Author Topic: Rebel Cargo Carrier - scratch build - 25/12/2022  (Read 40891 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Repaint: Naboo Flash Speeder - TPM 1999 - Update: 03/10/2017
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
Repaint: Naboo Flash Speeder - TPM 1999

"I always thought the Flash speeders were only good for joyriding. Then the Trade Federation invaded and I found out why we keep these green genies around. I just closed my eyes, and the next thing I knew, I was ten kilometers away from Theed."
 - RSF lieutenant Gavyn Sykes

The Seraph-class urban landspeeder, also known as the Flash Speeder, was a small landspeeder used by the Naboo Royal Security Forces (RSF).

-- Source: Wookiepedia
Read more by following this Link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seraph-class_urban_landspeeder

So as I already mentioned in my other topic I started working on my next repaint. This time around it's the Naboo Flash Speeder, which was part of Hasbro's toy line for Episode I in 1999.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10178.0

Hasbro released this vehicle in a blue color:

I would like to repaint it in a green color. LEGO actually released it in green more than once!
So the result should look like this:

I do not own this image! All rights reserved. Source:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/54/FlashSpeeder_ep1ig.png/revision/latest?cb=20080407010639

I do not own this image! All rights reserved. Source:
http://s173.photobucket.com/user/STWRSChronicals/media/Vehicles/FlashSpeeder.jpg.html

So here is how it looks like at the moment. I have to spray paint all parts with a primer, next...
Let's see how this turns out. I might do a little modification on it like I did on the NR-N99.
Stay tuned for some updates, soon!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:38:42 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Repaint: Naboo Flash Speeder - TPM 1999
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 06:07:14 AM »
I just saw the fixes and posted on em. Ought to be a great project.

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »
The Flash Speeder is actually a really great toy
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:58:12 AM by bubbavader »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Philipp, you've created the perfect NR-N99. The paint job looks fantastic.
I can't wait to see what you'll make with the Flash Speeder.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
The Flash Speeder is actually a really great toy, with lots of seats and a fold out stand for someone to man the cannon as well.  Plus you can put a droid in the divot.  Did I mention it is shown often on Rebels.

I agree! