Author Topic: Echo_Six's customs  (Read 37977 times)

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Echo_Six's customs
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 02:46:53 AM »
I can only join Starchaser and Tamer: The soft goods hood looks excellent as well as the paintjob on this one!

Thanks for sharing & have a nice weekend!

- Philipp

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
Finished some "blink-and-you-miss-'em" Jabba's Palace goons.

First is Geezum.

Torso, arms, hands: TVC Endor Rebel commando with neckpost from TVC Kithaba
Head, pelvis, legs: TVC Snaggletooth
Cartridge belt: TLC Jango Fett
Bandoleer: TBS Tusken Raider
Scarf: Misc. Jedi robe

I started by cutting the torso's neck flush with the shirt collar, and transplanting the neckpost from a TVC Kithaba figure using a headless #4 screw. After stripping all the factory paint from the lower body and prepping all the joints, I sprayed the body parts with VHT "satin white" dye. I re-painted the boots with Testors "leather," and gave everything a Testors "sand" wash. After trimming and sanding the holsters from Jango's belt, I sprayed it with VHT "satin black" and gave it a Testor's "burnt umber" drybrush. The scarf is a Jedi robe scrap with a dab of Liquid Stitch keeping it folded over around the neck. The bandoleer was more complex. The first attempt used five pouches cut from another Jango belt. I sanded a groove into the back of the piece, and superglued it to a leather strip from Michael's. (Only needed about three inches of leather, ended up with eight yards. But I digress.  :D ) It looked okay, but the pouches were too small. I eventually carved/sanded the pouches from the lower torso of a TBS Tusken Raider and repeated the process before painting the pouches with Testors "leather."

A cool feature of the leather strap is that after wetting it and letting it dry, it molds to contours very well.

This is the original bandoleer showing the sanded groove and the strap's joining point.

Next is the H'nemthe from Jabba's palace.

Body, head, hands: TAC M'iiyoom Onith
Arms: TVC Han Solo (Target three-pack)
Belt: TLC Jango Fett
Vest: TBS Jyn Erso

As you might expect, the robe was the hardest part of making this custom. Thanks to Stan for telling me about this fabric source:   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHEER-COTTON-SHIRTS-BLOUSE-DRESS-DOLL-CLOTHES-FABRIC-THIN-1MM-MICRO-STRIPE-58-W/370405605060?hash=item563de4fec4:m:mQVG70uvZRXhw1ng5J7vp6A:rk:1:pf:0&var=640004912039

(Hope it's okay to link an eBay store - If not, Mods please delete.) The body is stock, with the exception of swapping in the Han arms to replace the swivel elbows. The original hand pegs were a little too small and received some passes with teflon tape.

Obviously, I took some liberties with this figure. I left one of Jango's holsters attached for a bit of play value. In addition, I left off the vest's shoulder flaps and didn't cut the ends of the sleeves. It would have been easy to glue on some flaps using flexible vinyl as a "hinge" but since the robe and vest are already a tight fit, there might be durability issues caused by moving the arms. Like always, it's a trade-off between accuracy and playability. Lastly, the sleeve ends should be contoured and not straight. This was an OCD-type thing with me. I like my sleeves the way I like my psyche - Neat and orderly, not frayed and unraveling.   ;D 

Last is Leslomy Tacema, aka Jabba's Duro.

Head, hands: POTJ Ellors Madak
Torso: TBS Ceremony Luke
Pelvis, upper legs: TBS General Lando
Lower legs: TVC Bespin Luke
Upper arms: comic pack Prince Xizor
Lower arms: TVC Weequay Hunter
Vest: TAC Tosche Station Biggs
Belt: TBS lightsaber construction Luke

This is the most discombobulated figure I've ever assembled. It started as a simple concept: (1) Put a dress on a Daultay Dofine figure, (2) Swap head and hands, (3) Profit! Unfortunately, the torso details didn't work very well with the robe and belt. Hmmm... General Lando might work, his waist has a sculpted recess that fits the robe and belt perfectly! However, the sculpting of the torso prevented the arms from even approaching a normal position with the robe and vest in place. So I used a torso already designed for an overlay. The Luke torso mated to the Lando pelvis perfectly, but still needed to be sanded a bit for robe clearance. The thin Xizor shoulders give a little more clearance, and the Weequay wrists are large enough to match the hands. The original vest was cut and sanded from a POTJ Ponda Baba. It was nice and bulky, and resembled the flak jacket from the reference material below. Unfortunately, since it was sculpted for a swivel-shouldered barrel chest, it didn't work out here. Instead, I trimmed Bigg's vest and enlarged the arm holes, then dyed it with VHT black and painted the exterior with Testors "olive drab." The robe was sewn from a lycra nightshirt ($4 at Wal-Mart). The head was Dremeled to fit. To increase the range of motion, I also removed most of Luke's Adam's apple. The hands were fitted with superglued pegs cut from a KOTCS Russian soldier.

This was the reference material I used. Everyone's seen this guy who was originally thought to be an Endor rebel, but was actually one of Jabba's crew. Instead of the source of confusion camoflaged coat, I went with this instead.

If you squint and turn your head just right, it looks like he's wearing a vest over something light-colored.

Patiently waiting for February 2019:

At the risk of sounding like a shill, I also wanted to pass along info about Winsor-Newton brush cleaner. If you need to remove paint from a figure, try this stuff. A four-ounce bottle is about $8 at Michael's or Joanne's, or $10 at Hobby Lobby. I'm awaiting a 16-ouncer from Amazon for $15.

For years, I've used denatured alcohol and Goof-Off to remove paint from figures. However, alcohol doesn't do much against factory paint, and Goof-Off attacks plastic very quickly. I've read about this brush cleaner and finally decided to try it. I really, really wish I hadn't waited so long. Here are my experiences with it in the last month or so:

- Removed factory paint about as well as Goof-Off, and has been much safer on plastic. I pour it into a small glass bowl and use a plastic AP brush to remove the paint. Much easier than the old "three swipes with a Goof-Off q-tip/Simple Green/rinse/repeat" method. I still try to work quickly, and wash parts thoroughly after stripping.
- Removed 90% of Sharpie marker stripes from a fabric robe. Hoping to remove more with more applications.
- Removed dried-but-still-tacky Rustoleum plastic-bonding spray paint from a rubbery Ponda Baba vest.
- Removed VHT vinyl dye. I can tell you from previous experience that VHT is no joke when it comes to removal. I've dissolved pieces with Goof-Off trying to strip VHT, but this stuff took it off with no problem.

It cleans brushes pretty well, too.   :) 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:26:50 PM by Echo_Six »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:36 AM »
Wow, what an update. This is just a ton of great resources in this one. Off to share.

And it is definitely ok to share eBay Resources and links.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2018, 12:33:06 AM »
Really nice work on these. The soft goods look great! Excellent parts combinations on these, especially the Duros. Thanks for sharing your find with the paint removal product too.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Using the brush cleaner to strip paint wasn't my idea, but I hope that posting my results might help someone else.   :)

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
Your latest figures are amazing.
The soft goods parts look very realistic.
Excellent work.

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
Jabba's "blink and miss goons" are so, SO good!
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »
No updates at the moment, but I've got a question:  Anyone out there that does or can recommend custom 3.75" face painting?  I'm not looking for exquisite multi-layer washes and dry-brushes, just solid Legacy Collection or TVC-level quality.  Glassman has done great work in the past but the guy is working through some stuff right now. 

Any input appreciated!

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
I was waiting to post these until I had more stuff finished, but what the heck.

First is Thul Fain. He's an old fat guy with a dishrag on his head, allegedly seen in Jabba's Palace. Thrilling concept for an action figure, I know.

Body - LC Willrow Hood
Head - TVC Colonel Cracken
Robe - Map room Indiana Jones
Hands and feet - Darned if I can remember...

