Author Topic: Imperial AT Hauler "Star Wars: Solo" for 3.75" figures  (Read 14101 times)

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Re: Imperial AT Hauler "Star Wars: Solo" for 3.75" figures
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »
Quick mock-up just for fun. Product # E0319. 19" x 16" x 5".

"Is it a good day?"

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »
I think this project is fantastic, amazing work indeed. I would totally get one if Hasbro offered it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 03:17:01 AM »
Yes, I would definitely say its a good day.

Off to share your update.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 05:45:23 AM »
Neat! As an Action Fleet fan I believe this would fit almost perfectly for that line.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
Great mock-up, that's brilliant fun and an appropriate end to a really stunning project.

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 06:09:31 AM »
Someone is building his own AT-Hauler using my plans -- from PLASTIC.

Like a proud parent :D, I'm sharing some photos here of his current progress. Rob Brown looks to be well on his way to owning what I will personally regard as the first Real Toy version of my AT-Hauler toy design. (I consider the one I made out of cardboard to be a "proof of concept" because it's not plastic.)

I hope Rob's work inspires other Star Wars toy fans to try making their own AT-Hauler. Rob said this is his first time building something out of a plastic -- which I find hard to believe!

Technical note: This is not 3D-printed. Rob is using plastic sheets instead of cardboard sheets to cut out pieces and glue together. And he's reusing the pilot seat from a Hasbro Y-Wing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:14:38 AM by WhillsScholar »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 06:31:07 AM »
How cool is that! It looks great already.

Off to share.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:44 AM »
I agree! That's pretty awesome! Last year I also bought some polystyrene plates. I'm going to build a Desert Skiff with them. Friends of mine build incredible things with it, too, and recommended to me to use these plates.
It's impressive how nice and clean Rob cut and put the parts together! It's looking great so far!

I was going to comment on your project anyway to ask you how you made the packaging design? I love your mocckup and was going to make somethig similar for my NR-N99 Tank Droid Repaint in ROTS packaging. I probably need photoshop for such image design, right? I already asked a friend of mine who is a printing expert, but he said he wouldn't do it because it's licensed. I would have to design and print it myself for private use, then.

As said before I really like your ATH and I'm glad that other customizers use your plans, too!

Excellent work from both of you! Also, your cockpit looks fantastic with Rio!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:12:32 AM by Darth More »

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
Hi, Philipp, thanks for your comments!

The AT-Hauler toy box isn't high resolution, so it is not suitable for actual printing. I threw it together quickly for fun -- cutting-and-pasting graphics from pictures of actual boxes of Hasbro SOLO vehicle toys, adding and adjusting new pictures, and new text. But if I wanted to, I could probably use the image file I created and rebuild it with higher quality image sources. It was created using Paint.NET, a free image editor for Windows.

My advice if you want to do a Vintage style box: If it's for a large vehicle, get a cardboard project board which is white on one side. These are tri-fold presentation boards that kids use for science project displays. They're cheap and readily available. Print the sheet at FedEx Office on their large-format self-serve printers. The large Vintage boxes are white on the outside, and what is essentially one large color sticker is stuck to two sides of it -- on the front and along the top edge. (Study the Vintage Star Wars Hasbro and classic Kenner large vehicle boxes and you'll see and understand what I'm describing here.)

For smaller boxes, the boxes are just paperboard (like used for cereal boxes). You can spray-glue the color printout onto a large sheet of paperboard. It's the cardboard container inside that supports the outer package.

If you use the self-serve large printers at FedEx Office, then you won't have to deal with any copyright concerns. (You just stick your USB flash drive containing your image file into this printer.) But even if you have a FedEx Office employee do the job, and a concern is raised by them, you can rightfully say this is just for your own use as a hobby, or say you are a design student and this is an example you need to put together for your portfolio. But for the most part, they typically won't care.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:18:58 AM by WhillsScholar »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 08:30:04 PM »
I think the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of compliment" is most apropos here.

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »
Rob Brown's current progress with his AT-Hauler in plastic. He devised a "stopper" pin for the rotating arm joint (which stops it from rotating too far back and too far forward).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:03 AM »
Looks like the build is coming along well. Off to share the update.

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »
Rob finished building the gantry and claw. I'm especially impressed to see how he has attached the claw to the main body of the Hauler. In his words:

"Got the Claw finished and mounted. I came up with a way to make it removable for painting purposes later. It locks in under a removable plate. Even used Hasbro/Kenner screws salvaged from something else."

His AT-DT patiently waits...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 05:43:50 AM »
Now that looks awesome.

Off to share.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2019, 10:05:52 PM »
Wow, this looks like a great build and with some good play value. Thanks for sharing.