Author Topic: 2020 Carbon Freezing Chamber  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
2020 Carbon Freezing Chamber
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:29:25 AM »
After all I have seen on sites and social media I thought this one deserved its own section so we could share our thoughts. First off the pics of what we are talking about (more thoughts below):

For reference it can be ordered here:

Amazon:

https://amzn.to/2Z4ftDB

Entertainment Earth:

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/HSE9596

It also comes with a special cared TESB Stormtrooper:

Product Description:

"The 3 3/4-inch scale playset you always wanted from The Empire Strikes Back!

Includes frozen Han Solo accessory and carded Stormtrooper figure!

The Carbon-Freezing Chamber playset combines with an additional set to create the full scene!

This playset is decades in the making! Star Wars The Vintage Collection Carbon-Freezing Chamber Playset with carded Stormtrooper Action Figure includes Han Solo Carbonite Chamber. Buy two and merge them to create an even bigger playset.

In Cloud City, Darth Vader decided to freeze Luke Skywalker in carbonite for transport to the Emperor. Before setting his trap for Luke, Vader tested the process on Han Solo! Dig out your old action figures and recreate one of the most memorable scenes of the classic Star Wars trilogy. Highly poseable with realistic detail, the included Stormtrooper figure can be displayed in action figure and vehicle collections."

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: 2020 Carbon Freezing Chamber
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:33:16 AM »
I so want to hear everyone's thoughts on this offering. Right now I am two minds:

1. We have been clamoring for playsets for years and when they finally give em to us we are too picky.

vs.

2. You have to buy two sets to get a full playset and then no grapple for the carbonite block?

Which side do you fall on? Or do you have a somewhere in the middle stance. I sould sure like to know! Oh I found this meme yesterday:

Offline Mos-Eisley-Customz

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
A bit of paint and this will look great, just hope its not silly expensive.. the diorama guys are going to love it

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »
The MSRP right now is $50.

What I can't wait for is some 3D Designer to make the claw apparatus. I will so buy one when this happens.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
    It's definitely not junk. Incomplete at worst. Once I got over the initial sticker shock, I realized it's a pretty good deal. A $14 Stormtrooper, a $7 Han in Carbonite and $29 display. It's good quality, and it's fairly screen accurate, with a lot of potential.  Hasbro should stop calling things like this "playsets", I think that's confusing people. It's a display, or a Diorama base.  There's a big difference, it's not just semantics. There's actually a big difference between a Diorama and a display. A diorama tells a story, while a display is just a display.

I like that you have the option of buying one or two. If you want to recreate Luke and Vader's duel on top of the staircase it would be perfect just to buy one. You don't need anything more than that. Add some lights underneath, and a blue backdrop, and it's a cool little display. Take pictures and Photoshop in lightsabers. A lot of potential even if you only buy one.

I might buy two, and really fix it up. Make a more screen accurate base, and a ceiling. Only if. It fits in a bookshelf. If it fits in a bookshelf like I'm hoping it will, that would be incredible. If not, I really see no need for two. For me that's the determining factor. Bookshelves are pretty standard, so it will either fit or not.  So I'll probably buy one, see how it fits on a shelf, and go from there. If it's much bigger than I anticipate, I'll just put Luke and Vader on it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:07:07 PM by JDeck »

Offline Mos-Eisley-Customz

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »
    It's definitely not junk. Incomplete at worst. Once I got over the initial sticker shock, I realized it's a pretty good deal. A $14 Stormtrooper, a $7 Han in Carbonite and $29 display. It's good quality, and it's fairly screen accurate, with a lot of potential.  Hasbro should stop calling things like this "playsets", I think that's confusing people. It's a display, or a Diorama base.  There's a big difference, it's not just semantics. There's actually a big difference between a Diorama and a display. A diorama tells a story, while a display is just a display.

I like that you have the option of buying one or two. If you want to recreate Luke and Vader's duel on top of the staircase it would be perfect just to buy one. You don't need anything more than that. Add some lights underneath, and a blue backdrop, and it's a cool little display. Take pictures and Photoshop in lightsabers. A lot of potential even if you only buy one.

I might buy two, and really fix it up. Make a more screen accurate base, and a ceiling. Only if. It fits in a bookshelf. If it fits in a bookshelf like I'm hoping it will, that would be incredible. If not, I really see no need for two. For me that's the determining factor. Bookshelves are pretty standard, so it will either fit or not.  So I'll probably buy one, see how it fits on a shelf, and go from there. If it's much bigger than I anticipate, I'll just put Luke and Vader on it.

Can't wait to see what you can do with it ..finding space is the biggest problem for me right now

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 05:21:39 PM »
Yeah I can definitely relate to that. That's why, if it doesn't fit in a shelf, it's a deal breaker. My shelf is 11.5" deep, so as long as the "feet" supports fit on the shelf it's okay. I don't mind a slight overhang, but an inch or two over, or if one of the supports is dangling in mid air, no.  I'm limiting myself to that space because it can easily get out of control and turn into some elaborate project. I'm already knee deep in project.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:25:29 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 05:41:30 AM »
I never thought about the space issue, but that is something too.

I see a lot of folks are going back to try and find the old playset and customize that one up. I can't wait to see someone make a light kit for this new display too.

JDeck I do agree with you, if they had put display and not playset I think perhaps folks would have been more understanding. Still not sure I pick this up at $50, but I have time to ponder.

Offline Flash

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
I'm split on this overall, but its success will boil down to, "Does this product fit your collecting goals?"  Based on several of the different comments I've seen, the biggest obstacles to purchasing this are price and/or size.  I appreciate JDeck's cost breakdown above, and while it makes the playset more palatable, I won't be getting it for my collection. While I wouldn't mind one, and would certainly appreciate two, I don't need the stormtroopers or carbonite blocks. The biggest no from me though is space.  Like JDeck, my shelf sizes are limited and while I'll be paring down my transformer related items and other unopened star wars toys, I just won't have the space that something like this needs to be properly enjoyed.  It's unfortunate though, as when I saw the pictures of the combined sets, I immediately began planning out the diorama background and other elements to make the set my own. Hmmm, maybe if these are around long enough, my space issues and collection needs may change.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 07:24:36 PM »
From what I understand, watching the live stream, it must have an orange acrylic integrated into the set. To make the display glow, all you need to do is add some of those LED tap lights underneath. I imagine the brighter the light, and darker the room, the brighter it will glow. But I just don't know. The promo pictures don't really show that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 07:07:54 AM »
Yeah, adding some of those led lights is a no brainer. And you know someone will make the claw appartus if Hasbro itself doesn't make it as another vintage playset or offering down the road.

Right now, my thinking is kind of like the Jabba Set (which I think is a lot better than this one). If I see a decent discounted price I will pick one up, but not gonna get too worked up about it.

I could change my mind in the next hour or so. Thats why I appreciate reading all these comments.