Author Topic: TIE Custom from MPC Interceptor  (Read 1654 times)

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
TIE Custom from MPC Interceptor
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:53:07 AM »
Built this from the 1995 MPC rerelease of their TIE Interceptorr.. using a cut down pill bottle, some model kit pieces, a lot of Evergreen plastic product...

First step; cutting down the bottlle, then modifying the rear unit and supergluing

Next; modify the wing connection points to flip the wings backwards, and added in sheet styrene after carefully slicing off the old guns and targeting sensors in the way

Added the hull pylon brace panels

Added clone pilot and painted interior of cockpit

Added proper engine thrusters to rear of hull

Added mount details and new gun barrels, back of hull fell off.. reapplied stronger superglue

Mocked up

Added rectangle tube to top of rear hull extension

Used donor X wing detail pieces

Hull detailing. As I was not using the MPC landing strut system, I used round pieces from one of the model kits to cover the D shaped holes.. serendipitous that they were the perfect size .

Recycling one of the '"targeting sensors"', built a chin mounted torpedo launcher with styrene tubing over the sensor pins, and modified the piece to better fit the cockpit ball

Using rectangle tube pieces and rods and pieces of thin styrene for detailing the exterior of center panels

Used same technique of rectangle tube sections and rod lengths for interior panels

Finally all glued together, and added panels to the brace panels for detailing/increasing thickness.
Next post will show the paint work

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
Re: TIE Custom from MPC Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 02:15:30 AM »
The paint work!

First coat of flat black, hand brushed because I ran out of the spray paint the last time I made something..looks rather.. sinister.

Hand Painted Model Master Gunship Gray on details and viewport frame, then added Tamita Flat Red acrylic for the Blood Stripes akin to the 181st Squadron with the First Order style flat black paint job.

What is this ship? A custom TIE Multirole fighter with hyperdrive, shield generator, torpedo launcher kit and a Special Forces paint job during the Imperial Remnant era before The First Order rose to power. As the Imperial Remnant no longer had the defense budget and shipyards producing TIEs by the million, they were forced to cannibalize pieces and bits, as well as make the TIE fighters more durable and powerful for defensive missions in the Unknown Region against pirates and other organizations.

Shown with 1/72 Bandai Interceptor in background

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:13:39 AM »
Wow, talk about one impressive build and paint process. Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Off to share it in all the right places.

I can see this ship showing up and wreaking some major havoc.

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
Very Nice 8)  Am Much Impressed !!  ;D
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »
I'm a big fan of TIE customs (as you can see in my own thread).
The wing design looks great with the reversed Interceptor wings.

Excellent work!