Author Topic: Star Wars: The Battlefront Project - Pandemic BF I & II - EA/DICE BF I & II  (Read 18369 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
I've been playing around with this idea for a while now. And I think for better structure and overall view I dedicate an own topic to this project .

I grew up with Pandemic's STAR WARS Battlefront I & II released in 2004 and 2005. And there is no other video game that inspired me more for my Star Wars custom work than Battlefront II, including figures, vehicles and dioramas.

Be prepared for tons of reference material of in-game screenshots and custom figures!

Star Wars Battlefront (2004) & Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) | Breadballer Retrospective Ep. 1
double-click for full screen view

Read the full story about the entire STAR WARS Battlefront Series by following this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront#Star_Wars:_Battlefront

Here's a quick info for all four releases:

STAR WARS Battlefront (SWBf)

Studio: Pandemic Studios
Publisher: LucasArts (console and PC), THQ(cellular)
Producer: Christopher Williams
Designer: Jens Hartvig Andersen
Artist(s): Dean Betton, Matthew Palmer, Juan L. Sanchez
Platforms: Windows, PlayStation 2, Xbox Macintosh/Mac OS (released 07/2005), Mobile phone (released 11/2005)
Release: September 21, 2004

Source: Wikipedia
Read the full article by following the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront

STAR WARS Battlefront II (SWBfII)

Studios: Pandemic Studios, Savage Entertainment
Publisher: LucasArts
Producer: Christopher Williams
Director: Eric Gewirtz
Designer: Peter Dellekamp Siefert 
Platforms: PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Windows, Xbox
Release: EU: October 31, 2005, NA: November 1, 2005

Source: Wikipedia
Read the full article by following the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront_II_(2005_video_game)

A third part of this successful series was surrounded by mysteries, rumors and confusion. By 2008 a  gameplay teaser of the beta version was leaked online. Rumors were also confirmed that Free Radical Design had been developing Battlefront III, but eventually lost the license to publish it due to several "regularly missed deadlines" and the fact that Free Radical "could not devote sufficient resources to the game". It was later revealed that the game was technically done and ready to launch by 2008, but it never did. And then there was silence.

In 2013 EA DICE announced of well-known Electronic Arts announced that they aquired a license from LucasArts on E3. The colaboration was meant to last for several years.
In 2015 they released their STAR WARS: Battlefront to be followed by Battlefront II in 2017. More parts (and DLCs) to come for sure...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 02:44:57 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Star Wars: The Battlefront Project - Pandemic BF I & II - EA/DICE BF I & II
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:18:27 AM »
Table of Contents:

Page 1:

- STAR WARS Battlefront Project: Project introduction - Reply #0
- Clone Marine (Space Assault) - Reply #2

- Clone Commander Vaks (607th Legion Map Pack,  Battlefront II Mod) - Reply #10

Page 2:

Reference screenschots & ideas - Reply #

Page 3:

- Clone ARC Trooper (green - Star Wars Battlefront II Mod) - Reply #30

Please also take a look at my other various custom figure projects after the jump:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10186.msg198186#msg198186

Upcoming customs on my list:

- Clone Jet Trooper (Phase I - Star Wars Battlefront I & II)
- Destroyer Droid - complete repaint only with Citadel paints
- Airborne Trooper/Clone Sharpshooter (327th Legion)
- Clone Assassin

And much more to come!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:06:17 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:23:27 AM »
So let's cick off this project with a five-minute-custom!

I was inspired by a modded Old Republic era Space Assault in SWBfII and here it is:

Clone Marine (GAR)

- comes with the Battlefront Extreme (BfX) Mod for any standard Space Assault map of the Clone Wars era.
- received some nice improvements like better texture and stronger equipment with the Extreme Mod

Reference: in-game screenshots

My version is pre-installed in German, but further reference pics will also include English mods.

