Author Topic: Imperial AT-ST Walker with Driver - 3 3/4" TBS Phase III (Walmart Exclusive)  (Read 21261 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
At the beginning of the year a rumor was confirmed that the AT-ST Walker would be re-released in the 3 3/4" The Black Series. I first saw this rumor to be true on Jedi Temple Archives on January 2, 2017:

Read about the first sight at retail and the previous rumor by following the link below: 
http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19437

Surprisingly this AT-ST Walker showed up at the beginning of the year in some Walmart stores.
Hasbro has yet to confirm this exclusive, which will probably happen on New York Toy Fair in February 2017.

And since this vehicle is still relatively new I think it makes sense to review and compare it to previous releases!

I am very lucky! As you know I live in Germany. So I am actually not supposed to own this vehicle.
However on Saturday my dad returned from Florida. Before he went there I asked him if he could go to Walmart and take a picture of their Star Wars Hasbro aisle(s). I wanted to see what was availble in FL right now. Unfortunately he did not send me a picture.
Instead he brought me the TBS AT-ST Walker, which I review for you, now:

Imperial AT-ST Walker and Imperial AT-ST Driver
STAR WARS THE BLACK SERIES

Manufacturer: Hasbro, Inc.
Series: The Black Series [Phase III] (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Year: 2017
Retail: $59.68
Source: Return of the Jedi
Date Stamp: 2009
Assortment Number: 63351
UPC Number: 6 30509 53649 8

Weapons and Accessories:
AT-ST Driver
Helmet
BlasTech E-11 Blaster
Functioning Secondary Chin Canon Launcher with 2 Missles

Features:
Opening Hatch
Opening Roof
Opening Viewport Shields
Rotating Primary Chin Cannon
Interchangeable Secondary Chin Cannon
2 Missiles
2 Foot Supports

As already mentioned this is the first vehicle to be released in the 3 3/4" THE BLACK SERIES PHASE III line and the second vehicle of 3 3/4" THE BLACK SERIES.

There has been another AT-ST in The Black Series already:
This mulitipack was exclusive to Toys "R" Us and included a repack of Kmart's exclusive AT-ST:

I do not own this picture. All rights reserved.
Source: Toys "R" Us
http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-18369313_alternate1_dt.jpg

Again, it is the Imperial AT-ST Walker.
This time around it is more similar to this vehicle's debut in 2009:

The AT-ST (All Terrain Scout Transport)

See a full review on the first AT-ST that was also a Walmart Exclusive by following the link below:

http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehATST.asp

Packacking:

Here you get a closer look at the packaging and its design. I am sorry it's a little damaged. It got some dents, scratches and bends on the flight from Florida back to Germany...

I really like the black/red design of the Black Series Phase III Packaging! Hasbro put a lot of effort into the design. There are features and drafts of the AT-ST on the right side of the box while the left side is held in red with the Imperial emblem. Hasbro chose to write all these features in basic. I haven't checked if the words make sense, yet. But I will translate them later.

On front they put an image of the AT-ST Driver on front of the AT-ST, which looks just great! On the back of the packaging you can see 6 images showing the details and features of the vehicle.
Interesting is the fact that Hasbro printed the AT-ST Driver of the AT-ST's first release on the packaging. The Driver of the TLC AT-ST was a repaint of the AT-ST, that was included in the Battle of Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack from 2007.
However this TBS AT-ST includes a repack of the TVC AT-ST Driver, instead!
Moreover there is no "Walmart Exclusive" Sticker this time on the packaging. This leads me to another mysterious fact about the mold and the date stamp, which I will explain below.

Inside the box:

When I first saw an image of this vehicle I assumed that this AT-ST depicts the version that appears in Rogoe One: A Star Wars Story.
The movie was released in December 2016 and it made sense to me to release a repaint of the AT-ST as seen on Jedha in Rogue One.
Now that I got this vehicle in hand I have to contradict my assumption: The background of the packaging clearly shows the part of a forest on Endor. This is just another hint that this AT-ST is almost a repack/re-issue of Walmarts first exclusive AT-ST from 2009.

