Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 09:15:05 AM »
Ok, I have now seen The Last Jedi five times in the cinema. I’ve seen it in 3D, 2D and on New Year’s Eve in Laser 3D with Dolby Atmos. That was pretty impressive.

Just like the movie itself is pretty impressive. Which is, of course, my personal opinion. I think the various trailers were setup pretty well, i.e. in throwing fans off track. Rey suddenly summoning Kylo’s lightsaber? Snoke reaching out with two fingers outstretched a la Obi-Wan vs. Grievous? Leia looking out the window, with Kylo seemingly ready to blast her into oblivion? None of that in the actual movie, so that’s a plus for me.

Being the middle installment of a trilogy, comparisons to TESB are easily made. But I told myself this is a whole new trilogy and shouldn’t be compared to the OT or the PT. The Star Wars community seems to be really split now that TLJ is out. I’m no psychologist, but I just can’t get with the fans who call this movie awful, rubbish and that it er…. raped their childhood., without any further explanation. I think those fans forget they first experienced Star Wars (whether it’s OT or PT) when they were kids themselves. But that’s modern times for ya, with comfy anonymous ‘social’ media and all that ;)

Enough of this, on to the movie itself. Like I said, I’m one happy fan. The more I see it, the more I enjoy it. First of all, the quirky humor. To me it’s well placed and timed. This time BB-8 gets to say the famous words “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” and the way Poe stalls time is pretty darn funny. Too Marvelesque you say? Well, what about “boring conversation anyway”, the Stormtrooper bumping his head, Leia’s sharp remarks to our heroes, etc.? I say Marvel humor is heavily based on the style of humor Star Wars has shown us. Throughout the movie, more of these funny moments can be enjoyed, such as Luke trying to teach Rey a thing or two.

Those first scenes were great. I loved the attack by Poe and the bomber squad on the dreadnought. You could feel how desperately Poe wanted to destroy one of those fleet killers, making you get a sense of how much the Resistance had already suffered from those immense battleships. The way nearly the entire squad was lost, was very dramatic and the whole part had a WW2 feel to me, especially the designs of the bombers and crew. 

Now, straight on to Luke. We all envisioned how Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master, could… would… should finally look like in this movie. But that’s all based on the numerous tales in video games, novels, comics, our own minds and that can be quite hard to let go off. I thoroughly enjoyed Mark’s performance of Luke. If you follow him on social media or watch interviews with him, you know he’s got a pretty peculiar sense of humor. Add to that the fact that he gave voice to one of the crazies villains in animation history, it wasn’t difficult for me to accept his portrayal of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master in exile. The way he looked when he drank some of that milk or when he pole vaulted to the edge of that cliff… it had something maniacal to it. Heck, I even spotted a dash of Joruus C’Baoth in him sometimes. But Luke was also still Luke, as so well put by Yoda. I’m not entirely sure, but I think that was an actual Yoda puppet. Mark and Frank Oz connect so well when they play those characters. Great scenes to see. As I’ve said, Yoda again reminds Luke to look at what’s in front of him. And that seemed to get the message across to him, because in the end he finally made his appearance, at the right time. The first time, my heart was skipping beats like crazy, especially when he took in that barrage by those AT-M6s (and the tiny AT-AT). Reminded me a bit of the Luke you can see in the awesome Dark Empire comics. When it became clear he wasn’t physically there, but Force projecting himself from the across the galaxy, that actually showed even more what a true Jedi Master was capable of. And in the end, he apparently succumbed to his efforts, but I don’t think the Force projecting itself did that. Since he apparently was able to connect physically with his surroundings (he brought the dice to Leia), I think he actually really took in the laser bolts and saber cuts during that battle. And that was what eventually killed him.

As for Leia, uhm…. Great performance by Carrie, better than in TFA, but yeah… the whole space scene still feels a bit odd to me. Apparently, Leia was more Force sensitive than we were led to believe after ROTJ. But now that Carrie isn’t with us anymore, I wonder how they’re going to work around that for episode IX. I think she’ll be mentioned in the opening crawl. Something like “….after the passing of General Leia Organa five years ago, the Rebellion has….”. Or something like that.

Adam and Daisey have really grown into their characters and the chemistry between them is definitely there. I really liked the scenes with Snoke as well. You could feel the anger building up in Kylo as Snoke continued to downplay him. And when Kylo ordered the attack on Luke, man, he was absolutely full of anger and hate. This guy has now totally derailed. It was also very obvious Rey was still incredibly naive. I mean, she was so convinced of Kylo turning to the light side and the way his future looked. Luke warned here it wouldn’t go the way she thought, but she didn’t listen. But she develops her Force abilities in an impressive pace and by the time Ep IX is upon is, I think we’ll see a Rey that’s on level with the Jedi Knights of old.