I wanted to dye the Willrow base brown, but didn't read the can and accidentally sprayed it with Hi-Tech "Burgundy" instead.    ::)  What can I say, the cap colors looked about the same. The neck is sculpted at a strange angle, so I sanded most of the Adam's apple away for Cracken's head to sit level. Cracken's hair got a Testors "Light Ghost Gray" drybrushing, followed by a Testors "Flat White" drybrushing and a blast with Dullcote. Willrow's neck received some blended Testors flesh tones.

The inner hooded "robe" is actually a sleeveless smock sewn from a white handkerchief. I drew the stripes with a brown extra-fine Sharpie, then dyed it with coffee. Here are the stripes being laid out:

I stitched the back of the inner robe and hood by hand, then hemmed it and formed the hood with strategically placed dollops of Liquid Stitch. The initial plan was to feed 26-gauge florists' wire into the handkerchief's hemmed edge and use that to form the hood. It looked good, but there was a Catch-22 -- If I ran the wire along the entire length of the inner robe, it would hinder movement. If I trimmed the wire, it would have quickly worn holes in the fabric.

I salvaged the outer robe from my first Debnoli custom by using Winsor-Newton brush cleaner and Rit color remover to take out all of the Sharpie ink stripes and splotches. Then the robe got a quick soak in Rit's Dye-More "Peacock Green" (the Dye-More is touted as specifically for synthetic material, for what that's worth). Because the robe is so big, I folded a couple of pleats in the back and tacked them in place with a few hand-stitches. Invisible from the outside, and easily removable if desired.

The belt is a thin strip cut from a Jedi robe.

The inner robe is slit down the middle in the back, just in case Jabba declares a Dance-off to the Death:

Reference:

Next is the third Dressellian commando, as seen in the Home One Death Star II attack briefing:

A simple formula, aided by serendipity.

Base figure - LC Major Panno
Cloak - TVC Orrimaarko

As a test, I sprayed Orrimaarko's cloak with VHT "Light Blue" dye. It came out stiff as cardboard, with dried dye crumbling to the touch. Since I'd had luck using the W-N brush cleaner to remove all kinds of stuff, I gave the cloak a brief soak. After about a minute, I removed it and washed/rinsed it thoroughly. This is the end result. Still a nice shade of blue, and the original airbrushed brown splotches are visible as darker patches. The texture is now more supple than the other two cloaks below.

Swift, silent, deadly.

Last and least is Merc Sunlet.

Body - LC Agen Kolar
Lower tunic - Comic pack Owen Lars
Head - Saga General Rieekan
Hands - TAC Obi-Wan

Merc is a WIP until I can generate the enthusiasm to swap in some arms with flared openings. The basic styling cues I picked out from the reference photos were (1) Older dude with a pot belly, and (2) Beige-ish outfit with darker brown inner tunic and dark belt. I stripped the original brown tunic, painted the new brown stripes, and painted the neck. Rieekan's head was Dremeled to fit, and his hair received a Testors "Light Ghost Gray" drybrushing (although it doesn't show very well in the photo). Agen's neck is a really long separate piece that extends deeply into Rieekan's head. The upshot is that the head is limited to swivel-only articulation.

Reference:

Thanks for looking!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 08:52:06 PM »
Great job on these. Really nice soft goods work. I particularly like the Dressellian.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:57 AM »
I agree, just awesome soft goods work. Off to share on the main pages.

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 06:16:43 AM »
Wow!  These look great!  Jabba's goons are really coming along.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »
Thanks, everyone.   ;D

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 03:17:59 AM »
Stunning work there Echo_Six! Your ideas and work with softgoods are most imoressive. The drawn stripes on the robe dyed with coffee are one of my favourite detail of this update!
Thanks for sahring all the recipes, references and precious advice! That brush cleaner liquid looks promising, too!

- Philipp

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
Freaking fantastic on all of these , love them all with all of your work , most impressive.