Author Topic: Mandalorian Pirate Snub Fighter  (Read 2093 times)

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
Mandalorian Pirate Snub Fighter
« on: May 05, 2023, 04:49:03 AM »
The Mandalorian season three had some high points and low points, but it was still pretty fun Star Wars!  One thing that always jumps out to me are potential projects for custom builds, and the little Pirate Snub Fighter was the clear winner from my perspective.  I thought they were cool in the premiere, but when episode 5 rolled around and they’re involved in an all out dog fight, that clinched it!   

For reference material, there’s the episode, and one image that Wookieepedia cropped for their entry, as well as the forthcoming Lego set.  I used those sources, and brought my own embellishments to the final product.

It’s made from styrene, and the forward laser cannons are literally just bits of model sprue layered up to look like janky Star Wars guns.

The bottom isn’t as detailed as it should be I suppose, but my kids will play with this thing, and I figured the bottom will get the most punishment, so if there’s less to break off, there’s less to repair!  The guns are already delicate enough and I anticipate re-gluing them on a few times in the near future.

The cockpit I kept really plain, but wanted to go old school and trick it out with stickers.  I made them by finding stock images of instrument panels from various fighter planes and old timey control panels, as well as a targeting computer display from an X-Wing to add some specific in-universe flare.   

The images were sized in a word document, printed out in colour on regular paper, and I used clear tacky glue to affix them.  They were coated with layers of future floor polish and gloss mod podge to protect them from wear and tear.

We don’t have a VC Vane figure, so the Klatooinian Raider will have to do for now.

All in all, I’m pretty happy with how this turned out.  It would make a really great toy, but if Hasbro made one, it’d probably be $150!  And I’d probably buy it anyway.   

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:00:49 AM by glorbes »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Mandalorian Pirate Snub Fighter
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 12:39:12 PM »
Me scrolling down your new topic: Oh, wow...damn....daamn...geessh...DAAAAMMMMN!!!!
This is such an awesome project! I was waiting for the first one out there to build this ship! Love the design and I think the LEGO version might be a good reference, too.
Absolutely stellar execution here. I mean damn! This is so good.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 12:19:41 AM »
That is absolutely magnificent! Brilliant job. Your kids have no idea how fortunate they are to have a dad that builds them a ship from scratch.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 06:19:21 AM »
First off, great to see you back here!

Second, wow what a ship! Off to share.

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
    • Hole in the Ground Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 05:08:59 PM »
LOVE IT!!!  I also thought these little ships were cool and would probably pick one up. Didn't think there was a lot of good reference though.
Collector by choice. Customizer by necessity

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 02:55:53 AM »
In my opinion Hasbro is really missing the boat with a ship in this scale. They don't seem to want to release much in the form of vehicles for the 3.75" line and really this ship would do well in both scales. Just fantastic.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 06:56:33 PM »
This is incredible! Great job.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 05:16:11 PM »
Excellent work! Definitely love how this came out. You and I use the exact same technique for decals lol.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 12:27:18 PM »
WOW thats fantastic! It turned out really good, and the interior looks awesome with all the dials and buttons.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 02:25:33 PM »
This ship is awesome!