Author Topic: My Imperial Army-Build W.I.P.  (Read 8793 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: My Imperial Army-Build W.I.P.
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 06:44:57 AM »
Unfortunately, I agree with you about the likelihood of more Scarif stuff, JDeck. I think we will probably eventually get each of the main figures, but it could be a very, very long time.

I like the shelves a lot. It's a bummer about the wiggle factor, but it's not insurmountable.

Their focus is on OT and Mandalorian, so they say. Their so backed up it's not even funny.
Yeah I might be able to hammer it down for a snugger fit, but I think it's just how it is. $200 for a wobbly shelf.

So it's 2 against 1, gentlemen. I stay optimistic for more Rogue One goodness in TVC: Krennic, Baze Malbus, Mr Saw Gerrera and even a Scarif Playset. I can definitely see the brand team making those.

That definitely looks like a high-end rack! Never heard of charging a storage rack by its weight, but one can tell, this is the best stuff out there for smaller logistics/office purposes.
I paid 25 bucks for a similar one, but it's not that stable by far! I also love the height you chose for the floors. It's amazing that a single rack can store a whole garrison! Nice arrangement with the Emperor above and the vehicles on the floor, especially because these Scout Walkers tend to fall over.
You're working on some truly awesome projects at the moment, JDeck!
Thanks for sharing all the fun with us!

I was joking about charging by the pound. In other words it was heavy. Luckily I have a truck and dolly, so I could move it upstairs by myself.
Your optimism is commendable. I'm too jaded at this point to have any optimism at all.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2023, 07:15:32 AM »
Man for that price that should be rock solid.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2023, 07:17:04 PM »
Man for that price that should be rock solid.

I would think. $200 doesn't get you much especially at home depot. I did get a good deal on the folding table I'm using for photography. I think they rung it up wrong.

I started putting my Shoretrooper/stormtrooper company together. Everytime you see shoretroopers there are stormtroopers mixed in, so this is the logical solution I came up with.  Got 2 platoons up. Im going to put them in rank formation as opposed to file. I decided to make Shoretrooper= NCO, Shoretrooper Squad leaders= senior NCO, Shoretrooper Captain= CO/platoon leader. Stormtroopers=private. Then each platoon has an attached 5 man section,  1st platoon incinerator troopers, 3rd Rocket launcher Troopers,  2nd Mortar troopers, 4th heavy shoretroopers. Having each platoon HQ (front row) with an E-WEB team (I reckon 4 men can carry an E-WEB). I think the rank formation makes it more interesting, than having each type in a column. I just have to finish setting up the other 2 platoons, with the exception of 10 troopers on preorder. Im using the Stormtrooper Commander as the Company Commander.   Commander is used very loosely, but I'm taking it literally as a rank between Captain and Major.
To break the monotony, I started separating and laying out the other 2 shelves.  Navy/high command and armored/scout/patrol shelf.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:49:58 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2023, 10:51:25 PM »
I like that organization totally makes sense. I like the rank formation idea as well. This will be an imposing display when done :)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2023, 11:28:33 PM »
I like that organization totally makes sense. I like the rank formation idea as well. This will be an imposing display when done :)

I was watching AOTC the other day and I payed close attention to the clone formations. Granted they were in the millions where my garrison is in the hundreds, I figure I'll use the same formation. The OT didn't make things very clear. I try to make sense of the military structure of the Empire and with every movie it contradicts itself. For example Moff Gergerrod had a Colonel/Navy Captain rank plaque, because of a mixup in wordrobe. When gerjerrod and Piett come out soon, Piett will have a higher rank according to the plaque, even though Gergerrod is the equivalent to Tarkin in ANH. It's a mess. My solution is I'll swap heads. My Garrison takes place 10BBY, (seeing Thrawn, Tarkin, Reva are in) when gerjerrod was a Navy Admiral and Piett was a Captain.  You kind of have to fudge ranks around in army building.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:45:19 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 03:55:49 AM »
Man this is giving off some Jesse James vibes (army collector who lives near me that has massive armies). Nice work.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2023, 06:08:15 AM »
This looks awesome already! AOTC didn't age that well though. I had to think of your project when I went to the DIY store last time. They had some decent racks for 30-40€ there.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2023, 04:31:31 PM »
This looks awesome already! AOTC didn't age that well though. I had to think of your project when I went to the DIY store last time. They had some decent racks for 30-40€ there.

I think once there's weight on the shelves it's sturdier. Each shelf is supposed to hold 1000lbs. Really it should be mounted to the wall, but I'm not doing that. I think this is the biggest shelf on the market.  I went by AOTC rank formation because the OT was too inconsistent, and everyone puts their armies in file formation, and I always have to be different.

I finished setting up the Stormtrooper Company of 4 platoons of 50 troops in 5 10 troop squads.
Im still waiting for 5 mortar troopers and 5 ANH Stormtroopers.  Takes almost an hour to set up one platoon.

