Author Topic: How I store and display my loose collection...  (Read 27971 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: How I store and display my loose collection...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 11:26:10 PM »
Tamer: Indeed, there are thousands of options and I know you guys in the U.S. have probably the world’s largest selection of storage boxes, bags and units.
Building a custom shelving system to display my collection is on my bucket list. It’s gonna be a combination of white wood and glass cabinets.

It would be pretty cool if you shared your shelve-system with us! I’m excited to see it.

I’ve seen different solutions  on YouTube. This hobby is so creative and communicative and that’s awesome what I love so much about it.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:12:34 PM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »
How I store my vehicle collection...

I’m on the bus heading to Berlin right now and I thought I use the ride to share how I store my vehicles now. I’ve seen LEGO collectors wrap their new sets in clingfilm/plastic wrap to keep them in mint condition.
And this actually works for Hasbro’s vehicles, too.

Despite all environmental concerns, I think this is still a nice & cheap way to avoid scratches and catching dust.

So this is how I stored them before:

I keep most vehicles in storage boxes in my bed compartment. Sometimes I feel a little bit like Smaug sitting on his treasure...
The collection is protected from light, but not from dust. And I haven’t bought boxes big enough to hold large vehicles like the BAT-AT or the BMF. I know IKEA have boxes that big.

So after work I stepped by my local hardware store and got some boxes and foil. The foil was actually much cheaper than I thought. It was 67 cents for 50 meters. And by now I found an even cheaper offer: 80 meters for 89 cents! And the biggest surprise: they’re of good quality and not sticky!

I labeled vehicles that have several parts so I don’t mix them up or swap them.

I think this looks much better:

You can wrap pretty much everything in foil. But beware - it might bite.

Air bubble foil and plastic bags are also an alternative for some vehicles. I paid $18 for 100 bags in this size (35x28 cm).

The reason why I wrapped my vehicles in foil is because I won’t have time to display them  for the next four years anyway. So to protect them from scratches and dust, I think this was worth the effort.

This might be also an option for you when you move. You don’t want to loose anything. A friend of mine lost quite a few accessories of his beloved figures & statues of Kotobukiya and Sideshow. You don’t want to have that happen to you, too.

If you’re a fan of vehicles make sure to check out the awesome custom projects of forum member RC-1136 by following this link:

IG-227 Hailfire Droid:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10653.msg213654#msg213654

LAAT/i Republic Gunship “Clanker Killer”:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10637.0

Best regards live from se German Autobahn!

Have a good weekend everyone & always stay safe!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:56:50 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »
Nice, I have got to go share this before I run out of internet time.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 05:48:14 PM »
Your vehicle collection looks like the junkyards of Raxus Prime. Incredible! I'm amazed you have multiple AT-TE's.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 06:46:28 AM »
Wow, that is a big collection of ships and vehicles. Good idea to wrap them in that plastic film. I too have my Action Fleet ships in bins, and each ship is in a small bag on its own, also to protect them.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
Tamer: Thanks for the attention as always, Tamer!

RC-1136: Thanks man! Yeah, there're quite a few walkers in my collection by now...and to be honest my room looked exactly like Raxus Prime most of the time. You can ask my girlfriend! That's one reason why she quit...if you told her about Raxus Prime, she'd definitely agree with you!
Are you currently looking for an AT-TE?

jkno: Thanks for your comment, mate! That sounds very good! I'd love to see pictures of your Action Fleet and how you store it!

And in case you wondered why I haven't posted any of my custom projects for the last 4 weeks or so, well I had to move and try to set up everything, again.
I fianally want to label ALL my figures and count them eventually.
So my desk looks like this at the moment:

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
I have a friend in a neighboring county that just does a great job inventorying and databasing his collection. I don't even know half of what I have in my collection. I have got to do better with that. Great job on starting that yourself.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 01:30:19 AM »
It's good to have an inventory and an archive of the collectibles you own. I started inventorying my collection sometime ago, I used a Word sheet, not Excel, but still need to update it with the new stuff.

As for my Action Fleet ships, I use some black plastic bins, similar to these:

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2019, 04:43:38 AM »
I have to admit those black boxes are probably the best way to store the collection! I've also thought of replacing my clear/translucent boxes with solid/opaque ones.
Although I store them in the darkness of my closet, I'm still worried about the light the stuff catches while moving.
I'll keep my eyes open and might replace them all. Thank you very much for the thought!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 01:23:50 PM »
Just some random after work pics of my latest setup:

To me the best thing about the Sequel Trilogy is that it added to my collection of Sith Lords of The Old Republic:

Also the rubber of the cloak of "Knight of Ren" is really soft compared to previous Star Wars figures. The soft rubber cloak strongly reminds me of NECA/ToyBiz' Lord of the Rings figures!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 04:02:44 AM »
You have some nice Sith Lords. Man I miss the LOTR Figures. Me and my daughter did a movie marathon just this past weekend.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 06:14:15 AM »
Thank you, Tamer! Due to the lack of Mandalorian related TVC stuff, I kept my eyes open for a 6 inch version of the Mando himself. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I found a Comic Shop that still had three of them left after weeks of their Arrival here in Germany. Couldn't pass on that one for 38€. Saw the prices for this carbonized version skyrocketing on eBay lately...

I'll try to find a second one loose, though. How's the General interest of you guys? Do you want to see me share my entire 6 inch collection on here?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 11:05:22 AM »
I like seeing the six inch stuff.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »
Tamer: Thank you, Tamer! I reorganized my cabinet and hope you like seeing some 3 3/4" stuff as well :)

In the current situation delays are inevitable. So new stuff will hit shelves later, but I also think we can all be relaxed and enjoy all the good stuff we already own. Therefore I went back and took out my favorite figures until the cabinet was full.
The pictures also give hints at future projects that will hit the Yards sooner than later - thanks to Corona ;) Cheers!

That TPM Deluxe Darth Maul was actually my very first Star Wars figure, which my parents gave to me in 1999. I was a happy 6-year-old boy back then. But it was the ROTS line that lit the Fever in 2005...I'm still on fire with Clone Troopers and the packaging design of Vader's mask gives some good nostalgia. Can't believe it's been 15 years already!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:39:02 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 04:58:29 AM »
So nice to see your stuff. I too got bitten with ROTS. I have a few kids bring me in a few ROTS Action Figures as gifts as they knew I liked Star Wars and then I went all out. Nice to see some of them in your collection. Man, talk about going nuts over paint variants. I was crazy.