Author Topic: Solo: a Star Wars Story  (Read 9190 times)

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
  • Clone Wars / Imperial Enthusiast
Re: Solo: a Star Wars Story - no spoilers!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
These trailers have me so stoked! I absolutely loved Rogue One and can't wait for more OT era action! Especially pumped for Mimban from Splinter of the Mind's Eye and some of the variant stormies! Can't wait to see them out on shelves in the spring!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
I do agree. It is so nice for us OT Fanboys to get things in the time frame we all love and remember.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
This cross marketing is SO obvious that I would have actually been disappointed if they didn't do it...
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 02:30:27 AM »
LOL. Nice Dan. Shared that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
So waiting to see this at 5:30 and am wondering what folks thought as it relates to the other movies. We will try to keep this spoiler free for a bit and then have at it.

Offline Dag Marus

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 12:16:05 PM »
Man...I was not expecting to enjoy that as much as I did.  I was fully ready to leave that theater in disappointment, and now I just want more time with those characters and those actors.  I sincerely hope they make a Solo 2 because, with the story they told, ANH is NOT that. I'm still not a huge Alden as Han fan, but he did a pretty good job, for what it's worth.  He has moment where he's absolutely on point...but then that voice and the gruffness just aren't there and you're reminded that you're watching someone else's interpretation.  Chewie, Lando and L3 shined for me.  Just absolutely wonderful, and the interplay between Han and Chewie is SO spot on. 

It's not perfect, and if you hate the new Star Wars...you'll probably hate this too.  But I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
  • Clone Wars / Imperial Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »
I too had a great time with this movie! I loved that it was set in the classic Imperial era, and I thought we could have gotten even more Empire content than we did. Still, I understand why the film was set so heavily in the criminal underworld and I thought it was a fun thrill ride from start to finish. Highlights for me were the cameo at the end, a neat connection between L3 and the Falcon, and an important moment of character development for Han at the end. Go see it! I know I'll be seeing it at least one more time.

Offline UKHistory

• Cadet
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »
Fun. I quibble with a few things but a really good movie. Love the film taking place in this pre-ANH empire era.  Excellent casting. Just fun.

I give it a low A

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »
I thought it was great fun too! I went in thinking this was going to be awful and man am I glad I was wrong. I will definitely be seeing this again! I thought it was great fun. I loved seeing who the bad guy was at the end and man we have to have another movie in this series again I agree! There was just enough of everything to keep me happy.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »
I'm thrilled to see SOLO! I actually planned on going to the movies on Wednesday. The preview was shown here in Germany then, already. Unfortunately I haven't made it there, yet. The weather here is just to nice at the moment and I rather ride my bike out even tonight.
It's Saturday night and I might go at 10:15 pm...I cannot wait much longer to watch it!

And I'm happy that you already got the chance to do so and I appreciate that you all post on here spoiler free!

- Philipp

Ad: Since I was massively disappointed by Disney's first Sequel and how they treat the franchise, I go see Solo with no expectations. I hope it's entertaining like a Monday night show - let's see what happens...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:00:46 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »
I saw the movie again this weekend with my daughter and she enjoyed it. It definitely ranks right behind Rogue One in my favorites list. Of course the OT movies are the top 3, but this one breaks into the top 5. I so hope we can get another movie in this series and its not just a one off. I enjoyed this so much more than TLJ.

I also think its time to take the spoiler warning off of this. Folks have had enough enough time to go see it now I think.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Solo: a Star Wars Story
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »
Saw it for the third time last weekend. I think it's a great Han Solo story, which addresses a lot of situations and events we familiarized ourselves with by exploring the expanded universe. There are numerous hints and nods to it throughout the movie.

I really liked Alden's and Donald's portrayals of our favourite scoundrels. Alden lets us see a determined, cocky yet pretty insecure Han Solo, despite his bravoure. Donald's got the Lando part down to a T. What a smooth talkin' guy!

It was good (and expected) to see such a big role for Chewie as well. Jonas has really adopted that big, heavy mantle and he's playing the part admirably. The moment Qi'ra got out off the co-pilot's seat and Chewie sat down.... man, I must admit, it got me a bit water eyed there. Han, Chewie and the Falcon are such an icon together.

I have never read the Han Solo trilogy from way back in the day, but according to Rebel Force Radio, quite a few 'easter eggs' of those stories are put in the mix as well. Not to mention the Kessel run, Teras Kasi, how Han got his DL-44, etc.

Also, did you guys see the table in Dryden Vos' office, with the idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark, as well as a blue crystal skull? And what about that Mando armour in there too? Pretty cool!

The interaction between Han and Lando is also very good, like Lando saying "I hate you," upon which Han replies "I know" :D :D And the way Han grabbed Lando's arms in the final scenes... exactly like in TESB :)

Now, the other characters... I don't know, they're pretty much just filling in the blanks to make a story around Han, Chewie and Lando. Of course, most of them die, except for Qi'ra. Not that interested in seeing how her story progresses and suddenly popping Maul in there at the end of it all.... I don't know. Kinda steals the spotlight that was shining so nicely on Han and Chewie.

My two girls (now 9 and 12) have become quite the Star Wars fans (it's all about quality upbringing, people) and thoroughly enjoyed this latest installment as well. My oldest's favourite character is Chewie and of course she was very pleased with the big role he had this time.

We'll see how that all works out, but in the meantime, I'll definitely go for a fourth time. This time in 2D, because the movie is pretty dark which makes seeing all the details a bit hard with 3D glasses on.

So, great story connecting all kinds of dots concerning Han, Lando, Chewie and the Falcon, but with forgettable side characters. I rate it 7 out of 10.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »
   I finally got to see SOLO. I've been extremely busy lately. Bleh. I thought it was really good. I like especially the story of the Falcon and Chewbacca.

Han, was well done. He has this conflict of being selfish or helpful. In SOLO he seemed more helpful than I expected, but of course it was to save his rear.
   Chewbacca, was awesome, I'm glad we got to see on screen why he has such a reputation. But like Han has a sweet side as well. He's the guy you want on your side.
   Lando, was Lando. At times I felt his voice and accent was forced, but overall it was good. He's a swindler, card player, scoundrel... I liked him.
    L3, was interesting. I actually like her more than I thought. She's funny because she mocks social activism. Everytime she starts up, lando just rolls his eyes. I found her to be the most comical. When she told the Droid on Kessel, you're free go free your brothers or something, give me some space, for some reason I thought that was funny. I dunno I was tired lol.  I thought it was cool she became the Falcons navigational computer.
   Qira was interesting as well. I don't love the character like some do, but the end was really interesting. She basically sent herself to hell to save Hans life. Because Maul is the closest thing to the devil you'll find. He sent her to him on dothmir which is a hellish place. I really think that's why they chose Maul, otherwise it makes no sense to wedge him into the story.
  Tobias, was cool, he was a lot like Han, but opposite. At the end of the day Tobias looked out for himself. He used people to get what he wants. Han on the other hand, does the right thing eventually, but in the meantime he looks out for himself, and does what he needs to reliying on his own self promotion to get what he wants. I liked his Skiff guard disguise Easter egg, that was cool.

Overall I really liked it, yeah I'd like to have seen Jabba, but it would have been too much for one story.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 05:05:03 AM »
I agree. I was so wanting to see Jabba there at the end. It has me hoping we will get to see another movie. I gotta see what happens with Maul too!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Perhaps we could see Maul in a Kenobi movie? If he's the leader of a crime syndicate. He'll probably figure out Tobias was on his way to Tattoine, not knowing he was killed. There he would find Obi wan. I dunno lol.