Author Topic: How I store and display my loose collection...  (Read 27991 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: How I store and display my loose collection...
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2023, 12:55:09 AM »
Those are amazing for $10 apiece. I particularly like the white convertible Beetle. It looks like a '66. We are sentimental about convertible Beetles. My wife has a white '79 Super Beetle.

Thank you, Jeff! That's a precious hint because it doesn't say its year. But it's 1/17 scale and made in France. There are some odd scales out there like 1/21.5 probably because of licensing by different companies and stuff. Pretty annoying sometimes. One has to pay extra attention while looking for model cars.

But I love your passion for the beetle! A truly fantastic car on its own. My ex got one for her dad because he had to sell his in the past. Now they have two.

I saw one of this kind in a Käfer museum in Austria. FialaFernbrugg took me there when I visited him back in 2017.

This white convertible was built in 1951!

Add: After doing some google research, the model I have must be from the era before '66. The tail lights are still round instead of oval. The next generation was built from 1966-1970. I found a matching reference from 1957.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 10:30:59 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2023, 02:59:30 AM »
Definitely sounds like a cheaper way to collect for much more quality. They look great.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2023, 03:10:07 AM »
Definitely sounds like a cheaper way to collect for much more quality. They look great.

Well, in this case yes. I set my limit at 40€ for a 1/18 scale die-cast model car. But one can easily spend 50-300€ on those models. 300 bucks is where the high end models are at such as AutoArt. They can cost 200-500€ depending on the model and rarity. You can spend a fortune on any hobby I guess.

But I try to get these 1/18 scale models between 10-20€, which worked fine so far with some patience and awareness. A friend of mine collects them in 1/24 scale which are very popular in the U.S. as I've heard. Tempting. I keep this as a very minor side-hobby and sell or trade some cars before I replace them with another one. Thanks for your comment, Shawn!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2023, 03:13:01 AM »
I am too the point of the only way I am probably gonna get new SW Stuff is with sales and what not. I just can't see paying twenty bucks a figure. I mean the six inch stuff is almost the same price.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2023, 03:16:46 AM »
I am too the point of the only way I am probably gonna get new SW Stuff is with sales and what not. I just can't see paying twenty bucks a figure. I mean the six inch stuff is almost the same price.

Exactly - if not cheaper! Many 6 inch figures go for 5-12€ on ebay while TVC figures are 15-$$$. It's crazy.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »

Yes, these die-cast cars take more space, but feel like more value for the dollar. I found those make-up brushes at my grocery store's dollar assortment. 5 very soft brushes for just 2€. You might get those even cheaper at your local Dollar stores in the U.S. They're perfect to remove dust from collectibles.

Definitely my best investment of the week.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2023, 01:10:18 PM »
Nice. I have a little attachment that goes into the end of my drill like a flexible tube for those tight spaces to still be able to drill. Something like this:

https://amzn.to/3oSjr2I

Shawn, if I had a number I'd be calling you right now. LOOK WHAT I FOUND at my favorite grocery store Kaufland (like Walmart). I wasn't even actively looking for it and suddenly stood right in front of it.
The cherry on the pie was the price. Got it 55% off. What a great start into the weekend.
This will safe me from many more blisters and much pain. Thank you! I hope it works on drilling attachments as well.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2023, 05:50:10 AM »
Sweet price too!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2023, 12:58:09 PM »
There are countless ways to display your collectibles. If you have space on your walls left, you might be able to use it in a generous way. Over the weekend, I was thinking about a good way to make a Death Star (display) playset similar to Kenner's. And I found lots of inspiation:

I could see these as displays for Naboo or Cato Neimoidia, too!

This one has a diameter of about 5 feet!

Eventually, I picked up this rack today. I got it for free! But I got different plans for this one (Emperor's dirty laughter intensifies)...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2023, 10:15:41 AM »
I used the time over the weekend to get out some vehicles. I have to admit that I lost track on some of them, so I started to make a photo-archive. I'm not planning on buying more. In fact I decided to sell 11 ships of the lot.

GAR Space

GAR Ground

CIS Space

Have 3 of the big ROTS/TCW Vulture Droids. One is in Dresden as reference for a current diorama project.

CIS Ground

Got two more of the TAC Tri and the repaint of the TAC Mygeeto Battle Pack. Love 'em.

Alliance Space

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 10:30:46 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2023, 06:13:29 AM »
Wow, now that is a lot of ships. Lord knows I know I need to do some streamlining of my collection too.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2023, 07:30:32 AM »
Sweet price too!

I cut 3 more sets of floors yesterday. And while the second coat of paint is drying on the floors, I drilled some holes with my new gadget. Such a tool would be quite handy for dental treatment, too!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2023, 02:51:30 AM »
Look like awesome display cabinets. That tool is a must to get in tight places.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2023, 02:37:54 PM »
Tamer: Yes, your advice for this tool was absolutely precious, Shawn! Thank you so much.
I had some fun modifying a couple more cabinets!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2023, 02:42:13 PM »
Yesterday, I put a third coat of paint on the floors. Today after work I got out some figures.
It's been on my wish-list for years, but tonight I finally put all my TVC and ROTS figures on display. And while I was putting them all out of their plastic bags, I listened to Hasbro's fan stream on YouTube.
The ROTS main line figures only took 3 floors, so I extended the collection by TSC and TAC releases for Revenge of the Sith - where it all started for me back in 2005.
Good times!

Now I got 7 of 16 cabinets modified.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 02:44:16 PM by Darth More »