Author Topic: The Enloe Trials - Chapter 10  (Read 1786 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
The Enloe Trials - Chapter 10
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Somehow I neglected to post this for a while.. but here is the 10th installment in The Enloe Trials...

For reference, please feel free to catch up on the past chapters at the links below -- plus character profiles too:

The Enloe Trials Prologue: The Baron's Crusade
Chapter 1: Seeds of Insurrection
Chapter 2: Atrocity
Chapter 3: Revelations
Chapter 4: Shadow of Death
Chapter 5: Depths of Despair
Chapter 6:  Seekers of the Dark Relic
Chapter 7:  Veils of Deceit
Chapter 8:  Catastrophe
Chapter 9:  The Fall of Banyss

And the character profiles are as follows...

Rykrof Enloe - Homeworld - Naboo.  Former Republic Commander, who is now an enemy of the Empire.  He has a history of entanglements with the Badoo Corba terrorist organization, dating back prior to the Clone Wars.  He is a former close friend of  Imperial Baron Tylin Gere and was been forced to embark on a desperate mission to acquire an ancient Sith artifact for Tylin - which ended in failure.  Since then, he has inadvertently led Imperial forces to a secret Rebel base on Banyss, which was destroyed by Darth Vader's forces.  Rykrof has now been taken captive by the Empire.

Alyssa Enloe - Homeworld - Naboo.  The wife of Rykrof Enloe, Alyssa has lived a hard life being married to Rykrof, and has been the target of Rykrof's enemies over the years.  She is a survivor, but is now in the captivity of Imperial Baron Tylin Gere.

Caldin Enloe - Homeworld - Naboo.  The son of Rykrof and Alyssa Enloe.  His grandmother was a Jedi Master.  Former Jedi, Kala Mly Shundi, has sensed that the boy is Force-sensitive.  Caldin is now in the captivity of Imperial Baron Tylin Gere and has grown to resent his father.

Freelo Macklar - Homeworld - Dak.  Former freelance scientist who became friends with Rykrof Enloe during the Clone Wars.  Freelo has been known to be timid, but is extremely loyal to the Enloe family. 

Kala Mly Shundi - Homeworld - Coruscant.  Kala was once the apprentice of Rykrof Enloe's mother, who was a Jedi Master.  Kala has flirted with the Dark Side of the Force and experienced terrible visions of the future.  He barely survived Order 66, getting ambushed by clone troopers on Braatos VII.  He now works with the Rebel Underground in the struggle against the Galactic Empire.

Traedon Cusiro - Homeworld - Corellia.  Former bounty hunter who once worked for the Badoo Corba terrorists.  He helped Rykrof escape from Separatists on Dathomir during the Clone Wars, but later attempted to kill Senator Padme Amidala.  After escaping from prison, he swore an oath to bring down the Empire and joined forces with Kala Mly Shundi.

T-3PO - Homeword - Cybot Galactica.  Protocol Droid that has served the Enloe family for years.  He survived an Imperial attack on the Enloe homestead and a terrible ordeal on Dathomir.

Tame Heem - Homeworld - Ithor.  Former Republic Senator who has sworn to bring about the destruction of the Empire.  His connections to current senators sympathetic to the Rebel cause make him an invaluable asset to the Rebellion.  Tame and Rykrof have a long relationship; dating back to the Crisis on Abridon, which took place shortly prior to the Battle of Naboo.

Baron Tylin Gere - Homeworld - Naboo.  Former close ally of Rykrof Enloe, the two served as Republic Peace Officers prior to the Clone Wars and later as officers in the Grand Army of the Republic.  Tylin thirsts for power and has become obsessed with acquiring an ancient Sith artifact, which was recently acquired by Darth Vader, who he secretly sees as a rival.  He has taken custody of Alyssa and Caldin Enloe, and ordered the death of Rykrof's father. 

Commander Vlarra Gere - Homeworld - Naboo.  Nephew of Tylin Gere.  Vlarra has always admired his uncle's ambition and strives to rise through the Imperial ranks quickly, regardless of the means.

Emperor Palpatine - Homeword - Naboo.  Dark Lord of the Sith and the undisputed leader of the Galactic Empire.  Attempted to mold Rykrof Enloe as the ideal Imperial officer but failed.  He takes great interest in Baron Tylin Gere's personal quests for power and admires his ambition.

Darth Vader - Homeworld - Tatooine.  Dark Lord of the Sith and follows the instructions of his master, Emperor Palpatine.  During the Clone Wars, he was once friends with Rykrof Enloe.  He considers Rykrof a traitor to the Empire but also is fully aware that Rykrof once helped protect Padme Amidala.  However, his loyalties to Emperor Palpatine are secure.

Just days ago, Imperial forces assaulted a secret rebel base on Banyys.

The defenders of the complex fought bravely...

...but were vastly outnumbered.

Even the presence of several Jedi Knights was not enough to stem the tide...

...as the Empire crushed their opposition.

A small number of rebels managed to escape...

...but Rykrof Enloe was taken captive.

Held aboard an Imperial Star Destroyer, Rykrof knows he his doomed.

Under constant guard, and highly sedated, he drifts in and out of consciousness.

The past comes back to him.

His adult life has been filled with conflict...

...and desperation for survival.

In this galaxy of turmoil, few remain that Rykrof can trust...

...as the leadership he entrusted confidence in was nothing more than a ploy...

...to gain absolute control over the galaxy.

Even his childhood friend, Tylin Gere, has been seduced by the darkness...

...resulting in a passion for power that has put Rykrof's family in harm's way.

The horrors of the Empire have become constant nightmares...

...old enemies have been replaced by new foes...

