Author Topic: Greetings from Virginia  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Dubis7

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Greetings from Virginia
« on: August 30, 2021, 07:23:19 AM »
Hi there!

Nice to meet you all! I'm Josh, a huge star wars fan and a collector of anything 3.75" star wars droid related since I was a child.

A few years back I decided to stop waiting on Hasbro to make the figures I wanted and start commissioning customs of the quality and detail that only customizers can make. I'd do it myself, but I've been gifted with limited color vision and would be hopeless at getting the paints right. I'm looking to find a few more folks I can connect with to whittle down my want list.

Looking forward to working with you folks!

Offline Don

• Captain
Re: Greetings from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »
Hey Josh, welcome to the Shipyards!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 02:53:30 AM »
Welcome Josh,

You will definitely find some hugely talented artists here thats for sure.

And yes, I do agree a good custom far outshines anything Hasbro will ever be able to make and or the characters we all want.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 07:06:54 AM »
Hello Josh,
thank you for joining the Shipyards and welcome aboard! Thanks for the greetings. It's nice to read your story and why you decided to become active on here.
I'm also looking forward to seeing your projects. And as Tamer said, I'm confident you'll find support and further inspiration here as well.

Just read your request on the Astromech repaint. I like your idea and your spirit. Hasbro let us wait 'til we're one with the force when it comes to "blink-and-you-miss-them characters...

I hope you like the forum. How did you find Imperialshipyards and for how long have you been around 'til you created an account? Just curious. New members are always welcome and reading your post made my day and my mood jumped by a few parcecs!

Best regards from Germany

- Philipp

Offline Dubis7

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:13:16 PM »
I heard about you guys on Reddit just a few days ago. Popped onto a custom action figures forum and got just one response sending me here.

I can't blame Hasbro for not jumping up to make figures that barely made it on to screen. I'm glad there are people as passionate as I am about filling in the gaps.

You're absolutely right, Tamer. Could Hasbro make anything with this attention to detail?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 03:02:11 AM »
Wow, beautiful droids. No, Hasbro couldn't touch one of these.

Speaking of great Astro-Mech cusotmizers. I just saw a great Astro Custom by Don. I bet he could whip up the one you would like.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 03:57:48 AM »
I agree, that's a beautiful set of customs. And probably the most professional pencil sharpener I've ever seen. Asking Don for a commission is a great idea. You can find his latest customs on the frontpage or shoot him a message here:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?action=profile;u=11873

Offline Dubis7

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 09:41:18 AM »
Thanks, guys! I'll reach out to him! If anyone's down to discuss a few that are more complex than a straight repaint I'd love to get in touch as well.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 03:54:30 AM »
I have to agree that Wraithnine was our go to guy for Astro-Mechs a few years ago as he really specialized in them. He hasn't been on forums for a few years, but I would think you could still message him too if you have one that was more involved, but I would bet any customizers here would talk to you.

I would just get into the customs boards and see what you see. Prepare to be amazed!

And then you could message the Shipyarder(s) whose custom work you liked. I have seen some amazing things here.

And you may have to be patient, especially for anything really detailed or that needs to be made from scratch. We have quite a few customizers here who now have great design and CAD Skills and have 3D Printers so if you are willing to wait I have no doubt you will be able to find what you are looking for here.

Offline Dubis7

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 11:38:24 AM »
Oh absolutely, I'm a huge fan of detail and articulation so patience has always been the name of the game.

I'll bump around and reach out to a few folks. Thanks everyone!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 03:08:47 AM »
I have to agree that Wraithnine was our go to guy for Astro-Mechs a few years ago as he really specialized in them. He hasn't been on forums for a few years, but I would think you could still message him too if you have one that was more involved, but I would bet any customizers here would talk to you.

I messaged wraithnine (Jay) this week on Instagram and he replied instantly! He's doing okay, but got reasons why he left all social channels like YouTube almost a decade ago. He's still active on Instagram though. He's very much into The Black Series as well by now and is currently selling two repainted 6" ARC Troopers (Echo). So he definitely offers commissions for some extra bucks.

To me the best news was that he's okay and still around if one got questions. I also wonder how our Australian diorama God hemble is doing.
Tonight I'm going to talk to FialaFernbrugg which I'm very looking forward to.
Let's talk some day as well, Tamer! I'd love to see a custom figure contest this winter! It's been a while.

Offline Dubis7

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »
Everyone's on Facebook and Instagram these days. I'll have to make an account or borrow someone's.