Author Topic: college educations...  (Read 1657 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
college educations...
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »
Just thought it'd be intersting to hear what everyone has went to school for, how much they completed, and what they did with their education for those who are finished.

as for me, I'm in my last semester of school at Murray State University in Kentucky and if all goes well will recieve a bachelors degree for Environmental Geology.  I haven't realy decided on doing grad school and going for my masters as of yet and will probably take a break from school and get some real world job experience before doing so....

as for jobs... I realy don't know what I'll be doing.  It's been my dream to move out west to wyoming or arizona and work at some of the big national parks dealing with geology and/or paleontology.  I realy loved vacationing out there and would realy like to work at Fossil Butte National Monument.  Fossil Butte has the worlds best fossil record of eocene fresh water fauna in the world...  I brought back litterally tons of fossil fish when I went out there 2 years ago....
I have also been considering looking into positions at Dinosaur National Monument or the Grand Canyon.

My only fear with the national park system is that to go anywhere with them you have to start out as a seasonal worker doing very meanial jobs...  I would have to get my masters to start out as a staff geologist or something like that. :(

Other choices I might have is possibly working for an oil company or the USGS (united states geological survey).  unfourtunately everything I've looked at so far again want master's degrees or so many years of on the job experience.... 

I have also considered being a stay at home dad and selling customs full time!  :P  lol

anyways... so you guys that have gone to, or are going to college tell us what your major/minor/etc was/is and what you plan on/or are doing with it!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: college educations...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
I went to school, originally for Architecture.  I love drafting, and can draw some really nice homes.  However, I'm not a very good scholar, and after 4 years of never really getting into any program, or even attaining an Associates, I left.  I worked here and there, but it wasn't until I spoke to a couple of firemen that I got interested in that field.

I attended EMT school and loved it, so I applied to several full time fire departments, and after about 3 or 4 years, got hired full time and went to Paramedic school.  I love my job, and only wish I had gotten into it straight out of high school.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »
I have a bachelors in Social Sciences with minors in all branches. I also am close to masters in most of those too if I can just decide what I want to do as well as a masters in educational leadersip (administration). I will be honest, college didn't and still doesn't prepare me to deal with my major clientelle. I started out taking courses while still in the ARMY and then just seemed to go from there. I will say I like being a student and a teacher and each has its merits. Still, one has to make sure the major pays the bills.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
I went to school for Police science and criminal justice. I do absolutly nothing to do with my schooling as I work as a GMP compliance manager for a nutraceutical company, prior to this position I held a food scientist position. Schooling gets you a piece of paper than can open a door but then your body of work and aptitude leads you more.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »
I went to a couple of schools to pursue a bachelor of fine arts degree. I didn't have the focus to be a decent scholar at the time and felt I might have been more dedicated at a later age. Like a lot of jobs, that degree might get you in the door but to really get a great job you need either luck, or a friend or relative in the right place. So it seems anyway.
  I don't regret not getting my degree as I know that it is likely that I would be suffering right now if I had. I like my job and feel that I am in a better place.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
Yepper, I have to say I agree that a degree is just a piece of paper, it is the aptitude a person has that determines thier success, degree or no degree.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:03:37 AM »
I sure hope that is the case!  As I said previously... the majority of positions I've looked at aplying for want someone with alot more experience and schooling than I have aquired as of yet. I hope that if I apply to the position anyway they will hire me based on other criteria!

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
Well, cue the laughter track. . .

I  have over 200 undergraduate credit hours, yep, approximately 65 full semester classes, under my belt.  My bachelors is in Criminology(at MSU, I think its now Criminal Justice/Sociology double major) with minors in safety, military science, and biology.

I got my masters in Occupational Safety and Health Program Management with an emphasis in Industrial Hygiene(air quality/ergonomics, that sort of thing, not cleaning teeth, lol) and I've got my EMT, HAZWoPPer, and GSP certifications.  Hehe, I'm also a level 3 tax consultant for HRBlock, which I think is just as much BS as the above, :)

Of course, thats all on paper, lol.  I'm a stay at home dad and that crap is just on the wall.

Currently, I'm working on an associates in general studies at the local community college and looking at mechanical/chemical/insert random engineering, :)  Mostly for fun, also considering pharm school. . .or masseur, lol.

Degrees and experience, ehhhh, I've never had a problem getting a job, but then again, my problem has always been keeping them< :)