Also I set up the Navy shelf. Im still waiting for 6 more Darktroopers. Waiting to preorder Piett and Gerjerrod.
One more shelf to put up. Armored company, reconnaissance company, and patrol company. Basically a catch-all shelf.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:37:12 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2023, 10:49:32 AM »
This is a truly impressive Imperial deployment there! I like the Heavy Stormtroopers with Missile Launchers in the back, too. You use silicone pads to give your figures a secure stand, right?
That setup of Stormies and Shoretroopers reminds me of Rogue One. Glad you already secured some Dark Troopers, too! The Emperor must be proud!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 07:23:31 PM »
This is a truly impressive Imperial deployment there! I like the Heavy Stormtroopers with Missile Launchers in the back, too. You use silicone pads to give your figures a secure stand, right?
That setup of Stormies and Shoretroopers reminds me of Rogue One. Glad you already secured some Dark Troopers, too! The Emperor must be proud!
Thank you. I'm going to make a custom rocket launcher stormtrooper or Demolition trooper they go by many names. I was thinking a female based on the only female stormtrooper ever made by hasbro with Lady Jaye from GI Joe.  Just to mix things up a little.

The way I mount the figures is using the gorilla brand mounting putty. No residue. When I first started my army I bought a bunch of stands. Most of the figures worked, except the shoretroopers. The holes were too small and shallow. Instead of buying 600 stands, and hope they fit, I used a better option. I can remove them at will, and replace them. And the shands need a certain amount of space between figures, this way I can space them any way I want. I really recommend this.  I have approximately 600 men and one pack is enough for all of them.
Also I use it sometimes for customs. If a head doesn't quite fit, or a helmet, I put a little of this putty in to secure it. Especially for temporary customs for photography. I've used it on holsters temporarily. Even imperial officer rank plaques. It stays secure and it's easily removable. I'm not trying to sound like a commercial, but Gorilla makes the best products.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:37:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2023, 12:56:50 AM »
Thank you. I'm going to make a custom rocket launcher stormtrooper or Demolition trooper they go by many names. I was thinking a female based on the only female stormtrooper ever made by hasbro with Lady Jaye from GI Joe.  Just to mix things up a little.

The way I mount the figures is using the gorilla brand mounting putty.

You're right, Rocket Launcher Stormtrooper is the official term. Using a female Stormtrooper body will be interesting. Taking the latest TVC version and modify it with sculpting clay would be another interesting project. I wonder if Hasbro will make a female Trooper ever again especially with all the equality discussions of recent years.

Thank you so much! I was somehow missing the word putty. That's the one you mentioned earlier in this and another thread. There's something similar available here in Germany called UHU Patafix. They describe them as glue pads. I'm definitely going to get some of those and of the ones from Gorilla.
My host dad in Michigan is a big fan of Gorilla glue and tape as well! I say it's totally justified.
You guys have some amazing brands in the U.S.
Maybe Tamer can turn this into an affiliate, please:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gorilla+mounting+putty&crid=2EIOF5JMT7FUX&sprefix=gorilla+mounting+putty%2Caps%2C403&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 03:55:36 AM »
That shelf is filling up nicely. Thanks for showing us the mounting putty.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2023, 08:25:46 AM »

The way I mount the figures is using the gorilla brand mounting putty.

You're right, Rocket Launcher Stormtrooper is the official term. Using a female Stormtrooper body will be interesting. Taking the latest TVC version and modify it with sculpting clay would be another interesting project. I wonder if Hasbro will make a female Trooper ever again especially with all the equality discussions of recent years.

Thank you so much! I was somehow missing the word putty. That's the one you mentioned earlier in this and another thread. There's something similar available here in Germany called UHU Patafix. They describe them as glue pads. I'm definitely going to get some of those and of the ones from Gorilla.
My host dad in Michigan is a big fan of Gorilla glue and tape as well! I say it's totally justified.
You guys have some amazing brands in the U.S.
Maybe Tamer can turn this into an affiliate, please:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gorilla+mounting+putty&crid=2EIOF5JMT7FUX&sprefix=gorilla+mounting+putty%2Caps%2C403&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Yeah I was wondering if gorilla was available or not in Europe, but I'm sure patafix would work too. I wouldn't recommend the blue kind, I remember using that and it left blue marks everywhere.

The female stormtrooper I'm going to use the Legacy EE exclusive Joker Squad Jes. It's a decent figure, the only female stormtrooper figure. I've never seen a yellowed one.  She's slimmer and shorter than the standard stormtrooper. . She's expensive though. I have 2 now.  There isn't a whole lot of variation in stormtrooper army building, so figures like this are pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 08:28:51 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2023, 04:05:59 PM »
The Pulse Exclusive Hoth rebel 4-pack heads fit okay on the new Stormtroopers. The Rebel Fleet trooper heads fit a little loose, with some modifications they could be perfect, but temporarily, for photography they will work. They're good looking heads, well painted and unique. Id like to represent stormtroopers as people, not faceless, nameless soldiers. Some of the best war movies are German made antiwar ww2 movies. The German soldiers are portrayed as normal people thrown into a bad situation. I was watching Generation War the other day and I'd love to see a Star Wars version of something like that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:15:04 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 01:52:49 AM »
I was always afraid that my Joker Squad yellows. I got the set from EE back in the day when I lived in Michigan. It was on clearance and I got it for $27,84, whcih were 20,65€ back then. A single carded figure cost 12.99€ in 2010. So this was a steal of a deal for 7 figures. Thanks for sharing your experience with Joker Squad. I do hope that they don't yellow.

Brilliant idea with the head-swaps! Thanks for sharing! I would love to see more of your Scarif diorama as well! I haven't seen the complete dio, yet, but the details blew me away already.