...those closest to him seem to be letting go...

...and are ready to pursue their own paths.

He is becoming a man with nothing to lose.

Far away, a lone shuttle has landed on the distant world of Nalwuun.

The planet houses a small rebel base...

...with a variety of brave souls who dare to oppose the Empire.

Departing from their shuttle, Traedon Cusiro and Freelo Macklar look forward to reconnecting with an old friend.

"It's a relief to see you both," Kala exhales.
"We were lucky that any of us survived the assault on Banyys."

"Any news on Rykrof?"

"I'm afraid not," Kala admits.
"And I've been unable to connect with him through the Force."

"What does that mean?  Is he dead?"

"No, I don't believe that's the case," Kala assures him.
"If he were to have been killed, I'm certain I would have sensed it."

"My intuition tells me he was likely captured," Freelo helpfully offers.

"You know, that's about as good as being dead."

"We have no way of truly knowing at this time," Kala counters.

"Follow me."

"This place reminds me of Banyss," Freelo observes.

"I hope the Empire doesn't find out about this base too!"

"We have secret bases across several different systems," Kala tells the others.

"The Empire will never be able to locate them all."

"Ah," former Senator Tame Heem sighs upon seeing the trio approach.
"Traedon and Freelo.  I'm so happy to see you alive and well."

"They are among the few to escape Banyss," Kala says.
"My Jedi brethren were not so fortunate."

Kala then turns slowly to his friends.
"I've already spoken with Tame. I'm afraid we can't spare any resources to look for Rykrof."

"But we have to!" Freelo begs.
"He was captured on Banyss!"

"We can't afford to risk any more losses," Tame Heem sternly says.
"Besides, Rykrof was responsible for what happened."

"Now look," Traedon warns as he steps toward the Ithorian.
"Any chance he's alive... we're going to find him."

"Rykrof was responsible for what happened," Kala interjects.
"But, we know none of this was intentional. He inadvertently brought back an Imperial homing device to the base."

"But at this time there may not be much I can do," Kala says sadly.
"Given the collapse of Banyss, representatives from several rebel cells will be gathering here throughout the coming week. My presence is vital."

"Rykrof is a good man," Tame concedes.
"I can't spare you any bodies, but I can grant you supplies if you choose to search for him. Take what you need."

"What about droid parts?" Freelo inquires thoughtfully.
"Our protocol droid was damaged during the attack."

"What we have is mostly scrap; but yes... I'll see to it that you're assisted with your droid."

"I'm afraid I can't help with finding Rykrof... at least not yet," Kala tells Freelo.
"But I will contact you both as soon as I'm able to depart."

"Whatever," Traedon concedes.
"As soon as we get re-supplied, I'm headed out."

Kale watches with admiration as Freelo and Traedon walk away.

"If even a man like Traedon can see the light, there is truly hope for the galaxy."

Meanwhile, the Star Destroyer Adamantine patrols a sector known for Rebel activity in the Outer Rim.

Darth Vader approaches the vessel's command center.

"Lord Vader," Baron Gere smiles.
"Were you successful in extracting any information from the prisoner?"

The two officers stand in awkward silence as the Dark Lord of the Sith silently stands before them.

"He did not survive the interrogation," the Dark Lord finally hisses.
"However, I found that Enloe had no link to this Rebel cell..."

"...other than being brought into it due your meddling."

"But, Lord Vader..." Tylin stutters, "...he was in direct contact with a Jedi..."

"All due to a past acquaintanceship," Vader replies stoically.
"His involvement with these Rebels stemmed from the attack you placed on the Enloe Homestead at Urelia..."

"You must understand..."

"You have also attempted to undermine the Empire to acquire the Sith artifact from Badoo Corba terrorists on Dathomir!"

"The Emperor has graciously forgiven your actions... but I have not," Vader warns.

"I am allowing Enloe's family to remain in your custody," he continues.

"...for now."

Several minutes later, Tylin walks away, reflecting on his long relationship with Rykrof Enloe.  His friendship, his enmity, is finally at an end.

"Tylin!" his nephew shouts from behind him.

"So, Enloe's really dead?  Don't you want to see his body?"

"The records log indicates his remains were removed from the ship," the Imperial baron replies.
"It doesn't matter.  I still have custody of Enloe's family.  I have exactly what I want."

"So... what are you going do to with his family?"

"Uncle?"

Meanwhile, strong emotions strike Vader as he enters a secure chamber...

...as the past beckons him.

A good man he once knew put himself in harm's way to make the galaxy safer for others...

...he was always willing to help anyone in need...

...facing deadly enemies...

...and helped secure a passionate secret for Anakin Skywalker.

After the Clone Wars, it took the greed of a man like Tylin Gere to bring Rykrof Enloe out of the shadows...

...and into conflict with the Empire.

Vader then approaches the man he has secretly left alive.

"Sir, the prisoner is alert.  Just as you ordered."

"Enloe," Vader says.
"Listen to me."

"Does it look like I have a choice?"

"Official records designate you as having died due to wounds suffered during a Rebel uprising on Banyss," Vader informs him.

"I am transferring you to a top security prison designated for the highest criminals in the galaxy for the remainder of your existence," Vader pauses.

"No one will know you are alive.  No one will come looking for you.  But I have spared your life."

"What do you want from me?  Gratitude?"

"My debt has been paid."

0/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: The Enloe Trials - Chapter 10
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:24:54 AM »
Great new chapter. Let me go share this.

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:33:49 AM »
Really interesting idea.  Have you ever considered word balloons?  Fumetti!

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
Thanks for the support...

...as for word bubbles, it has crossed my mind but I just prefer this style a little more.  But it really works well on many stories.

0/