Author Topic: Echo_Six's customs  (Read 42888 times)

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
Re: Echo_Six's customs
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2019, 08:36:04 AM »
Your spacers are terrific but I particularly love Bodhi!
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for the front page Tamer.   ;D

If anyone's curious about the other spacers (assuming it's okay to link to another forum? - If not, please delete), here's the write-up on the white and silver spacers.  Boshek and cantina dude can be found earlier in the thread.
 https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1103201&page=5

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »
Great work on the spacers mate.

Ron

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
Fantastic job
On the spacer , love your customs.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:37 PM »
Thanks, guys.   ;D

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2019, 01:50:32 AM »
Excellent work on the spacers.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2019, 06:13:58 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
Just finished an easy and long overdue Spacetroopers upgrade. After my recent Han headswap festival, I had a handful of now-headless Han Stormtrooper bodies, and another handful of terribly yellowed LC Spacetroopers - Seemed a logical idea to combine them. The only real obstacle was mounting the jetpacks. After bouncing through a few overly complex ideas involving magnets and double-sided automotive emblem tape, I decided the cleanest method would be to transfer the Spacetrooper back plates to the new bodies. For anyone not familiar with the LC Spacetrooper, the back has a separate plate with slots on the sides for the jetpack clips.

Pessimistically expecting the plate to be glued in and hard to remove, I hacked the first donor torso apart with plastic cutters. My plan was to cut as close as possible, then sand the plate down as necessary. I didn't want to damage the edges by prying anything. While trimming, though, I could feel and hear the plate shifting around in what was left of the torso. As an experiment, I loosely pried it with a razor knife and it popped right out! The next four plates took about a minute to remove.   ;D 

Caution: I bought these five Spacetroopers in a lot from one of the Chinese sellers years ago. Probably Tunghori or the late, great Viperskingdom. The point being, it's possible the plates may be glued in better on other Spacetroopers. I've received figures in the past from these guys that had completely skipped the sonic welding and gluing phases - Great if you're disassembling for customs, but probably an issue for most buyers.

You can also see some of the torso yellowing below - It might not look too bad here, but this pic was taken a couple of weeks after a two-day soak in 12% hydrogen peroxide. The torsos were sparkling white when they came out, but were turning back already. Not to mention this was the second soaking in the last couple of years.

After popping the plates, I removed the plugs by sanding them on a sheet of 220 grit wet-or-dry paper lying on a flat surface (bathroom countertop). I intentionally left the sanded surfaces roughed up to help the epoxy adhere.

I then sanded the raised details from the backs of the Han Stormies in the same manner. As a precaution, I bent the arms forward and twisted the torsos 180 degrees so that the arms and detonator cannisters wouldn't get accidentally sanded. I used Loctite two-part epoxy to glue the plates to the bodies.

Here's a comparison between the Han Stormie on the right and my only non-yellowed LC Spacetrooper on the left. Re-using the Joe Johnson heads would have been more trouble than it was worth - Would have needed to drill the sockets deeper, then fill them with greenstuff for a tight fit. *Bleah* I used some Dutch Vander heads instead.

The final step was to drill small holes in the helmets for the air hoses.  Unless there's something I'm overlooking, it seems impossible to fit the new blasters in the holsters.  I'll probably try some of the earlier E-11 molds.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:47:54 AM by Echo_Six »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
Fantastic job on this creative solution! The space troopers look great. How long does it take for troopers to yellow like that?
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »
Thanks!  I doubt there's a consistent answer to yellowing.  I've had my Spacetroopers for around ten years, but I'm not sure exactly when they started turning.  Seems that once they turn, though, there's no stopping it.  They've always been stored in the dark so sunlight wasn't a factor.  I think it was just a bad batch of plastic.  Got another Spacetrooper and plenty of Saga Legends Stormtroopers almost as old, and they're still pearly white. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2019, 06:23:06 AM »
Wow, these look great. Thanks for sharing your process. Off to the front pages.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the share, Tamer. 

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »
Very cool I wish an official version came out like these. Those  old stormtroopers I feel while nice are too thin with ugly heads.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2019, 12:29:53 AM »
Excellent work mate.

Ron

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone.   ;D