Author Topic: Darth More's Customs: Ugnaught Smith  (Read 49103 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: Darth More's Customs: Darth Sion - Knights of the Old Republic II
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »
Splendid! Sion looks outstanding, your patience and care paid off. Thank you for the detailed walkthrough, this is a great resource for other customizers. Your passion for the hobby and dedication to the community is an inspiration. :)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2020, 03:05:52 AM »
RC-1136: Thank you so much. I'm really happy to read your comment! I'm quite happy how the sculpting turned out. I might add a little here and there on the paintwork though. The black on the skirt turned out too shiny. I'll repaint it with another layer of mat black. Maybe I didn't wait long enough (8 hours instead of 12) to let the grey polyurethane primer cure.

Tamer: Thank you, Tamer. I really appreciate your faith in me. Sometimes I get good results by just doing things and trying new stuff. I mean I always prepare my projects in advance by watching tutorials and talk to people about their experience with different materials.
I'm quite satisfied with the texture of his body. But it's interesting that a friend of mine and you both thought that he's not quite done yet. I think my first Sion looks better on the pictures this time. I might add another wash and correct his eye.

Yeah, the editing of the pictures, adding them to imgur and writing the text is quite some work. But I think the effort is worth the time when other (new) customizers can profit from my descriptions.

Mos-Eisley-Customz: Thank you! Yeah, I know that some people only use Green Stuff and milliput to fix stuff. But both also work well for sculpting. I'm happy how it turned out, but it takes time and patience. I needed 9 hours to finish my first Darth Sion. At least two more will follow.

Starchaser: Thanks for the flowers, buddy! I do hope that other customizers can profit from my descriptions. Then, it would be worth the effort. For me it already paid off by reading your comments! Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to inspire.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:37 AM »
Your custom figures always kick ass. But I also love how you tell the story. I enjoy all the detail when you walk us through the steps, and even link other people's customs of the same character.
Nice work.
Thanks.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »
Don: Thank you so much, Don! I hope all the images don't take forever to load when you enter the thread. Yes, I took the time and always try to include as much info as necessary.

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
Damn, that's a hellluva custom.  Super creepy.  Amazing job with the sculpting, so cool to see the stages.  Terrific!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2020, 09:55:01 AM »
wow
Darth Sion is another masterpiece.
You have reached the next level of custom making. Your sculpting skills are phenomenal my friend.
Thank you for the detailed step by step tutorial.

Excellent work as always.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »
You did an excellent job here. Sorry for the late reply. I saw it, meant to comment, but sometimes I'm in a rush. Anyways, the paintwork really makes the sculpting pop. 

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »
Lanze Quazar: Thank you so much for the kind words! Yeah, I thought Halloween is just a month away so why not tackle this one? Darth Sion was on my list since the beginning of my customizing back in 2007. That was the time when I played KotOR II and TAC Darth Revan & Malak were released...
By now I doubt that Hasbro will ever make Sion in TVC. Even a Black Series release is unlikely even though they're on fire with the Gaming Greats sub-line at the moment. So I'm glad to finally have done him and am happily surprised with how the sculpting turned out. Again, I might do some corrections on the paint and weathering here and there.
The second version is in the making, too!

FialaFernbrugg: It was about time to see you return! Thanks so much for your comment! Yes, I'm glad to finally have re-sculpted a figure in 1/18 scale. So far I've only sculpted teeth in 1/1 scale.  ;D
I hope you find some time for customs as well in the near future!

JDeck: Thank you for your feedback, JD! No problem, I haven't gotten to join the discussion on PulseCon neither, yet. It's been a crazy week with lot of driving across the country. So reading your lines really means a lot to me! I'm really happy with Vallejo's thin but effective primer for this particular project!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2020, 03:08:32 AM »
I need your help, please & ask for your opinion...

I started working on my second version of Darth Sion. This one shall be closer to the reference material. So I took two Indiana Jones figures for a kit-bash. Now, the second version is 0.5 cm (.2 inch) taller than the first one. I couldn't find any reference about the size of Darth Sion online.

Version 1: size in 1/18 scale: 9.7 cm = 3.8 inch - size in 1/1 scale: 174.6 cm = 68.7 inch
Version 2: size in 1/18 scale: 10.25 cm = 4.04 inch - size in 1/1 scale: 184.5 cm = 72.64 inch

I'm 185 cm / 72.83 inch tall. I'd rather say version 1 might be too small then. I could well see Darth Sion be at least as tall as I am if not taller compared to the gameplay. Well, version 2 wears boots which makes him taller already, but his legs might be a little too long. The legs would be about 4 inches longer than mine. What do you think?

I also started working on Atris and Darth Sion - two more characters of STAR WARS: Knights of the Old Republic II:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:18:01 AM by Darth More »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
I think your version 2 is on track. Your reference material has him wearing boots. So I would totally use the legs from the giant Thugee and the torso head from Mola Rahm, like you have it. Just my opinion.

PS - I found somewhere that said Sion was 1.98 meters tall - for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:19:23 PM by Starchaser »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
Yeah, I like that second version. Being a bit taller makes him more menacing anyhow.

Off to share your update on the front pages.

Offline CloneTroopr

• Commander
    • CloneTroopr's Customs FaceBook Page
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
Looking good!

Customs Thread: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7528.0
FaceBook Page: CloneTroopr's Customs

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »
I like 2 too! Great choice of figure!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »
Starchaser: I really appreciate your effort for me. And I feel bad at the same time  that my research wasn't good. I only checked wookieepedia and jedipedia (the German eqivalent). After another minute of research I found this info page including the size:
https://star-wars-canon-extended.fandom.com/wiki/Darth_Sion
In order to make this one accurately sized, I'll add some sculpting clay at the abdomen even though it will hinder the swivel-hip articulation. Also, thank you for the names of the Indy figures, which I didn't know either. I really like the parts, this might be the base for all my future versions of Darth Sion.

Tamer: So true with the height. I'm really eager to work on this one.

CloneTroopr: It always puts a smile on my face when I read a new comment of yours! Thanks for your feedback! I think I found some good parts to use and with the texture being there already, this one will be more scratched than sculpted.

LennyQuinn: Thank you so much! I'm really thankful that these Indiana Jones figures are still available that cheap loose on ebay. I got the first set for custom fodder years ago. Not knowing their true potential until I took a close look at them and got a second set immediately.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
You Scion V1 looks great! Excited for V2, Atris, and Traya. Many fond memories playing the KOTOR games... Did you ever make the super 1-hit saber in Kotor II? haha