I’m still on the fence about Finn and the development of his character. The mission he and Rose were on…. I’m not sure what that really adds to the storyline of the movie. But I did like Canto Bight and its entourage. In every SW movie we get to see a sequence featuring a variety of aliens: the cantina in ANH, Jabba’s Palace in ROTJ, the podracers in TPM, etc. New designs are constantly thought up and combined with existing ones. I read a lot of comments on the fact we hardly get to see any “classic” aliens in the sequel trilogy and actually none on Canto Bight. About that last bit, I think it’s justified not to show Aqualish, Trandoshans, Rodians and such there. To me, those aliens have always been the ones a few step further down the social ladder. You know, aliens with dubious careers and all that. But the ones on Canto Bight, war profiteers, are much farther up the chain. And I really liked the designs. But did you notice the bird like creature in the background, while that little guy threw coins in BB-8? If that’s not a nod to Jim Henson’s Skeksis in the Dark Crystal, I don’t know what is. And how about the slot machines themselves? Totally reminiscent of V.I.N.CENT from the Black Hole!

But like I said, I can’t quite place Finn and Rose, not even after the battle on Crait. I don’t know how Finn’s character will develop. Although I have this strange idea, Finn is actually the one unwillingly leading the First Order to the locations of the Resistance. After all, he was a stormtrooper and probably has an embedded chip somewhere…. Maybe that’s what Hux meant by having them on the end of a string, not the fact they could track them through hyperspace.

Anyway, this is already a very lengthy 2 cents, let me wrap it up. Holdo’s sacrifice: one of the best scenes. The boy pulling the broom towards him and holding it up at the end of the movie, also great use of in universe reference. The Porgs are a very nice touch and very funny. Very cool to see that more and more. I’m very curious as to where things will go on from this. It’s not a middle part like TESB or AOTC, but feels more like ROTJ the way it ended. Will Luke return as a Force spirit? How will the creators handle the fact Carrie Fisher isn’t with us anymore? Will we get answers as to how it’s possible for Force spirits to physically connect with life beings? Is Kylo lying to Rey about her parents (I think he is)?

Yep, I’m definitely a fan of this movie and this trilogy. It’s time to let the past die and make way for new heroes. And I’m glad the old heroes get their parts to play out, instead of having new characters just thrown at us out of nowhere.

Oh and for those who say it’s all just another Disney marketing scheme to sell more merchandise. Well, guess what? Star Wars has always been that :) Just watch the first episode of the Netflix series The Toys That Made Us.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 03:18:33 AM »
Wow, all kinds of awesome points here Remco. I found myself nodding to most. I need to set down and write all my things down here real soon too. So tempted to try and get the gang back together to podcast on this. I just have no time!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 06:41:36 AM »
A few other things I noticed: Luke’s black outfit with the white shirt underneath it is very much like a reverend/priest. Maybe it was deliberately symbolic to show Luke trying to purge the evil from Kylo. Also, Luke doesn’t leave any footprints on the ground during his battle with Kylo.

Furthermore, I couldn’t really find the right image online, but the souped up AT-STs on board Snoke’s ship reminded me of those in The Force Unleashed I or II. Again, not sure, could also be I remembered some concept artwork.

But it’s just great to see these tiny points of recognition of other franchises and even the EU… er… sorry Legends universe.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 01:15:42 AM »
Yeah, what Hamill himself says...

All 50+ times | Mark Hamill | tried to subtly warn us about | Star Wars The Last Jedi:

I feel so sorry for Mark. It can't be that Mark Hamill is treated like that and that Disney spits upon George Lucas' opinion on his legacy and what they make with it. He sold his child and now it's...let's say "not treated well".
And Mark was forced to take back and completely contradict his statements of how he feels about his character in the Sequels and is not allowed to share his own opionion on them anymore.
I AM happy that we see new Star Wars movies, but THIS IS NOT how you treat your cast. The quantity of movies and ticket sales at theaters don't necessarily say anything about their quality. I mean fans had been hoping to see a continuation of ROTJ since 1983. Everybody was excited to see TFA in 2015! My brother and I went to the midnight preview and left the cinema with mixed feelings. I wanted to give it a chance and watched it 3 times in theaters and another 4 times back home. But there are more things that really bother me than good aspects in TFA. In conclusion I'm so massively disappointed by the plot and some of the new characters and their properties of TFA that I haven't even watched TLJ. I already spent enough time and money on Jar Jar Abrams' masterpiece. I let a friend of mine tell me everything about TLJ and how he feels about it. And I'm glad to not have gone watch it. It was the right decision.
And I won't even watch Episode IX. I do like Rogue One and I'm excited to see SOLO and more Disney movies about Star Wars. But generally Disney is ruining the franchise not only with their movies, that split fans so much, but also their agenda and policy on cast and licenses (merchandise, distribution, exclusiveness etc.). I mean there's even been so much trouble surrounding RO and SOLO regarding the ending, alternative ending, reshootings, cast, salaries, budget and even directors were replaced!! In conclusion: It's just a big mess right now.
Thanks Disney.

I know Star Wars is for everyone and at least 3 generations grew up with one of the Trilogies by now. I also know that it is questionable to judge a movie without even having seen it. Or judging about the Sequel Trilogy before it's even complete. But I honestly don't know how Mr Abrams will right the wrongs of TLJ. I still can't believe Johnson just let Snoke die like he was nobody...

For me Star Wars is art. Star Wars is fun and Star Wars is inspiring the minds and imagination of millions of souls around the world. It was George's intention to inspire young artists with his work.
And I feel everyone should enjoy what he or she likes. I'm not judging anyone for liking or disliking things as long as they have reasonable arguments for or against it.
This is just my opinion. But I don't know how I can enjoy a movie in which the main character (Luke Skywalker) is taken to such a contradicting direction. How can I enjoy a movie when I know the actor of its (former) protagonist is not happy about his role and the turn of his character?
I know the expectations were incredibly high on Mr Abrams and Mrs Kennedy and I also know one just cannot please everyone. But it's alarming when even the creator of Star Wars himself is NOT happy with what they've done.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:27:13 AM by Darth More »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
Gosh... I still think about this movie everyday.

I seriously don't know how or why Disney let it pass.

As a standalone movie its "fine". Was produced and constructed well enough... But everything else taken into context I can't help but feel like its
Equivalent wanting to send your food back.

Curious  what other's feelings are since its been awhile.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 03:36:05 PM »
Gosh... I still think about this movie everyday.

I seriously don't know how or why Disney let it pass.

As a standalone movie its "fine". Was produced and constructed well enough... But everything else taken into context I can't help but feel like its
Equivalent wanting to send your food back.

Curious  what other's feelings are since its been awhile.

Thanks for your feedback!

Here's another one my brother recommended me to watch and I do having a great time!

This video's title is "Star Wars: The Last Forcebender" and is made by E;R on YouTube:

Enjoy!

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 07:04:01 AM »
My wife was astounded I didn't want to attend an open air event to watch this last night.

I never thought I would prefer the prequels to anything till this.

That being said, Solo and Rogue One are among my top favorites even including my beloved OT.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 09:55:40 PM »
Yeah I cannot believe the hype that its the most selling bluray yada yada.

I don't see what the draw is. The prequels REALLY do seem like treasures in comparison. Sure the acting and dialogue is better then 20yrs ago but that's like comparing different incarnations of Star Trek. For every EP 1-3 bad/cringe... You have just as many in TLJ combined.

I think TLJ was proof they aka Disney/Lucasfilm had ZERO clue what to do or even how to do it (without copying).

I mean how are you supposed to care about any of the characters after TLJ? the new characters just get jerked around and the original ones killed off / ignored out of writers fear. They even hammer it down that none of it matters since everyone important gets away...  Roll cola cola/Duracell Jedi Xmas commercial.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 06:11:00 AM »
@Tamer: I can understand your wife was astounded about that. And I think you made the right choice.

@Tamer & (SID): I did not mean to bash on The Last Jedi. I think Star Wars should be fun to everyone and inspire in the first place. Everyone should be able to like or dislike certain aspects, characters ot entire episodes. I respect everyone's opinion as long it is reasonable. To me even George's SAGA isn't perfect. There are some scenes I would've let out completely (e.g. ROTS: Jedi Temple, Darth Vader killing Younglings) and others that I would've extended (e.g. ROTS: Duel in Chancellor Palpatine's Office). Still, ROTS is my favourite movie. And I love and respect George's art for so many reasons.

I have not watched TLJ, yet, and I decided to never do so. Instead, I watched four different reviews streaming for over 5 hours and came to the conclusion that it was the right decision to boycott the second sequel.
The Last Jedi might be made well in termns of visual effects and sounds, but that's mostly the work of ILM and visual designers at LucasFilm. To me there are still too many, if not countless reasons to not like it. I personally hate the Seuquels. And here is the main reason why:

The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi make everything, the heroes of the Original Trilogy achieved, pointless!

The existence of the New Republic is even pointless as it is destroyed by the even BIGGER Death St...I mean Starkiller Base in TFA - we didn't get to know anything about these 5 planets before they were wiped out all at once - how convenient they were all located next to each other in one single planet system. The story of Jar J. Abrams is just a complete mess to me. And as (SID) said, it appears that not Disney nor Mrs Kennedy nor Rian Johnson had a clue on how to continue Episode VII - Jar Jar did, but Rian didn't pay attention - he wanted to do "his own thing". I completely agree with you, (SID), it was a major copy & paste procedure - but it went dramatically wrong...

But I'm not getting started on this, again...I'm happy for everyone who can enjoy the Sequel Trilogy.

I just can't.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:18:43 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
Folks are allowed to have opinions around here.

Heck, you can even change yours once a few years have past too. Maybe TLJ will grow on us all.