Out of Packaging:

Inside the packaging the AT-ST's right leg is not connected to the body. So you have to assemble (just) one piece to complete it. The vehicle is secured with the usual straps and bands. I recognized that Hasbro used different rubber bands for this vehicle. They are not as transluscent and elastic as the ones they used before.

Closer look at the paint operations:

Let's take a closer look at the paint operations and details of the AT-ST! When you compare it to the first release from 2009 you will recognise that both versions are alomost silimar!

Fixed leg joints:

right:

left:

Hasbro has indeed fixed the fragile leg joints of their previous Endor version which was a Kmart exclusive (see images below). So the AT-ST does stand up (quite) well. But if you play with the AT-ST and rotate the joints a lot I guarantee you the material will suffer and the joints will wear out. Every material wears out sooner or later depending on how and how much you use it. But since Hasbro always emphasizes that their products are TOYS in the first place, it should not be as fragile as the joints of the AT-ST are...what do you think?

Inside the cockpit:

As you can see Hasbro also painted the seats and applied the stickers well like they did with their previous releases of the AT-ST.

Accessories:

As mentioned above the AT-ST Driver that is included with this AT-ST differs from the figure printed on the packaging! With this AT-ST you get a repack of the TVC AT-ST Driver. This AT-ST Driver was included in the Endor AT-ST Crew 2-Pack, which was exclusive to Kmart in 2012.

Read and see a full review on this 2-Pack by following the link to rebelscum.com or to JediBusiness.com below:

http://www.rebelscum.com/Endor_AT-ST_Crew_The_Vintage_Collection_TVC_Kmart.asp

http://jedibusiness.com/figureDetails.aspx?id=1300

A repack of Kmarts exclusive AT-ST Crew with 14 points of articulation:

So far this secondary Missle Launcher was included in every re-release of the new AT-ST from 2009.
I think it's a very nice play feature and a good accessory. The range of the launcher is about 1 meter/yard when you fire the missles.

Previous Releases:

Source: Amazon.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Star-Wars/Hasbro-ATSTL-Legacy-Collection-ST-Exclusive-Driver/B002W7VVWA

Source: terapeak.com
http://www.terapeak.com/worth/star-wars-attack-on-hoth-defense-of-hoth-target-s-exclusive-rare-mib/191823270884/

Source: new.toyark.com
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2012/05/Star-Wars-Kmart-Exclusive-AT-ST-01_1337395690.jpg

Source: Toys "R" Us
http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-18369313_alternate1_dt.jpg

Comparsion of paint operations:

- Left: TLC AT-ST (All Terrain Scout Transport)
- Right: TBS (Phase III) Imperial AT-ST

Date Stamps:

- First: TLC AT-ST (All Terrain Scout Transport)
- Second: TBS (Phase III) Imperial AT-ST

Comparsion to all different and previously released versions:

- Left: TLC AT-ST (All Terrain Scout Transport) - First Release
- Middle: SOTDS AT-ST Walker - Repaint (Hoth)
- Right: TVC/TBS AT-ST - Repaint (Endor)

- Left: SOTDS AT-ST Walker - Repaint (Hoth)
- Middle: TBS (Phase III) Imperial AT-ST - Repack?!
- Right: TVC/TBS AT-ST - Repaint (Endor)

List of all releases of 2009's AT-ST:

2009: TLC AT-ST (All Terrain Scout Transport) - First Release - Walmart Exclusive
2010: SOTDS AT-ST Walker - Repaint (Hoth) - TARGET Exclusive
2012: TVC AT-ST - Repaint (Endor) - Kmart Exclusive
2014: TBS AT-ST - Repaint (Endor) - Battle on Endor Battle Pack - Toys "R" Us Exclusive
2017: TBS (Phase III) - Imperial AT-ST - Slight Repaint of the TLC version - Walmart Exclusive

Conclusion:

Personal Interest: Since I own all 3 different releases of this AT-ST I wanted to have this re-release as well in order to complete this series. As mentioned above I intitially assumed this version would depict the AT-ST seen on Jedha in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. But now the inside of the packaging told me different.

Exclusiveness: I don't know if Walmart came up to Hasbro and claimed for another exclusive. It seems very likely that they indeed asked Hasbro for an exclusive vehicle for their already exclusive SA TBS 3 3/4" Action Figure line. And it seems they figured their initial exclusive AT-ST of 2009 was best for that purpose.
Or Hasbro came up to Walmart and offered a re-issue of their exclusive to them. I don't know for sure, but the first theory makes more sense to me. Some years ago I read an interview with Hasbro in which they gave a hint that retailers like Walmart, TARGET or Toys "R" Us contact Hasbro (maybe on ToyFair)  and ask them for exclusives. Then, Hasbro comes up with some suggestions which they can choose.

Mold & Detail: The mold of this vehicle has a date stamp from 2009. I did not buy the old version of the AT-ST because I don't think it looks accurate. Don't get me wrong - it's a classic toy nevertheless! I just didn't buy it. So when Hasbro announced and presented the AT-ST in 2008, I was VERY happy to finally see a new mold of this classic and iconic vehicle!
Hasbro put much effort on the mold! All the details and paint operations are just great! Although they did not paint every detail they included in the mold like the guns or all control panels of the cockpit. So if you're a customer and get this vehicle cheap this might be woth to become your next repaint project!

Retail Price: The retail for this AT-ST is $49,67 (plus sales tax) as far as I know. If you compare this price to the first release of 2009 you'll see it's pretty close. Back in 2009 the AT-ST sold for $43.96 at retail (Walmart). It was a new mold an easily sold for that price. Now, almost 8 years later we see (almost) the same vehicle with a more articulated figure for about $6 more.
But if you compare these prices to the other (two) re-releases of 2010 and 2012 you'll see a significant difference: In 2010 you got not even a great repaint of the AT-ST, but also 3 action figures and a canon for just $39.99 at TARGET!!
Two years later Kmart came up with another repaint of the AT-ST in Vintage packaging which retailed for $34.99.

Recommendation: So is it woth it? That remains your decision.
I still love this vehicle! The mold is superb and it's pretty much in scale 1/18. Hasbro seems to have fixed the issue with the instable leg joints. If you don't have any version of 2009's AT-ST (All Terrain Scout Transport) I highly recommend to you to add one to your collection.
In my opinion Hasbro cannot re-release enough versions and units of this awesome vehicle!
If you're a completist you have to get this anyway...maybe even twice! Have fun!

So if you missed the first release of 2009's AT-ST here is your second chance to finally get it!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:28:52 AM by legion078 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
I did pick one up. From what I hear they have picked one of the leg joints that was prone to break. I sure hope that is true. At $60 the price point is higher than I remember buying the legacy one that included one more driver I think.

Still, this is about the only larger size 3.75" vehicle offering it seems Hasbro has released the last few years. I also find it interesting that they kept the lid on this one. I don't know of any fan site that caught wind of it. I keep meaning to ask our own contacts about the lack of pr on this one.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
@ Tamer: Thank you Shawn. I am very glad that you got one, too! Now, I am finally done with this review. I was surprised that you immediately saw the first entry and commented it while it was on edit. Maybe it qualifies for the frontpage? I actually read the conditions for that after I finished the review. Are you also going to review your AT-ST?

I am not sure if the price varies from state to state. My father paid $52.65 for it ($49.67 + tax).
There is one third party seller on Walmart.com (like on Amazon) who offers the AT-ST for $109.99 right now...I paid that price for the big SOTDS AT-AT in 2010 at meijer...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:17:31 AM by legion078 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
@ Tamer:  Are you also going to review your AT-ST?

Doesn't look like I need to after that thorough review. I love all the reference material and links you used, especially that comparison images below. Hey, would you do me a favor and include in your review a picture of the rotating leg joint to see if they beefed it up? I keep hearing they did, but haven't opened mine and can't confirm it.

I do plan not only putting this on the front page as a news item, but we also have a review section (way outdated now) that I need to update. You keep reviewing and I will keep adding em.

Thanks for doing this.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
New button created for the ISY Review Section even if my photoshop was crashing every other second. Felt good to add to that.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
 I was planning on picking this up either way ! I missed out on the vintage collection  and refuse to pay scalper prices ! What a great review and thanks for doing this !

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
@ Tamer:  Are you also going to review your AT-ST?

Doesn't look like I need to after that thorough review. I love all the reference material and links you used, especially that comparison images below. Hey, would you do me a favor and include in your review a picture of the rotating leg joint to see if they beefed it up? I keep hearing they did, but haven't opened mine and can't confirm it.

I do plan not only putting this on the front page as a news item, but we also have a review section (way outdated now) that I need to update. You keep reviewing and I will keep adding em.

Thanks for doing this.

Thanks a lot Shawn! I took some pictures of the joints on both sides and added them to the review. Here is what I wrote:

Fixed leg joints:

right:

left:

Hasbro have indeed fixed the fragile leg joints of their previous Endor version which was a Kmart exclusive (see images below). So the AT-ST does stand up (quite) well. But if you play with the AT-ST and rotate the joints a lot I guarantee you the material will suffer and the joints will wear out. Every material wears out sooner or later depending on how and how much you use it. But since Hasbro always emphasizes that their products are TOYS in the first place, it should not be as fragile as the joints of the AT-ST are...what do you think?

If you got one of these Scout Walkers with broken joints, Clonehead shows you how to fix them here:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7560.msg129549#msg129549
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:56:42 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
I was planning on picking this up either way ! I missed out on the vintage collection  and refuse to pay scalper prices ! What a great review and thanks for doing this !

Thanks mr.Jedi1977! I like to hear that! I agree with you with the scalper prices! The time since 2008 has been crazy and Hasbro must react to the demand of their customers...right now they do not which is why I stop collecting now. Ironically their sales have reached a new record in 2016. Seems the hype about TFA unleashed enough purchasing power (of children and their parents) to buy all this...alternative products. I mean 5 POA are great if you are a fan of it. Some feel like in the good old days of the original Kenner Vintage era, but I started collecting in 2005 and stick to the super articulated series.

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Excellent. Great proof those fragile leg joints are a little better now. Thanks Legion078!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
wow
That is a very detailed review. Thank you for all the information about this great vehicle.
My favorite version is the Hoth repaint.
Excellent work.

-Christoph

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Excellent. Great proof those fragile leg joints are a little better now. Thanks Legion078!

Thanks Shawn. I added 3 more pics that hopefully show what you initially wanted to see ;-)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
wow
That is a very detailed review. Thank you for all the information about this great vehicle.
My favorite version is the Hoth repaint.
Excellent work.

-Christoph

Thank you Christoph! You're very welcome! I am glad you like it!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
I was asked to post pictures of my entire AT-ST collection, so here they are:

I need to restore one of the TVC Scout Walkers because it's missing both side-cannons and the right "toe". I'll share pictures of that on my "Restoring vehicles thread".

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10178.0

I also found out that there's no international packaging for the TBS P.3 AT-ST Walker. The vehicle itself is made for the European market though. So it popped out of nowhere exclusively at Walmart in January 2017, but has an authorization to be sold in Europe - coincidence?
This wasn't the only Walmart exclusive that was found in Europe later on...

I also made a standing test with all of them while listiening to Eminem. The TBS version of the Endor Multipack tends to collapse, but the rest stands stable! -  Good news here.

Oh, and if you're still looking for the TBS AT-ST Walker, you can currently find it online for under $25!

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Walker-Driver-Action-Figures/dp/B01MR4BX8J/ref=as_sl_pc_as_ss_li_til?tag=imperiashipya-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=aff825ebf63d2b7b2240b0876d40e77c&creativeASIN=B01MR4BX8J

- Philipp
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:30:08 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
That is a nice collection of AT-ST's!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
And the story continues! With the launch of The Mandalorian TV series Hasbro & LEGO developed a variant of the AT-ST as it will be seen in the show.

I really like the idea of Imperial weaponary falling into hands of pirates and rebels as the Empire falls after the Emperor's death. (Yes, he's dead for me, Disney!! Vader sacrificed himself for that and to safe his son's life!).

And after Todd asked all those exciting questions for us on NYCC 2019, I'm quite optimistic, wel'll also see the highly sought after Hoth AT-ST from the 2010 SOTDS Multipack being repacked in The Vintage Collection next year!

Forum member and YouTube moderator shared an excellent review on this latest version of the Scout Walker even prior its official release date!

Watch the first published video review in the world here:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10563.msg214363#msg214363