Author Topic: Darth More's Customs: Ugnaught Smith  (Read 48767 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: legion078's custom figures: Clone Commander Deviss Mod - 12/20/2016
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
@ Tamer: Thank you Shawn! Yes, I agree with you ToyBiz did a fantastic job on their Lord of the Rings 6" series! I hope Hasbro will catch up and improve their TBS6 line, too! I mean those LotR figures were developed and produced over 16 years ago! And I got good news for you! If you want to collect them you will get most of them VERY cheap on eBay.com!

@Foxtrot Delta: Thank you Foxtrot! I am happy you like it! I am a big fan of Clone Troopers and there are endless variations and versions in all kinds of colors and with different equipment...can't wait to show you guys more!

This is what I work with: Colors and Brushes

Colors:

So before I go into the real customizing/painting I would like to show you what I work with, first.

For painting figures and vehicles I mostly use acrylic colors by Citadel produced by Games Workshop or colors by Revell, humbrol, Army Painter and some more.

Brushes:

I work with all kinds of brushes ranging from brushes from a dollar store to high quality hair brushes depending on what I need them for...

...and how I clean them...

Brushes are useless once their hairs are full of dried color. Acetone is a nice solvent of all kinds of paints. I bought this bottle in a drug store for about $5. You can get acetone even cheaper in a hardware store.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:16:32 AM by legion078 »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: legion078's custom figures: This is what I work with... - 01/21/2017
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »
B-2 Super Battle Droid - Version #1
(with minor paint application)

While I was working on the NR-N99 Tank Droid with my new favorite metal color I also added some minor paint apps to a TLC SL-10 Super Battle Droid!

You can follow the progress on the NR-N99 here:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10165.0

Only one color is needed for this little modification: Humbrol "Polished Steel" No. 27003

The mold and the paint job of the TLC SL-10 Super Battle Droid are great! Unfortunately Hasbro did not paint the torso, though. This leads me to the assumption that the rest of the body parts were painted prior assembly in the factory.
See a full review on rebelscum.com by following the link:

http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCSL10SBD.asp

Some versions were found compleely "weathered", but some units are missing some paint...like this one here:

On first sight the difference might be hard to see, but I painted some metal color on the visor, the torso, the twin-blaster and the joints.

Left: Orgiginal Hasbro SW Super Battle Droid; Right: Modded Version

I might add some lighter metal tone scratches to the blaster to highlight the details more.

Finished Super Battle Droid with painted visor, torso, twin-blaster and joints:

I found some B2 units which were pretty well done by Hasbro. It's significant that all of these Super Battle Droids were included in packs with a higher price point. There are either from Comic Packs or a Geonosis Arena Conflict 2-Pack. These sets were exclusives and sold for over $12 each. This higher price (or higher quantitiy of figures per purchase) seems to make an important difference . Hasbro put much detail on these here:

The ROTS Super Battle Droid has a painted torso and came with two accessories, but less articulation...

Hope you like this mod. Let me know in the comments below!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:44:43 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 07:07:08 AM »
I like all the references in here.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
legion078 - Nice job on these customs. I really think that your Revan articulation is excellent and I agree with you about the unfortunate situation of Hasbro not supplying demand for figures with such high aftermarket prices.
For the record - Witchking totally obliterates Kylo and Vader decapitates the troll:)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
legion078 - Nice job on these customs. I really think that your Revan articulation is excellent and I agree with you about the unfortunate situation of Hasbro not supplying demand for figures with such high aftermarket prices.
For the record - Witchking totally obliterates Kylo and Vader decapitates the troll:)

Thanks a lot for your comment! I had a great time reading your record about the outcome of the epic fight between the 6" figures! I agree! I am not a fan of the character Kylo Ren nor of Adam Driver in the role of the son of Han and Leia...I just bought the figure to use it as Sith Warrior of The Old Republic...so the Emperor will fight Sauron next... ;)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: legion078's custom figures: Repaint of BB-8 - 02/28/2017
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »
BB-8 (Repaint)