In-action footage:

The above shot was the toughest one and I'm very happy it worked because the laser shots were not shown in the 'free camera' mode first. And I had to press 'forward', 'shoot' and 'ESC' and aim at the Pilot Droid at the same time - not the easiest task to do... ;)

All you need are three things:

Recipe:
- Clone Trooper (ROTS) - TAC SAGA Legends 2007, UPC Number: 6 53569 24848 4
See the full gallery on rebelscum's photo archive: http://www.rebelscum.com/TACSLcloneROTS.asp
- Sandtrooper Backpack - e.g. TLC II Sandtrooper, TVC VC14 Sandtrooper
- DC-15 Blaster Rifle - new version from e.g. TVC VC45 Clone Trooper (Phase I)

Comment: I know this is a very easy custom to make, so nothing special really. But I thought it would be a great one to start this seperate project of mine with. Plus you know I love Clone Troopers and the Grand Army of the Republic.
I actually had the backpack and the DC-15 rifle in my fodder bin and was surprised and happy about that find!
I'm also going to make a mold for the backpack to cast it in resin and remove the three parts on the inside. Then, it will fit even better. Right now, the backpack is only fixed with tape.
I'll also add some slight weathering on the final version of the Clone Marine so that it looks exactly like in the reference pictures. I'm going to use one of my fodder Clones or one from tunghori...let's see.

I still it's a step back that Hasbro made new sculpts for the Clone Trooper Phase I & II as part of The Vintage Collection. Despite more articulation, they are also taller now and the joints are more fragile. I keep sticking to the ROTS #41 super-articulated Clone Trooper. It remains my top choice and favourite maybe also because it was the very first Clone Trooper I got at Toys "R" Us in New York back in 2005.
By the way have you heard that FAO Schwarz will return to Manhattan in November 2018?

Please, let me know what you think! I hope you can make one Clone Marine, too, of you like it!

I wish you all a great start into the weekend!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:00:13 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:09:24 AM »
Looks spot on with your reference shots.

off to share.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:24:38 AM »
- "Sometimes all you need is the right parts."
- Indeed!
Thank you Tamer! Yes, I actually had the backpack and the DC-15 rifle in my fodder bin and was surprised and happy about that find!
I'm also going to make a mold for the backpack to cast it in resin and remove the three parts on the inside. Then, it will fit even better. Right now, the backpack is only fixed with tape.
I'll also add some slight weathering on the final version of the Clone Marine using one of my fodder Clones or one from tunghori...let's see.

Have a good weekend, Tamer! I hope things go well for you, too! You do an incredible job for all of us on here. Thank you for your constant and reliable support on here!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:37:32 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 06:44:30 AM »
Looking at everyone's works of art is what I do for fun. I really enjoy showcasing this type of work.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Nice job sourcing this figure. It will be interesting to see how this project develops - there are so many possibilities!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 03:20:52 AM »
@Tamer: Thank you for the thumps up! I really enjoy being a member of this awesome community!

@Starchaser: Yes, absolutely! I just love the Battlefront series from Pandemic! I have only played EA's Battlefront once, yet, but took some reference pictures while my brother was playing. Talking about references: I've taken 315 MB of reference screenshots so far with about 600 KB for a single screenshot. I have countless Clone Troopers and different characters on my list and just cannot wait to realize them in 1/18 scale.
Thank you very much for your feedback, Starchaser! I hope to find the time to post my next custom, which is already done, soon!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:37:18 AM by Darth More »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 12:53:22 AM »
That is a very interesting type of Clone Trooper.
I like the addition of original trilogy material into the Clone Wars era. It shows how the imperial army got their equipment.
Excellent work.
I'm looking forward to see many more Battlefront 2 custom figures.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 02:05:09 AM »
Thank you for your feedback, Christoph! I've collected many reference shots so far and am still not done, yet. But I decided to take the final screenshots from all diffferent angles and in-action when I really takle that particular skin/character.
I really enjoy playing Pandemic's Battlefront. My brothers and I are really into it and the multiplayer co-op mode.
Sometimes they are a little annoyed and roll their eyes when I suddenly stop playing for a moment to think about my next custom idea or I just look at one specific detail on the map. These games are SO inspiring!

The Clone Marine could easily named Space Marine, too, but I guess that'd sound too much like Warhammer 40k. So let's call it Republic Space Marine...
By the way Galactic Marines of the 21st Nova Corps will also have a role in future projects.
So much more to come...

Thanks again and hope to talk to you, soon!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:07:45 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Clone Commander Vaks
          - 607th Legion -

- "Commander Vaks was a Clone Commander assigned to the 607th Legion during the Clone Wars. He lead his soldiers alongside Jedi General Zyaus Hyaun. Together they lead their troops through battlefields on Rhen Var, Sullust, Yavin IV, Kashyyyk, Murkhana, Xagobah and Jandoon."
Source: me, there is no entry on Wookieepedia, yet...

This custom figure took me a little longer than 5 minutes. I also did a lot of research in advance, again. Most of the research went into playing the mod for SWBFII by Xavious. I dont share direct links on here, but can find this map pack on forums such as moddb.

Commander Vaks is one of my favourite Clone Commanders and characters to play in the custom Battlefront mods. One reason is the design, the other reason is his gun! It's just desperately overpowered. But to stay fair, the Seperatist forces have been lethally modified, too!
I shared a gameplay video of BattlefrontJD down below. He does a lot of great videos showing just the gameplay of the latest mods without comment.

So here are some screenshots for reference:

Commander Vaks during the Battle on Janduun:

I started collecting reference material in October 2016 already...back then my username was legion078.

Rhen Var:

Here is a review from BattlefrontJD on YouTube. It shows you all units of the 607th Legion. You can see Commander Vaks in action in minute 10:00. Make sure to double-click for full screen view:

Star Wars Battlefront II Mods (PC) HD: Saga of the 607th - Rhen Var: 607th Assault

Receipe:

- figure: Galactic Marine (TAC 30-02)
- helmet: custom resin cast Galactic Marine
- gun: Chaingun (TLC SL-18 BARC Trooper, based on the accessory of the Clone Commander included in the TAC BFII multipack)

I used one of the Galactic Marines I got on eBay a few years ago for $2 each. You can see how I completed them after the jump:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10179.0

First, I filled the hole for the backpack with a light curing composite.

I washed all parts, dried and painted them with Citadel's primer "Imperial Primer". So as always - here is my "black series" edition of Commander Vaks:

Painting was a lot of fun! While working on Vaks I also watched some videos from FialaFernbrugg, which are most impressive and inspiring. Check them out on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FialaFernbrugg

Here are some WIP shots of Commander Vaks before I added the final and destinctive paint apps. I think he looked good like that, too:

Finished custom:

Details:

Comment: As aleady mentioned above I had started my research in Ocotber 2016. I had the idea to customize one of those incomplete Galactic Marines, I got from eBay, in the same year. Commander Vaks is just one of many upcoming projects. I have over 20 Galactic Marines to be completed and/or repainted. Too many ideas and just not enough time...
I thought my 900th post on here would be a nice occasion to FINALLY share this one, now. I did most of the painting in 2018. Initially I wanted to start this new topic with Commander Vaks, but then the spontanious idea to make a Clone Marine (Reply #3) made me to, instead.

I added a picture of all colors I used for Vaks. Still, I need to add a brown shade to make him look 100% accurate to the reference material. Also the black stripe on his back has a dark blue gloss in the game. I tried to recreate this effect, but wasn't successful. So before I add a final layer of clear coat, I'll have to fix this. Updates should follow, soon!

I'll make some more skins/units of the 607th Legion in the future. The Light Commando is up above my list. So stay tuned! I hope you enjoy my content. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the comment section down below. Cheers!

Special thanks to customjedi, Starchhaser and FialaFernbrugg for inspiring me to finally share this project!

And here's one last shot:

I do not own this image! Source:Mod DB
URL: https://www.moddb.com/members/jedi82/images/607legion-comander-vaks

- Philipp
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:51:18 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 03:03:53 AM »
Wow, great custom. Love all the background material too. You always do such good research.

Off to share on the main pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 03:14:04 AM »
Wow, you are up very early today! Thank you for sharing my entry! It's always very appreciated!

Yes, all I want to do is to inspire other fans and customizers! The hobby should be all about having fun and enjoying this endless universe of imagination!

Have a good start into the new day, Tamer!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:16:35 AM by Darth More »

Offline CloneTroopr

• Commander
    • CloneTroopr's Customs FaceBook Page
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
Very nice! Glad to see some love for the old Battlefront II   ()rr

Customs Thread: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7528.0
FaceBook Page: CloneTroopr's Customs

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 09:51:10 AM »
CloneTroopr, your customs are most impressive and inspiring to me! Thanks so much for leaving a comment here! Yes, most definitely! PANDEMIC's Battlefront is my most favourite videogame of all time! I modded and play it to the most extend. Do you have any wishes/suggestions for me what to customize next? My "Battlefront Project" folder contains 41 sub-folders so far...Vaks was just the 2nd one.

- Philipp