Author Topic: I think I'm done collecting  (Read 1284 times)

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
I think I'm done collecting
« on: May 16, 2022, 07:00:29 AM »
I think I'm done in collecting Star wars figures getting out of my price range way to expensive for figures

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
Re: I think I'm done collecting
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 10:14:45 AM »
I gave up on Star Wars figures a few years back and have only bought a few here and there (droids mostly) and am on the verge of giving up all of the other lines after this year due to rising prices, too many repacks/repaints, poor availability, etc., so I feel you.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
   Im getting more selective. This year has been the year of the army builders. Stormtroopers, Clones, Mandos, Bespin guards, Cantina band, Rebel Troopers. I limit myself to Imperials, I'll get a few Rebels and guards, but I skipped all the Clones and most of the Mandos. I'd rather buy more Stormtroopers or diorama materials.  I don't think I'll get any more full cases. The last wave, I just wanted 3/8 of the figures. I've slowed down on custom figures, dupes and unwanted figures go unused.

There's been a lot of hysteria surrounding the plastic-less packaging for TVC. It hasn't been formally announced, but we all know it's coming. Personally I don't care but TVC is all about the packaging, if you change it, it's no longer TVC. They've built up the brand so much I don't think they can go back to TBS 3.75 or TLC 2.0. It doesn't help they refer to 3.75 as the "vintage scale". They're figuratively and literally  trapping 3.75 into a box. I hate to sound doom and gloom, but it ain't looking good. As a contingency I'll just make diorama and photo sets for my Imperials. It would be nice to get some rebel scum for them to fight like endor troopers or scarif rebels. Not counting on it. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:18:56 PM by JDeck »

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:39:44 AM »
Collecting has lost almost all of its luster for me. High prices, an almost total lack of selection, barren shelves at ALL of the stores, plus characters about which I couldn't care less.
I've even considered having a Star Wars selling my collection garage sale.
This attitude was reinforced at Celebration Anaheim. As I wandered the show floor the only items that generated any interest were lightsabers. The Palpy saber is what I wanted the most but I wasn't willing to pay $350.00-$500.00.
Dudsney has taken the thrill and excitement out of collecting. I spend most of my time now on costuming.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 09:11:34 PM »
I'm a lifer  :) I've never been a completist, and I open figures (don't care about packaging, it's all about play value). So I'll keep buying as long as there's a figure I like. I won't change scale (only do 3.75"). Having said that I can't agree more that Hasbro has a decision making process that is reflects a deep disconnect with long time Star Wars fans and shows little love or appreciation for its "heritage" line - the one that has paid the bills for a long time!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 04:30:55 AM »
It's sad to read that, but I feel you guys! It's come to a point where the hobby isn't fun anymore. During the past week I recognized that nothing triggers me anymore to buy more.
I'm saturated. And with Hasbro's pre-order policy which makes us wait months if not YEARS to wait for our already paid products is just the cherry of the pie.
I know the pandemic had a hard impact on companies as well. But I officially consider Hasbro's pricing insane. This picture of the most recently announced Credit Collection Dark Trooper says it all:

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
    • Hole in the Ground Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 11:25:38 AM »
Its getting harder and harder to stay excited. I mean, you pretty much HAVE to preorder everything months in advance if not years (looking at you Jabba throne room). I get that prices are never going to stay the same. However, some key points about pricing

1) It used to be a highly articulated or complex painted figure was offset by a lesser detailed figure. So a brand new tooled figure that cost more to produce was offered along with say an astromech with no new tooling that cost less. Then the price tag for each was the same. Now, every other figure is priced differently!  Go to Target and Mayfield, Reva, and Boba Fett are all different pricing. Its absurd. Not only that but there justification for a deluxe figure doesn't hold water. Boba Fett has almost no difference in number of paint apps or new tooling as say Fennik Shan. Yet costs as much as a TBS figure. In my mind, it was clear price gouging and unless I find him or clearance, I won't be getting that Fett.

2) The price hikes don't line up with other toy brands. Hasbro obviously has sales goals but at this point, they're rushing to meet these goals may hurt them. Its hard to army build when a trooper will cost you $17 a pop.

Right now the figures they are releasing are excellent. But the constant rereleasing and repainting isn't helping either. I don't have a ton of other hobbies I spend money on, so for now I've been holding my nose on the price. But like the Fett, there's a few they've crossed the line on.
Collector by choice. Customizer by necessity

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 12:12:42 AM »
Good points. I think the variety and quality of Star Wars action figures have never been better than they're today. But they're also as expensive than ever before.
And I think that Hasbro pushed the prices to a point where less and less people are able to afford it.
It's not even funny anymore.

At the end of the day, retailers and etailers and eventually Hasbro themselves will recognize that they pushed it too far. Recent finds prove that prices are falling again.
Black Series figures can often be found even cheaper than TVC figures.
Patience almost always pays off in this hobby as I had to learn the hard way once again with Antoc Merrick's X-Wing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 04:24:43 AM »
Yeah, I haven't bought that Fett either and I want too.

I agree with you. It just seems nuts. I mean are we going to see the day where the 3.75" line costs the same as the 6"? Sure seems like it is coming to that.

Makes me play with the idea of quitting altogether too.