focus and habits change as much as we change as person over the years. I got my very first Star Wars action figure from my parents in 1999. It was Darth Maul and I was one happy 6-year-old kid back then. My parents didn't allow me to watch the movies though. In 2005 my family visited our relatives in New York and we went to Toys "R" Us. The Star Wars shelf there caught my attention because it was LOADED with figures and vehicles and I fell in love with Clone Troopers. That day I got Anakin's Jedi Starfighter and #41 Clone Trooper. The fever had caught me.
I actually wanted to see Revenge of the Sith in theatre, but I was too late once I got time and enough pocket money. So I started with A New Hope, which I watched with my dad.
So I can well understand you getting into Star Wars again with Captainn Rex of the Black Series! The 1/12 scale is pretty exciting and hands down Rex is one of Hasbro's best figures of their beloved Black Series. It's awesome that you grew up with Star Wars and Lucas' original trilogy. We all share priceless memories of our childhood and how we discovered Star Wars. You can read more about me and my addiction to Star Wars in my entry of this very topic.
Sometimes we just have to let go things. It's the memories that remain and nobody can take them from us. Is it needing money and selling your collection, loosing it in a fire or in flooding. It always hurts, but we have to let go as Lucas let us know through one of his best characters.
Having sold your stuff shouldn't make you feel sad anymore. No regrets because the money helped you get where you are today and today you can afford to get your most beloved collectibles back.

Getting back into collecting.
It's great that you enjoy the animated Clone Wars series that much! I started collecting Star Wars in 2005. I've always collected stuff starting with feathers, rocks, toy cars, Pokémon and so much more. In the meantime Darth Maul was almost forgotten in one of my toy boxes. He was the first thing I looked for after we returned from New York. And I found him right away. He stands next to the Clone Trooper in one of my glass cabinets since then.

You made a good point on Rex! He is a brilliant figure and one of the best characters of the Clone Wars. Hasbro decided to release him in his Phase II armor first, which I find odd, too, but I'm confident that we'll get him in Phase I armor as well down the road.

Reanimation of the hobby and making videos for YouTube

Well, it sounds as if you decided to make videos of your hobby quite spontaneously! Starting the hobby and getting into customizing is one great thing. But I think making YouTube videos is a challenge (at least to me). Do you have any experience with making videos? Because your first upload is pretty remarkable! Reading how you got into customizing is pretty impressive! There are thousands of new YouTube channels every single day and even some of the older ones don't have videos of that quality you do! Your videos are very well done and get even better with every new upload.

There are only a few channels on YouTube showing custom figures. Finding them is not quite easy, too! I also enjoy looking for custom figures & vehicles on YouTube, but most videos are about LEGO customs and my-own-creations...which is still great, but I was looking for Hasbro ones. So it's tough to find these channels. That's why I said your channel is such a win to YouTube and the customizer community! We need more of your kind!

It's good to hear that your wife supports you with your hobby, too! I'm happy that she got you some figures to your birthday, too!

I also do a lot of research before I start a project - has always lead me to good results.
One can really see that you enjoy what you're doing and that you got serious talent. I really enjoy listening to you and looking at your work of art.
I think it's not the best way to go with one video a day, though. I know you're on fire right now, but it should stay fun. As long as you can make one video a day, it's great. But you don't have to feel like you HAVE to make one. Channels with thousands or even millions of subscribers have to make videos that frequently in order to make money and their sponsors happy. You don't make money with YouTube, yet. So I wouldn't put so much pressure to myself. If you have time and motivataion to make so many videos, just go for it. But you can slow down any time. I know quite a few people being exhausted from YouTube, comments on there and making videos. One example is Terranscapes - I absolutely admire this guy! He finally quit his channel 3 weeks ago because it had become too much for him and he didn't get as much feedback out of it as the effort he put into it.
Here's a link to his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Terranscapes

Your customs:

Commander Gree was the very first custom figure of yours that I saw. I already commented on most of your custom Clone Troopers and I really enjoy what I see there! Gree, Boil & Waxer, Echo & Fives, the Phase I Commander and so much more! I think you did an outstanding job on all of them. Each of them has its own favorite and unique properties.

