Author Topic: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...  (Read 51213 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
You found some really cool stuff. Actually I like those candy cans better than the ones I found. The styrofoam is a really great find, you could add to it, and "stucco"  it for a Tatooine look. The possibilities and limitations is up to your own imagination. I'm glad I could inspire you, but you determine what's in your own "head Canon". That's what I always liked about Star Wars. It opened up my imagination. It was a new Galaxy to explore. Whether it's Canon or Ledgends, or "head Canon" star Wars is yours. It's ours.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:47:10 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Hey JD, thanks for coming by! I’m glad you like my little photo collection of random stuff! I’ll defintel add a lot of different parts and shapes here and please feel free to add your ideas, too! I got my collection of miscellaneous pieces stowed away back home.
For Tatooine I’ve collected some different shapes as well. I’m gonna share those in October. I will definitely smoothen the surface of these ice cream containers and might even make a mold of them (hollow of course). I just like the shape of those so much and if I can reproduce them, there will be several versions of those - guaranteed. And if they turn out good enough I will be happy to give some to you, too!

Yeah, I remembered those soda can candy from my childhood, but have never seen lipstick in this design before. I found 18 cans for 17€/$18 here shipped, I might buy three sets of them and repaint the cans.
They don’t seem to be sold at local stores anymore, but I’m excited to fill up that Imperial Tank from Rogue One with those cans!
Your containers from Walmart would look even better on that tank!

Have a good Sunday & thanks for your comment!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Wow Philipp, I missed this thread. I really like the Felucia appropriate plants you found. I think the Chryssalid figure will fit in nicely:)

I agree with JDeck, the boxes are a good find. The Styrofoam packaging is great. These are great leads. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thanks Starchaser! I'm glad you found this thread, now. Feel free to add to it with your ideas and suggestions!

I'm very thankful for your suggestion for the Chryssalid. I would've never learned about it woithout your post - so thank you once again! I'm happy about mine every day and for $8 I even took it out of the already damaged packaging.

As soon as I get to build my first Felucia diorama (test build on picture frame, before I go modular) the Chryssalid will find a place on it. And the Battle Rancor will eat that creature for breakfast on the modular one. I can already see these projects in front of me. The picture frame one will depict Order 66 and the modular one will go towards The Force Unleashed videogame.

I will add to this topic and share more of my "trash" and what I make of it as soon as I get home in October. So stay tuned for that  ;)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
So on my search for lipstick in soda cans I came accross these intersting pieces here on ebay:

As always: Compare prices and make offers (if possible). I got 6 of them for $1 each - FREE shipping from China:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lipstick+container+red&_sacat=0&_sop=15

If you want to repaint theme (maybe in a metal color), you could add them to dioramas of Coruscant, Jedha, Tatooine, Dantooine or whatever you got in mind. You could also light them up!

When I first saw them, I immeditely thought of drilling a hole into the bottom and add a LED - maybe some white, translucent silk paper to the inside to make Chinese lanterns of them - definitely a nice accessory for your Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Indiana Jones, James Bond or Super Hero diorama!

More to come...

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:03:24 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Seems like a great idea to me. I could see you doing all kinds of things with this one.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Those are pretty cool decorative boxes, I could even see stacking them for pillars. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Tamer: Oh yes, a great design, indeed! Definitely something I wouldn't buy for my lipsticks if I was a woman, but for dioramas? Hell yeah! It seems as if they were only produced just for this purpose! Thanks for sharing! I saw the reception on Facebook was quite good, too! By the way they are available in red metallic and black as well, but for 6 bucks each? No thanks - I can repaint them myself for that money.

Starchaser: Yes, indeed! Thanks for the comment. I'd love to see how you'd use those.

- Philipp

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
It happened!! I finally found them here in Germany after a week of intensive research! I almost ordered a whole case of 72 cans in the USA, but a friend of mine found them at a Dollar Store, which I also have in my area. I couldn't find them at the first one, but was lucky at the second store.

And let me tell ya, I had never expected to be so happy about a packaging!
These cans are awesome! The candy inside isn't bad, either.

I paid 75 cents for a pack of 3 cans here in Germany.

I even went to a vendors' retail store, which you can only access with a vendor card and is similar to Sam's Club - and even they don't have them!! But if you need candy in large quantities and sizes, this is the place to go. (I can recommend German candy!)

Can you see them already??

There they are and I took 4 packs of them! Left 5 packs for the kids...so I got my candy for today and am I a happy boy!  ;)

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:51:45 AM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Cool! I do like those better than the ones I found. It has the vac plastic label, rather than the paper/glue, making it much easier to remove. They look a bit bigger, the top looks cool, and they even look good unpainted. I found them on Amazon, 18 for 6 bucks! Thanx for the tip, I'll have to get some the next time I need supplies.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Nice finds. Off to share your story.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
JDeck: Thanks for checking back JD! Yes, your barrels are smaller, indeed. I need to add the exact sizes of those candy cans. Thanks for reminding me. A friend of mine found them in his local store and gave me the hint. He is going to use them for his 6 inch figures and plans a small diorama of SOLO with Han & Chewie.

Tamer: Thanks so much! I was hoping you'd take this exact piture to the frontpage. Have a good Sunday Tamer.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
So glad you found these! It sounds like it was quite a hunt. Its funny how we take for granted things around us - like candy packaging.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
I'm glad you found the cans. They are definitely useful for SW dios and custom figures.
I wonder if I can get them here in Austria.
Can't wait to see them in a DarthMore diorama.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Starchaser: Exactly! I actually checked 17 stores of 9 chains/brands or local stores (candy shop). I could’ve found it in the second store I went to, but I must’ve either missed it or they didn’t have it there. It’s a dollar store and I actually found these barrels in the second store of that chain. 25 cents a can is only 8 cents more than the cheapest offer I could find in the U.S. - and there are many more offers with a much higher price tag per pack. Can’t beat that! So again I’m a happy boy and you made a very good point: we take everything for granted - everywhere at any time. That’s the American concept. I figure those candy cans were more popular back in the days, but they still exists unlike some others...thanks for your nice words mate.

FialaFerbbrugg: You should know me well enough by now to know that I got more packs of which some are for you anyway. Just let me know how many you need! And you’ll definitely see some of those in one of my future projects ;) Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:48:10 AM by Darth More »