Author Topic: Prototype: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - designed by Hasbro, Inc.  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
So I finally decided to take the risk and get this thing...

Obviously, this is not "confidential" anymore. This toy was officially released by Hasbro in 2009 and developed at least 18 months before. But it's still hot stuff. I wonder if this vehicle was originally planned to be part of the "Revenge of the Sith" series from 2005.

Do you remember when I posted a picture of this prototype as reference for my first own repaint of the Corporate Alliance Tank? The eBay seller Toyssir8982009 located in HongKong sold it.

The seller had both first copies that were made and you can still get the other one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/star-wars-The-clone-wars-Corporate-Alliance-Tank-Droid-prototype/263613440780?hash=item3d6095e30c:g:PBwAAOSwSzRZWMmW

Before I purchased this mysterious object, I contacted the seller of course. I had placed a "test order" there before and bought some G.I. Joe action figures and a few accessories from this seller. And I was very happy with the items! So I dared to spend more money there.

Around the same time pictures of the prototype Probe Droid with shell, the Hoth Trooper and the Death Star Gunner, which were planned to be part of The Vintage Collection, were revealed.
I was very excited to see those and it took some time for me to find the source of these pictures.
Then, I finally found it on Instagram. The new owner of these items lives in the U.S. - his name is Anthony and he mainly collects Star Wars prototypes. You can follow him on Instagram, too!

Just follow the link below:

https://www.instagram.com/gorkoracing/

His collection is very impressive and literally unique!

I contacted him and he even replied, although he got so many fans and followers! I asked him how trustworthy these sellers of prototypes are and if the offered prototypes are actually genuine. He knows this specific seller very well and assured me that these prototypes, hardcopies and first-shot paint-master versions are authentic!
The seller's nickname is "Toyssir9892009" and he is actually a she - and her name is Rose! I tell you, both, Anthony and Rose, are very nice persons and I'm honored to know them, now!
Anthony has purchased several prototypes from her and other sources and his connections right to the source of what makes us all happy, are very good! He took much time for me and answered all my questions. And with the confirmation from him I purchased one of the two prototypes of the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid...and it only took about 2 weeks until it was delivered.

You can visit her store and check out so much rare stuff by following this link here:

https://www.ebay.com/str/toyssir2009

Now, it's in Germany. And here it is:

It's interesting that both sides are different. The right shell is made of a lighter, mat plastic. So are the hatches on the left, which are framed by the darker shell that is made of the plastic that was used for the final product later.

The next significant difference is that the hatches on both sides have a hole drilled through their middle. The main turrets on each side both have the corresponding positive to be connected to the tank's body. These positives have been removed and also the holes were not drilled into the units of the final release. This was a very welcome change because the main cannons are very loose on the prototype whereas they are held in place much better on the final product.

Since the right shell and both hatches of the left shell are made of a lighter-colored material, they also are more translucent in regard that more light shines through. It makes the material look thinner, although it is not:

The left shell, the main tank tread and the interior were made with the same material, that was used for the final product. No visible changes were made here.
Despite the fact that this vehicle is indepently operating, Hasbro decided to give it opening hatches to access the interior, in which two action figures can be seated. This was probably done for higher play-value:

And here is the detail I find most interesting:
There is no stamp on the prototype at the location where it is on the official release. That means the initial design from Hasbro was sent to the factory in Hongkong, China which received the commission to produce the first hardcopies of this product. I assume this is the reason why the right shell (and both hatches) is made of a different material than the rest of the copy. This leaves open options for possible changes during developpent. The official stamp with year, brand and origin was added later, before this design was approved and released for mass production. All this happened approximately 10 years ago...a piece of history of one of the biggest toy companies in the world.

And this is how it arrived here along with 3 other items, which I will share pictures of, soon:

And this is the packaging of the final product, which was released in 2009 as part of Hasbro's Class II Vehicle assortment of their The Clone Wars series (TCW):

And one unit of the finished toy itself as it was released:

And now it is displayed in one of my glas cabinets:

Follow this link to see my first and own repaint of the NR-N99 Persuader-class Droid Enforcer on Page 1 of my custom vehicles topic:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10165.0

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:25:07 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Cool deal. Thanks for the link. I will get this on the front page too.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Prototype: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - designed by Hasbro, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:03:33 AM »
Thank you very much for the double post, Tamer! I was really happy to see both tanks on the frontpage and on facebook! Have another great weekend!

- Philipp

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:47:09 AM »
Sorry for my later comment.
It is very interesting to see a real prototype vehicle. A great addition to you growing Tank Droid collection.
Thanks for the detailed review and the quality of your photos is excellent as always.
I can't wait to see more.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
@FialaFernbrugg: Thank you very much for your feedback! All the time and work pays off with comments like these...I'll post more pictures of more prototype mystery, soon!

- Philipp