Author Topic: Solo: a Star Wars Story  (Read 9249 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Solo: a Star Wars Story
« on: February 05, 2018, 04:12:44 AM »
With The Last Jedi currently still in theaters (just got back from my seventh viewing), already the next Star Wars movie is upon us! Solo: a Star Wars Story!

Maybe it’d have been better for me to wait with this topic till after the trailer has been released, but after the teaser I saw some really interesting comments from our divided community of Star Wars enthusiasts. Already a lot of people are completely downplaying this movie, saying the same old things: “Disney’s destroying Star Wars”, “Bring back George!”, “Gonna be the worst SW movie evah”…. I find that somewhat amusing, but also worrying.

A few people mentioned this movie would be too dark. Looking at the lighting and the locations in this teaser, I think it will be a movie with a dark tone. But that’s logical to me. Han Solo is a hotshot flyboy, eagerly to make a difference by joining the glorious Empire. But then he discovers the true nature of the Empire and chooses (or is pushed onto) the path of crime. Smuggler, scoundrel, cynical, on the run, outcast… That’s not exactly Care Bear material.

I, once again, am eagerly anticipating this new Star Wars movie. And I’ll judge it after I’ve seen the full feature, not after script rumours, change of director, teaser or trailer.  I hope it will be a more cynical, darker movie, simi-lar to Rogue One. It’s great we get to the character of Lando Calrissian back on the big screen and hopefully we get to see how his relationship with Solo and Chewie really is.

Expectations? Although I’m always pretty excited for a new SW movie, I don’t conjur up all kinds of scnearios and plot twists based on what I’ve known so far. This goes especially for what’s been told in what used to be the Expanded Universe.

But what are your thoughts so far?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:29:38 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Solo: a Star Wars Story - no spoliers!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:17:36 AM »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Solo: a Star Wars Story - no spoilers!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »
I have decided that I will like it :D
  The trailer looks really cool. I can never get enough Empire and civil war era. I'm more interested in the backstory of the Falcon TBH. the falcon has become a character itself. Lando, Han and Chewie have always been my favorite characters. Even if the new guy isn't exactly like Han it doesn't matter to me because it's a movie, a Star Wars movie at that. I'll take it all day, with mustard.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
So far so "good" looks like the level of craftsmanship I expect in seeing a Ron Howard feature. Crazy stuff and casting choices aside... it still feels SW

I just hope its not ruined with more preachy Propaganda.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
Ok, so from the short bits of Ehrenreich as Han Solo, I can see Solo's cockiness. Ehrenreich is not Harrison Ford of course, so I hope he brings his own take on the character and I think he'll make a great young Han Solo.

Chewbacca looks bulkier compared to his appearance in the OT and I love the double bandoliers. But.... In RotS he wore the trademark single bandolier, right? Hmm....

Anyway Glover looks awesome as Lando and his clothing is exactly what I'd expect.

Clarke.... I don't know. She's best known from GoT, but other than that? I think her character is a one off and won't make it out alive....

The Falcon, now she's looking mighty fine. And if the pristine white and shiny interior is hers, man, what a bunch of sleasy nerfherders Solo and Chewie must be right?

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:17:34 PM »
Its going to be pretty difficult to reconcile the ep3 Falcon scene (docking at the Senate building) with this version... although I note that wookieepedia did not say that it is the same ship for the Canon entry.

I wonder if Clarkes character uses some features from Bria Tharsen and Jessa (Stars End) characters.. as the love interest of a young Han Solo; and if Harrelson's character will have some features of Doc and Garris Shrike...
I am interested in seeing how this movie does Han Solo's origins  as it seems to have kept a few key plot points from Legends; his application for Imperial Academy as a pilot, the Kessel Run, saving Chewie, and perhaps he won the Falcon from Lando after the events of this movie, if it belonged to Harrelson's character first, and had Solo and Calrissian as crewmates..

Offline Coruscant_Cantina_Customs

• Lieutenant
  • #1 Twi'lek fan
    • Coruscant Customs
Twi'lek Spotted in Solo: a Star Wars Story!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
I’m so excited to see my favorite alien making a comeback after being left out in the most recent films.
I am altering the action figure. Pray I do not alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »
I liked the look of the new ships, especially that new TIE!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
Honestly, I’m not that interested in new designs, especially when it comes to the movies that take place be-tween TPM and RotJ. It just seens a bit odd to me the Empire had TIE Strikers right up until ANH and all of a sudden we never get to see them anymore. Same goes for that TIE with the double cannons.

But I get it, new ships and vehicles mean new Lego sets, toys, DLCs for Battlefront ;) And no, I’m not judging Disney on trying to make money, because if you’ve seen the Netlifx documentary series The Toys That Made Us, you know George Lucas was all about the merchandising.

New designs aside, the overall look of things looks good to me. Fitting right in the time frame of that period. And did you see what’s hanging from the windshield of Solo’s speeder? Lucky dice! :D

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:30:51 AM »
I'd have to respectfully disagree. In the real world a mega military would accumulate several weapon designs. I equate the Empire to ww2 Germany, they had many different fighters, bombers, uniforms and weapons. Not all of them were used in every campaign.
  In the OT, we were only shown 4 years, and 3 military campaigns in the Empire's 20 year existence. There's much more to be seen.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
Point taken, JDeck. Hadn't thought of that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 03:17:50 AM »
Yeah, its that theory that has me thinking we can eventually see some variations on the regular AT-AT too, like the AT-IT Kenner pitched so many years ago.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
What do you guys think of that ticking sound in the trailer? It's a bit like the ticking watch you hear in Dunkirk. I like to think it's an indication Han is racing against time, literally and figuratively, for one reason or another.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
I think it's the sound of flipping switches.  Ohh i see what you're talking about. Yeah that could be it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:01:33 PM by JDeck »