Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
We have a teaser trailer here.

It's also been confirmed that sadly, Billy Dee will NOT be reprising his role as Lando. Maybe Episode 9.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:23:10 AM »
So what do you think? Is Luke the Last Jedi or what? Sounds like two different voices on that line to me.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:58 AM »
So, who is excited to go see TLJ? I know I am, especially after that latest trailer. It seems TLJ, just like TESB, will be of a much darker tone, perhaps even darker. But I also think it won't be a 'rehash' of TESB (you know, the lead porg claiming to be Rey's father :p ).

I plan on seeing it opening day, which is..... wait for it...... December 13th here in Holland :D  :D :D  0/ vadsab

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:20:05 AM »
Yeah, looking forward to the Heavy Walkers personally. I know a lot of folks are hating the rehash so to speak, but I am so looking forward to that snowy ground battle. I will probably try to see it in our dinner theatre place (Alamo) and maybe make a whole day out of it and stay up late, etc. I may also try to get my Driver costume out and troop a bit.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 10:39:44 PM »
I saw it today with my 8 yr old son and we both loved it, it's not the originals or Rogue One but it is very entertaining.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:45 AM »
Here are just some of my initial thought folks:

Well, I saw this yesterday morning and must say I was pretty pleased with this one. It was awesome to see all the nods to the original trilogy films for those of us that mainly love those, but the story-line was original enough that this wasn't just a rehashed version of TESB in my opinion. I also really enjoyed the space and ground and lightsaber battles and there is definitely enough old and new vehicle and ship love to go around to keep us all happy. I think the same thing can also be said with alien races and beasts.

About the only drawbacks I will say for now is that I thought humor was almost forced into this movie at times and a few things were a little far fetched to be believed, but still it wasn't glaring enough to leave me feeling cheated overall.

It will be fun to nitpick this in the future after we have given folks enough time to see this so we can post those spoiler elements and not worry about ruining the film for those who haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:42:50 AM by Tamer »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »
Hello everyone! I saw it opening night with a big group of fans. I got to troop as a Tuscan Raider with my friends in the Local 501st group Carolina Garrison. My local comic shop puts on big events for movie openings and has art on display, gaming tables set up and photo ops with Carolina Garrison. So we had a grand time and were all hyped up. Shawn I hope you were able to troop with a few others!

To stay spoiler free, I will leave out a detailed break down. Maybe we can get the gang back together for a review full of spoilers after Christmas. In general, I really enjoyed this film. I am not a big fan of the slapstick comedy but there were times where it worked. Other times were corny and one went on for far too long. The plot was not what I expected but I don't go into these new films with a list of expectations. I go in with an opened mind and just want to see what the next chapter will bring us. Great character development on Kylo, I like him more now. Some aliens I liked some not so impressive. I enjoyed all of the battle scenes and the ending. I guess that is about all I should say for now.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
I have to say I did enjoy the film. Halfway through I thought boy oh boy this is bad... really bad. However it redeemed itself in the second half. The comedy was too much at the begining like Monty Python's Star Wars, but it slowed down. The porgs were..... well.. porgs, very Disney. I like Canto Blight only because it is filmed in Croatia where I will be visiting soon. Other than that i didn't care for it, the aliens could have been better, i think.  Speaking of aliens I actually like the Force Nuns, and the Green milk scene. Lol

Like I said it redeemed itself with the lightsaber fight, the space battles and new ships. It had the WW2 movie feel that I like about Star Wars. I have to admit I am a believer in ReyLo. Lol. And that is definitely happening. Which is funny because everyone thinks it is so outrageous. Despite what people say I like Luke in this movie. So... yeah it was a good movie. Yes there were some cring worthy moments, but the fact that it was fearless and inventive, I have to give it some slack.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:51:00 AM by JDeck »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 09:04:38 PM »
Hmmm. see why the film has split opinions, but I am one of the positive voices.

It was definitely following the Empire Strikes Back in the way it takes the story, it was almost operatic. Lots for everyone to enjoy, the Jedi fans, the special effects fans etc.

I have read some of the criticisms, but actually I think some are totally unfounded especially where it takes the two main characters. The interplay between them was really good I thought.  In terms of justifying Kylo as a villain, its Star Wars and its always had odd characters that just don't fit, I am happy to go with the flow and putting him into context with the full story behind the Saga, it has to be a Grandson of Skywalker for the whole thing to make sense. He's certainly more of a psycho than his Grandfather, and in Dark Side Jedi terms, that's not good for the Galaxy.

