Author Topic: Episode IX Spoilers Apply  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Episode IX Spoilers Apply
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »

So, we can use this thread to talk about the parts of the movie we really enjoyed and didn't. Any opinion is ok as long as you respect that of others.

That being said understand if you continue to peruse this thread the following will appply:

WE WILL BE SHARING WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE MOVIE SO IF YOU CONTINUE TO READ SPOILERS WILL APPLY!

Ok, just some initial thoughts from me.

1. No walkers? :'(

2. No major ground battle :'( Where we the walkers?

3. No R2-D2 for the most part? The spent the time introducing that new little droid I could did without (insert your merchandizing grumble here).

4. Leia can fly through space, by herself, with no spacesuit and then dies while trying to force talk with Kylo?

5. Kylo saving Rey at the end and then dieing? WTH, Lucasfilm! Think how much fun that arc could have taken us. Well I guess he was Ben then and not Ren.

6. The Emperor? If you watched the movie you know what I mean

Still seeing Luke raise Red 5 out of the water was freaking awesome! I liked Rey calling herself Skywalker at the end too. The Space battle was ok, wish we would have had another Death Star or something too or like a dozen of em to take out. Kinda felt weird seeing all those Star Destroyers in a nice line to shoot up too. I mean if one blows up it could take out all the others. I think they needed a naval expert or something.

Where the heck was Boba Fett? So would have liked seeing even a shot of the ole Slave I knocking out a TIE off the Falcon at the end and then taking off. I mean with all the OT nods they were doing why not that one?

I know I am getting nit picky, but overall I did enjoy the film.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:31:25 AM by Tamer »

Offline Don

• Captain
Re: Episode IX Spoilers Apply
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 08:51:09 AM »
Overall I enjoyed the film. I'm satisfied with the end of the 'Skywalker' Star Wars films.

I do have one 'stupid-filmmaker' complaint: it was mentioned in the film that environmental conditions on Exogol would prohibit the use of shields, which means the Sith Destroyers would be sitting ducks.
So why would the rebels even need a ground assault force!? Why couldn't they blow up the tower (and subsequently blow up the replacement tower) from a fighter-bomber aircraft!?

And a related 'stupid-filmmaker' complaint: if someone (like a rebel assault force) is on the wing of your aircraft and you don't want them there, wouldn't you just dip that wing and let them fall off?

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »
Also, it was barely glimpsed, but there was a new Walker on Kijimi; the UA-TT. This pic is from the Visual Guide.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
I'll do a more in depth anaylsis of the film, but my God what a narrative mess this is. It effectively retcons the prequels and original trilogy in one shot, but at least it's visually impressive. Mostly.

Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
There was a new walker? I am gonna have to go back and see that.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 06:31:38 AM »
 I found the following things hilariously sad, some were indeed visually stunning, but in the end they were very unimaginative and illogical, even in the Star Wars space opera universe:

- raising Star Destroyers from ground and putting them on display like Hotwheels toys, where were these ships all these years?
- continuous hyperjumping - yeah, that is not how it worked in SW, but now we can get anything
- Palpatine returned - no more interesting villains, needed to dig up that old fossil to save the face? So now he is really really really dead? Or we'll get the next Sequel of Sequel with Palpatine's resurrected ghost or something? Though McDiarmid again did a good job portraying the sinister Emperor
- ships that stay for years in the desert, underground and under water start working at first glance.
- the Final Order? Really? Nazi final solution inspired?
- Kylo's glued up helmet - I guess the new empire is too poor to make a new one after having the 3rd Death Star got destroyed. But they do have a nice red superglue
- healing powers, heck, why not. In Jedi Knight game we had this already...
- Han Solo scene, it was supposed to be a tear jerker, it only reminded me of the bad decisions that started with TFA, and with the death of Han
- Luke scene, they tried to fix his stupid actions in TLJ, but not to much good alas. Luke deserved much better than all this. But I did like Leia's saber and at least Luke was able to raise his X-Wing unlike Dagobah ;)
- Spacehorses on a Star Destroyer, should I laugh? Should I find it creative?
- Chewie got a medal, yeeeeey!!
- and of course we all know that Rey is the ultimate power in the galaxy, Anakin's Chosen One arc has no value anymore, and this could be a full review on its own, but not today...

Though I did like Lando (one of the few highlights of TROS), the John Willams cameo in the cantina, C-3PO's scenes before the memory wipe and the special effects. The story was weak alas. Was TROS better than TLJ? Definitely, but almost anything is better than TLJ. Was TROS a good movie? Well, not really, it was mediocre at best. Good special effects, but poor story, and some can be blamed on the ties that had to be made to fix the TLJ mess. A more detailed review in the future if I get the time and patience to write one.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 01:22:10 AM »
Sorry to double post this link BUT this rumor is high enough "priority" since it will also set a brand new line of precedents for SW.

http://www.sntstory.com/2020/01/02/the-192-minute-j-j-abrams-rise-of-skywalker-cut-is-coming-sooner-than-you-think/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 04:37:23 AM »
Man, I kept wanting to see Boba Fett.

Lets hope we get to see it all! Off to share.