Thank you also for your latest video on how you scratched and weathered your Clone Sergeant! The scratches and weatherig look brilliant! As said on YouTube I think the Sergeant and Officer both look as if Hasbro made them. Apparently your customs have much more detail than Hasbro will ever give us.
It's also great to know that you still have a reliable (& cheap) source for these bootleg figures! You can build your Clone Trooper army, quickly with AliExpress ;) 

To your reviews:

Tamer already listed the most important things. I'm interested in the price you paid for the item. Comparing them is also good as long as you have previous released to compare to.
Your review of TBS Mace Windu made me chuckle! The picture of Mace and Obi-Wan is just too funny! 
I really enjoyed watchting videos of SithLord229 back in the days. He was actually the reason why I got on YouTube in the first place. If you already know him (his name is also Steve), his reviews might inspire you, too!
I really hope to make some videos, too!

So until then keep up the great work, please!

Thanks for joining the Yards!

- Philipp

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:59:34 AM by Darth More »

• Cadet
  • TK5031/Centurion
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 01:10:30 PM »
Darth More,

Your words of kindness means a lot so thank you so much.

Today has been a pretty shit day, couple weeks ago I lost my brother-in-law and today we had his final fair well.

So coming home and reading this is good.

Also I had a message on my comments from Mike Kaess who I admire on YT.

This week I'm going start building on my foundations instragam,FB and twitter. Only one I used to use was FB. So again will be more learning.

1 reason why I was getting the videos out there was to have some content for a reason to sub wanted to show people what my channel was about rather than see 1 video and lose me in the wind forever.

As alot of positive  feedback has come back from my sgt ill do a few videos of a WIP of my next custom which will be DUM DUM DEEER Commander Ponds.

As far as experience with videos and editing it is a big fat 0 never done it before. Creating thumbnails, adding intro and outros, and youtube as a hole. Ive learned and watched video tutorials or simpling just trying it out.

If anyone is good at making logos I'd love one. 1 I got at the moment is an image off google...shhh lol.

I film videos on my S9 galaxy and post with my 1st vids now I put them through a editor called VSDC as one called filmora or something I had to pay so I don't know if or I be making alot of vids but I know its better quality so maybe 1 day.

I wanted to create Thumbnails and make them look official as you said its really hard to find custom videos and when you find it its someone mumbling this is my custom...bye, No ideas how or what they used to create them, then you need to go and do research which is what I did, being completely new to it you don't know what brushes, paints and other things to use. So I wanted to make videos clear and easy to say hey! give it ago and this is how you do it and this is what I used. With a bright Thumbnail its not going to get missed.

Right I'm off to watch Game of thrones with a Kebab and the wife as I Learnt today do what you Love as we only here once, And say things to make others happy.

So Philpp again thank you for your words seriously means alot!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 02:28:16 AM »
Glad you are getting a bit of joy in what sounds like a bad day.

Great new video, off to share on the front pages. I do like how you share everything about what to do to get a good custom.

As for a portfolio about the Yards I am not sure what you are meaning? We do have links for Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. And if you would like to use one of those to point folks to our areas thank you very much! It is folks like you and Darth More and the other Shipyarders that have continued to point people here where folks can just get good advice about the hobby, without the harshness and negativity that perhaps might pop up other places.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 03:11:40 AM »
Centurions Corner I'm sorry about your loss. My condolence to you and your sister.
Reading that you feel a little better makes me happy, too. I'm glad that Mike Kaess commented on your latest video, too! I think he even gave my comment a like. Anyway I subbed to his channel now. I also like the thumbnail you used for the video with the Sergeant holding the scalpel.

Thank you four reply and sharing with us how you make your videos, too! I'll get into this and probably try some of the software you mentioned, too.

Again, your review on Mace Windu is much fun to watch! You convinced me of the quality of this figure and made me look out for him. Staractionfigures.co.uk actually have him for 18.95 GBP.

So thank you once again for your great work! Unfortunately I don't have any experience in making logos. I don't have one myself. But I'm working with some graphic software at the moment so maybe I can make one down the road.

Tamer Yes, I mention the yards every time I talk about me and my hobby and that I share all my custom projects here. Thanks for your Admin support!

- Philipp