Author Topic: Mattel's "Jurassic World" Action Figure Review.  (Read 2631 times)

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
Mattel's "Jurassic World" Action Figure Review.
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
Mattel "Jurassic World" Mercenary w/Dimorphodon Review:

As part of Mattel's inaugural "Jurassic World" product, a series of basic action figures with accessories has been released. While there are somewhere around a dozen figures planned for the line, only three have been released so far: two different renditions of Chris Pratt's "Owen" character and an unnamed "Mercenary". I picked up a pair of the 1-per-case Mercenary figures simply for the pack-in mini Dimorphodon and the electrostaff accessory but am pleasantly surprised by the figure itself.

The Mercenary has 10 points of articulation- ball jointed head (somewhat limited movement other than rotation due to the ball joint being placed fairly high into the head), ball hinged shoulders/elbows/hips/knees and a swivel waist. The figure is constructed from a heavier vinyl than "Star Wars" or "G.I.Joe" figures are made from making this much sturdier and less prone to pieces popping off easily. The paintwork is clean and neat for the most part, although one of the two Mercenaries I picked up has some wonky paint on his hairline.

There is one element of the figure's design that limits its usefulness- there is a holster hanging from the belt that pegs into a hole in the figure's right thigh. This holster is made from a fairly rigid vinyl and hinders the movement of the leg when the holster is pegged in place. Options to fix this would be:

1) to leave the holster unpegged, which would leave the rather long peg visible.

2) do the above but trim off the peg.

3) cut the holster free from the belt, cut off the length of belt that connected the holster to the belt and then just peg the holster to the thigh (this is the option I will most likely go with).

Scale-wise, this figure is a true 3.75" scale figure and fits in perfectly with "Star Wars" and "Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S." but comes up short next to "G.I.Joe" and "Marvel Universe" figures which are closer to 4" (or taller).

The Mercenary comes with 2 accessories, a very cool sci-fi-looking electrostaff and an unpainted static mini Dimorphodon. The electrostaff is made from a nice, rigid plastic so it will not sag or warp under its own weight. The electrostaff is long and meant to be handled 2-handed, but the upper half of the staff is too thick to fit into the figure's small hands. The mini Dimorphodon has an excellent sculpt but is completely unpainted. While this is not an issue for someone like myself, I could see a child being disappointed by the rather plain dinosaur.

These figures are quite well made for their $7.99 retail price. I just wish that there had been more selection in the first wave instead of packing all but 1 space in the case with 2 different versions of Owen.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
Re: Mattel's "Jurassic World" Action Figure Review.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
Continued.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »
Still think its a bummer about that holster, but man thats a lot of arty for the price point.

Offline Forceflow

• Ensign
  • Droid, please!
    • Forceflow's Special Modifications
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
Good to know about the scale... thought I'd read somewhere that they were too small for 1/18. But since modern Star Wars has been on the smallish side, looks like they fit right in. The stormtrooper you showed always was a tad short, so that's a good reference.

Solid accessories are a good sign, too... no one wants a flimsy electro-staff thingie!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:39:33 AM »
I saw these in person for the first time yesterday, they really do look awesome. So much more for the price point that the 5 poa figs as a comparison.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
Cool set - nice review! Thanks for sharing! I especially appreciate the scale comparison!

- Philipp