Author Topic: 1917 - The Drinker Recommends  (Read 4276 times)

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
1917 - The Drinker Recommends
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: 1917 - The Drinker Recommends
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:57:54 AM »
I am gonna so watch this one. Trench warfare, just nuts.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 07:18:40 AM »
I am gonna so watch this one. Trench warfare, just nuts.

It's not 100% historically accurate, but it's an excellent tribute  to those who died. The message is clear: war is the bad guy.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
Very cool! Thanks for sharing this! I subscribed to The Critical Drinker, but hadn't seen this review of his before checking in here. I'm glad he likes the movie because he's usually quite...critical.
I wasn't even aware of this movie before! Just watched the official trailer without any drunk commenting. It's cool to see Sam Mendes depicting a theme like this. Goosebumps inclusive.

I remember when we talked about WWI in U.S. History during my time at high school in Michigan. Our teacher played a game with us that was similar to RISK. We talked about the time of Imperialism before and about the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. the trench warfare and how cruel this war actually was.
We also talked about both World Wars big time at my school here in Germany, with WWII being the main focus and how the aftermath of WWI (reparation costs) made the Germans be willing for revenge.
Having talked about both World Wars in Michigan and here in Germany from different perspectives is one of the things I appreciate the most of my time as an exchange student.

"Those who ignore the past or just don't care about history are doomed to repeat it."

That's a very precious quote. War is horrible.

Thanks for sharing this, RC. I'm going to watch this movie.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
I'm seeing this tonight at AMC in Disney Springs, Orlando. I'll post a review.