As someone seeing people around me growing old, its was emotional seeing the movie move through the generations. When you look at the film from that perspective its also very good. The world changes and I guess the galaxy far far away changes in just the same way too. We fight wars one generation and things change as generations pass. I missed the old days, and thats how it is as we grow older too. I hope that fans who have grown up at different points in the saga will enjoy it for different reasons, seeing it from different perspectives. I saw it as Luke's generation, and I felt the sadness. To me if a film stirs emotion thats a great result.

If we take this movie as a piece of art, I think it was beautiful and poignant. The bond between the younger characters is beginning to become clear and that was what made the first movies so good. Upon reflection, some of the writing was really fantastic. Some great moments in this one, the scene with R2D2 was bitter sweet and how Luke played out was brilliant I thought.

I am sure we can all nit pick, but to me Star Wars is sacred, and I will enjoy this movie again, I think it ranks as one of the better ones in terms of how it makes you feel.

Personally I think the very final scene was the best of the  film, somehow it seemed to convey the magic and wonder of the whole Star Wars Saga.

I think it left the door open for a great ending to the full saga and I am now really looking forward to Ep9.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:49:31 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »
Saw it open captioned for my birthday; have to say... being someone who has not delved as deeply into the old EU Legends, and someone who enjoyed both Trilogies, even considering how some scenes were badly acted in both.... I must say, this Episode was pretty good, sure compared to the very dark and gritty Rogue One, and compared to the "Not a Rehash but a rehash of Star Wars" in TFA; there was more comedy in it... but it also had more serious scenes, especially concerning Leia and Luke, and it had great "From a Certain Point of view" subplot relating to Kylo.... overall, it could have been done better, but it is better done than Ep 1 and 2. I love the ship designs, wish we could see more of them, and I liked the storyline, it wasn't following ESB scene for scene..  and I did see an awesome easter egg in one scene...  [at1]

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 03:48:50 AM »
I guess among the TLJ partisans, adorers, haters, apologists etc. there is also my kind: indifferent(ists).
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
I thought the movie was terrible personally. Looked like a TV SHOW in standard. 3D (imax) was way better it actually looked more polished and not dull and flat (like standard).

TLJ is nothing more the franchise bait that ponders to the youngest and least intelligent moviegoers.

The Harry Potter ending is proof that Disney doesn't know or care about SW 

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
Ok, it looks like there have been some pretty detailed reviews, and after 2 weeks, I’d hope you’d all have seen the film, but just in case...

SPOLER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT!!!!
[/size][/color]

First and foremost: I freaking LOVED this film!  Probably at least Top 3 Star Wars film for me, behind ROTJ and ANH, and MAYBE even ahead of ANH.  Seriously, I felt like this film tied every other film together in a way that packaged up the Saga, with the knowledge that we’ll be moving forward from here on out. 

I feel like the film was far more of a thinker than many give it credit for.  A lot of the reviews I’ve read approached the film as a WYSIWYG type of movie, but I picked up a lot of the key elements on what was said, and what wasn’t seen.  There was a general theme to this film, and it was that the Legacy of Skywalker is that of the Dark Side, no matter who you’re talking about.  Additionally, the Legacy of the Jedi is one of failure and tragedy.  These two notions are what the movie was developed from, and what the entire Saga is drawn from. 

Anakin started out as a young, enthusiastic (and obnoxious) young boy why just wanted to right the wrongs of the galaxy.  In the end, he was done in by Sith treachery and fell to the Dark Side hard, killing off almost all of the Jedi in the galaxy.  In the end, he redeemed himself for his son and daughter, the very two individuals he began his journey to the Dark Side to try and protect to begin with by somehow saving Padme from dying during child birth.  Kylo, according to this film, had already begun his descent before his confrontation with Luke.  But most importantly, we see the Luke had fallen, at least slightly, to the Dark Side by seeking to strike down his own nephew.  There is little knowledge given about his thoughts and feelings before their confrontation, but we see he is willing to kill his own family rather than see the Sith return, and we know that Fear is the pathway to the Dark Side.  While most of the EU has been written off by Disney, we do know that Luke has fallen more than once to the Dark Side.  He even cuts himself off entirely from the Force, for fear of his own inability to control his emotions.  So we see that a Skywalker, any Skywalker, can and likely will fall to the Dark Side of the force, and Luke does not want to impart that travesty to anymore students.

We see that once again, the Jedi fail to prevent the Sith from rising.  Luke wishes to burn the Jedi text, ancient texts that predate even Yoda, from a time when the Jedi first began.  He wishes to end the legacy of failure by the Jedi, and when Yoda appears, he doesn’t try to stop him.  Yoda’s final teachings are that it’s time to let go of the past, and trust in the future.  Without saying it, Yoda tells Luke to go ahead and burn the texts, because the future of the Galaxy, of the Jedi, is not contained in a book, and perhaps it’s time to try something different.  Yoda never stops teaching, and Luke still never listens.  These two elements are incredibly powerful, when considered.  Rey is the future, let her learn in new ways and trust in her heart. 

I’ve read a lot of complaints on how Luke leaves the series, and I have to also disagree with the naysayers.  Obi-Wan was called the Rebellion’s Only Hope, and he fulfilled his role perfectly.  He sacrificed himself in ANH by becoming One with The Force before Vader struck him down.  He did so to become a catalyst to motivate Luke into following his journey to becoming a Jedi.  It was exactly what the Galaxy needed to be saved from the Empire, and it worked.  It was wise, it was well thought out, and it worked.  Yoda, used his powers with The Force to keep himself alive until Luke could return for his final lesson, and then became One with the Force to continue his teachings with Luke.  Luke, after reconnecting to The Force, and being one of the most powerful Jedi in history, used what power he could muster to say his goodbyes to Leia, and even C-3PO, and face off against Kylo in order to give Rey and the Resistance a chance to escape.  He sent Kylo into a fit of rage that won’t be forgotten, and accomplished his task.  He was the Resistance’s Last Hope, and he gave them that hope.  As he sat on the meditation rock, he faced out towards Twin Suns, very similar to the Twin Suns of Tatooine, where it all began.  Full circle, Luke’s journey ended where it began, and then he became One with the Force. I can’t think of a better way for Luke to have gone out.

Porgs: I love the little buggers, and want a dozen in my house.  Seriously, they cracked me up.  I know, they’re cutesy, Disney propaganda to appeal to young children.  But appreciate them for what they are: Comedic relief.  The scene where they stared down Chewbacca for trying to eat one of their own, their infestation of the Falcon, and especially their attempt to howl like Chewbacca was fantastic.  Loved every bit of it.  Bring them on!

Leia, floating in space, doesn’t die, and makes her way back to a ship with no jetpack?  Ok, this one was a stretch, even for me.  Granted, she STILL is the daughter of Anakin Skywalker, but never as trained as Luke or other Jedi.  Still, it was a weird scene, and unnecessary.  That was their chance to phase her out of the franchise since she actually died.  However, they had filmed all of her spots prior to her death, so perhaps it would have really wrecked the bulk of the movie to reshoot all of the other scenes.

I would like to know more about Snoke: Where did he come from?  Why is he disfigured?  Why was he so powerful?  But now he’s gone.  Is he?  Sith have a habit of rebuilding themselves with mechanics, so is he actually dead?  We never see his ship be COMPLETELY destroyed, or anything else happen to his body.  Just saying...

But there are a few questions remaining: Where did Rey come from, and what is her legacy?  And What’s in store for Kylo Ren?  Who are the Knights of Ren?  How does that all figure in with the Saga? 

The last element that I think doesn’t sit well with fans and casual viewers alike is, the entire movie broke the mold.  In the OT and PT, the middle films end in devastation and on a dark note, with the Bad Guys winning the day.  But this movie was different.  The Good Guys won.  The First Order was defeated, their leaders dead, their armada destroyed, and the Resistance got away.  Leia and the Resistance lives, Rey conquered her fears and became more in tune with The Force.  She is learning to harness her seemingly incredible Force powers, and she resisted both Snoke and Kylo.  She’s the first in a new line of Jedi, and she’s not afraid of that. 

I loved this movie.  Every aspect.  Where the minor elements seemed to fall short or really stand out, the rest of the movie redeemed them all.  I can’t wait to see how J.J. Abrams wraps it all up!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »
Yes I think now the time for spoilers is ok. Surely everyone has seen it that wants to by now. Rave away folks. I will when I get a chance to set down and do it correctly.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:10 AM »
Seen it five times now, more viewings planned. I'm working on a detailed personal review/opinion of it, but in a nutshell? Awesome installment of the saga, my third favourite SW movie, for sure.