"BB-8, sometimes spelled Beebee-Ate, was a BB unit astromech droid who operated approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor. It had a dome head, similar to that of R2 series astromech droids, with the bulk of its body made up of a ball on which the droid's head rolled. BB-8 was mostly white, with some silver and orange on its body, as well as a black photoreceptor. The droid belonged to Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, whom he accompanied during his flights on his T-70 X-wing fighter."
Source: Wookiepedia

Read the full article by following this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BB-8

Over the past weekend I finished the repaint of BB-8. I have watched J.J.'s masterpiece* (read my comment below) only 5 times so far and please correct me if I am wrong, but I remember BB-8 had a different, more intense shade of orange. And as you can see in the image below the entire toy industry doesn't seem to be sure which orange to use for BB-8:

I do not own this image. All rights reserved to James Bruton and YouTube.
Source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zUXDinEY1LA/maxresdefault.jpg

Check out his great video reviews on YouTube by following the link below:

Make sure to like, comment and subscribe to his channel if you like his videos!

First, I wasn't sure which of the two colors to use, but then I chose Citadel's Layer "Troll Slayer Orange".

I recall that Jakks Pacific used a similar orange for their BB-8...

This is what I used to paint BB-8:

- thin brush
- cotton buds (which I dipped into desinfectant after I'd painted over edges to remove the color again)
- needle (saved my life to remove color and clean very thin edges)
- scalpel (used as the needle and to remove the surplus plastic at the antenna)
- paper tissue (in case you cut yourself ;) )

And here's the result:

What do you think?

I might brush it with a shade to highlight all of BB's details and make him (or her?) look more screen accurate. Hasbro did a decent paint-job and weathering on their 6" version:

* J.J.'s masterpiece:

As said before I have only watched "The Force Awakens" five times so far. I went to the theater  three times. After I had seen it for the first time with my brother we left the cinema with mixed feelings. I thought: "Is it possible that I've seen this before...somwhere?!"
So I watched it again with firends to give it a try. After seeing it for two more times I wasn't that disappointent by it anymore...so I bought it on DVD...but now I don't need to watch it, again...it has some good parts. But it is obvious that there are major similarities to "A New Hope".
My only expectation was that Episode VII would begin in space. Spoiler alert!! That expectation was delivered.
I know J.J. had to meet high expectations...expectations of fans he actually couldn't satisfy. He had to continue George Lucas' legacy. Going back in time is probably an easier job to do...
But this should not become a review on TFA.

Now, my question is: Should this be the continuation of Return of the Jedi?! Seriously Disney?
I mean no offense to Adam Driver, but HE is supposed to be the son of Leia & Han? When he took off his helmet I thought: Please, put it back on!"
If you hate Jar Jar Binks...you got to LOVE Kylo Ren! Thanks J.J. - Thanks Disney!
Copy & Paste...with yet another even bigger Death St...Starkiller Base - AWESOME!

In fact BB-8 is my favorite of all new characters in The Force Awakens.

- Cheers!

By the way Rogue One was great! And I won't watch Episode VIII in the theater since I already waisted so much money on TFA...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:51:34 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 03:30:07 AM »
I like the color and see it is applied well. Off to share the latest.

Offline Blizzard Force

• Lieutenant
  • The shield will be down in moments.
    • Blizzard Force Customs
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
Really nice work! I'd definitely use a shade as the next step, though - brings out the details and makes him look a bit more dirty... :)
BLIZZARD FORCE CUSTOMS on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blizzardforcecustoms/

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
@ Tamer: Thank you Shawn! I am glad you like the color, too! It's not screen accurate I know, but I still like it much more than the orange Hasbro used on their 3 3/4" version. The 6" one is another story (with yet another orange...).
So the right shade of orange to make it screen accurate is probably somewhere between these two...But I have to admit that the 6" BB-8 is probably painted in the best of all three different colors to match BB-8's color in the movie...thanks for sharing!

