Author Topic: Talonreap's Dioramas  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Talonreap's Dioramas
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »
Wow that is nice. Thanks for the step by step too. Off to share.

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
  • Clone Wars / Imperial Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
Wow! @Darth More - Phillip, thank you for the in-depth response! I always love to keep an eye on your projects, and I really appreciate you taking the time to give such earnest and kind feedback! I took a look at your Mini Dio's page and they are awesome! I may use some of your techniques to do a similar Kashyyyk dio of my own some day, I'll be sure to let you know! Also, I was meaning to ask about the change to Darth More! Can't wait to hear the story.

@Tamer - Thanks as usual for the support and recognition, Tamer! It means a lot to me.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 03:39:42 AM »
You're very welcome! Your work is very inspiring! Yesterday, I forgot to mention that I find the chop sticks you partly broke/bent to make these steel girders most impressive! I've always been happy to read your feedback on here, too! You always commented on my topics and I appreciate that very much also because not many people take the time to do so - on here and also on YouTube in general. So thank you very much, mate!

I completed my profile this morning and added the story of the change of name at the end:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10407.0

Best regards

- Philipp

P.S.: When I went through my first Mos Eisley project from 2009, yesterday, I realized how bad the pictures actually are. That's also because of the limited quality of my first digital camera back then, but also because I downsized the files. So I'm working on replacing them until the end of the month.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:54:00 AM by Darth More »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
Your dios keep getting better and better.
One of my favorites so far is the TIE landing pad.
I can't wait to see more.

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
    • Richard's Creative Workshop
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 01:17:51 AM »
This is a truly lovely diorama mate, love the use of cardboard and detail you have gone into on the door is wonderful.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
Thank you for the support, @Panther and @FianlaFernbrugg! All of your work is detailed and spectacular, and I appreciate both of you taking the time to look at my dioramas.

Now, I have some pictures of my final diorama: Jedha! I actually made this one before Tatooine, but I wanted to post that one first because the steps in building it were largely similar. I then filled it with figures and I think it looks pretty good! Check it out below.

As before, I built the building out of half a cardboard box. The facade and archway are both high-density pink styrofoam, and the little hut on top was a chunk of more open-cell packing foam I found in a box.

The big old greeblie on the side of the hut is a launcher from the TFA Unkar's Thug + Teedo pack. I gave it a black wash and drybrushed it with Citadel Boltgun Metal to highlight it a little. You can also see here some of the facade. I went a little wild with my hot-wire cutter and added lots of impact craters and pockmarks throughout.

I used some thick straws for rusted pipes along the front of the building; I gave them a basecoat of Chaos Black over which I painted Scorched Brown and a Tin Bitz wash. The door is yet another Frank Diorio decal, this time borrowed from the Trash Compactor! At this point I hadn't considered following Darth More's spaceport door tutorial. I know it doesn't really belong, but I don't think it looks too bad. Finally, the wires are made from an old pair of headphones and attached to some greeblies from my bitz box.

Here is the arch, which I drew out a pattern for and cut out of foam. The little market stall was made from two skewers painted brown and glued onto the plastic tarp/covering from a 1/72 model truck which I bent into shape and painted red. As for the rather obvious cardboard, I made this dio before knowing to conceal the edges and corners of cardboard with tape before plastering over. I may put some tape and new paint over it one day, but we'll see.

The Aurebesh above the door here actually reads "Converter Station". I found this template on RebelScum courtesy of KypDuron, and he's got a lot of great decals and papercraft free to download. In addition to the power coupling/transmitter piece on the right, I made a little antenna assembly on top. It's a rusty nail (which I didn't even have to repaint, haha!), a marker cap, and a pen cap set between two halves of a cork I cut and painted Boltgun Metal. The panel on the front is a decal belonging to the BMF that I found a template for online.

I painted the whole thing with a combination of cheap Walmart paints. I used Khaki as a base coat and drybrushed Vanilla Ice Cream over top.

I reused the same paints for the sand which I applied with PVA glue. Only difference was that I added some shades of brown to distinguish it from the building. Now, I think that does it for the explanation and creation of the dio! Onto the figures!!

This is a general overview of the scene. I've got some troopers on patrol, partisans lying in ambush, monks on pilgrimage, vendors and hagglers in the market, and Jyn and Cassian caught in the middle of it all.

The monks are a few Sarco Plank's I picked up on HTS this summer for cheap. I looked through the Rogue One Visual Guide and repainted their hands and faces to resemble more closely some of the monks from the movie.

Here you can see another homemade Vaporator, again made out of a pill bottle. I attached some greeblies, cut-up straws, and even a miniature Hoth turret from an old model.

I think these TFA aliens fit in quite well in Jedha! They are quarreling no doubt over Quiggold's outrageous price for the meiloorun (another KypDuron print-out).

Jyn and Cassian duck into cover as an imperial patrol approaches...I did a simple head-switch between the U-Wing Cassian and the Eadu Cassian. It's a little loose on the ball joint, so at some point I'll have to fill in the head just a little.

I love the RO Stormtrooper sculpt! I hope they reuse the bucket in TVC soon. The canisters next to the troopers were made from pill bottles, bottle caps, and greeblies. The smaller one is actually some kind of large toy soda can I found and repurposed.

These troopers may be in trouble...

Definitely in trouble!

I think Unkar's Thug makes for a great partisan, very easy to incorporate him into this dio.

At last, the leaders of the Partisans. Edrio and Saw! If you look closely (and my apologies that the picture isn't totally in focus) you'll notice that I painted some details onto Saw's breathing apparatus. 

Whew! Sorry for the long post, but I hope you enjoy this excursion into the embattled streets of Jedha! It was one of my absolute favorite sets of RO, and I'm happy I could bring it to life in my collection.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:03:33 PM by talonreap »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
Wow, this is such an amazing diorama! Also the quality of the pictures themselves is stunning! The resulution of your camara is excellent! My favorite detail (besides the vaporator of course) is the launcher at the wall from the TFA Unkar's Thug and Teedo pack! It looks perfect dry-brushed with Citadel's boltgun metal!

Talking about the walls and the door: They look aweome! Although buildings of Jedha and Tatooine are very similar, one can tell that this is Jedha! How did you make the shot damages on the walls? And the door is fantastic, too! I'm very impressed!

Thank you so much for sharing the in-depth making of!

- Philipp

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 02:59:02 AM »
This is an outstanding diorama.
The weathering and damage on the building looks very realistic.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 03:22:28 AM »
Excellent work mate, it had a great Jedha vibe to it.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
Another nice one. Off to share this one too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »
Another great dio. I really like this jeddah one. Very well done.

Offline OC47150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
I love it! What type of materials did you use?

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »
Thanks so much for all of your interest and appreciation!

@OC47150 I used a cardboard box for the frame of the building, with high-density styrofoam for the facade and the archway. The top part is a piece of packing foam. I covered it all with plaster before painting. I hope that helps!

@Darth More all the battle damage and pockmarks on the walls were fabricated by lightly poking the styrofoam with a hot-wire cutter or by scraping it along the edges, melting away the foam. Once plastered and painted it leaves the walls looking really beat up!

Thanks also to everyone else who commented, I really appreciate the support and feedback!

Offline larifari

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »
OH,i really love this Diorama!! 0/

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
Fantastic work mate and very realistic well done indeed.

Ron