@ Blizzard Force: Thank you, Sebastian! It's great to know you like it because I really look up to you and your work! And I definitely agree with you - I will weather BB...I actually did already as of this post.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:46:43 PM by legion078 »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »
So tonight I realized what Blizzard Force had recommended to me: I put some weathering on BB-8 using a shade by Citadel and pigments from Revell.

And here is what I used and how I used it:

I got this Revell Weathering Set from Christoph best known as FialaFernbrugg.

Check out his amazing customs and model kits by following this link:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1624.0

He gave this set to me and tonight I used it for the very first time to weather BB-8.

With this set you get 6 different pigments for pretty much everything you want to put texture and weathering on and very cool instructions. It includes:

Mud Green, Dark Brown, Rust Red, Sand Yellow, Deep Black and Snow White

For BB-8 I chose three of the six pigments: Deep Black, Dark Brown and Sand Yellow:

To apply the shade and the pigments I used a thick hair bruch, a cotton bud and a piece of paper tissue:

I started by using the Shade "Nuln Oil" from Citadel. This shade is a nice and very thin one and it gives your figure/miniature an oily kind of look.
I used this shade for the first repaint of my NR-N99 Tank Droid. You can find it by following this link:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10165.0

Soon I found that pigments look much better on BB-8 than the shade! I wanted to give BB the likeness of "The Force Awakens" after he had crossed the desert of Jakku.

I do not own this image. All rights reserved to Lucasfilm Ltd. and businessinsider.
Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-force-awakens-neil-degrasse-tyson-review-2015-12?IR=T

In order to achieve this sandy/desert effect the "Sand Yellow" pigments work best.

First, I applied the shade mixed with black pigments completely randomly on the figure. Then, I wiped off most of it, again with the cotton bud and/or the paper tissue. I used all three different pigments until I was content with the result.

Comparison: Weathered/Clean

So this was the first time a weathered a Star Wars figure by Hasbro. It's not perfect, but I had to start somewhere I guess...I like to start small before taking the next step and go bigger.
I will use the pigments a lot for future projects! One of them will be the new Star Destroyer Model Kit from Revell! So stay tuned for that!

Again, much thanks and thumps up go to FialaFernbrugg who made this project happen!

I do not own this image. All rights reserved to Lucasfilm Ltd. and Wookiepedia.
Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BB-8?file=BB-8thumbsup.png

Please, let me know whether you like it or not! And make sure to check out the entire page. I added more images before finishing this entry.

Looking back at it I might add some more black pigments...

My next Action Figure Custom will be my favorite Battle Droid, which is absolutely deadly...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:21:23 AM by legion078 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: legion078's custom figures: Repaint of BB-8 - 03/06/2017
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 03:33:32 AM »
Well that turned out nice. Let me go share it.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »
Thanks Tamer! Everyone seems to love BB-8 - even some airlines:

I do not own this image. All rights reserved to Disney Corp., ANA Co., Ltd. and Nerdist.com
Source: http://nerdist.com/tag/bb-8/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:17:08 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
Today I revisited BB-8 once again. This time I used Citadel's Shade "Nuln Oil" to highlight all the details especially the depth of BB's mold! I think I have to correct my previous statement:

This shade gives your custom the last touch after you already applied pigments to weather it.
Using this shade as very last step does make a difference...

This time I used a very thin brush to spread the shade within the surface's gaps.

So since BB-8 is now finally done he joined the 212th Attack Battalion as Tactical Support Droid!
I think he looks just perfect next to Clone Troopers of the 212th! The Force Awakens is just...not canon to me anyway - so I leave it like that!

Looks like I have to do some custom weapons, soon...

Have a great weekend guys!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:17:25 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 06:17:24 AM »
Looks good to me. Off to share.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »
Excellent work my friend.
The paint job and the weathering looks very good.
I'm glad that the weathering set is usefull.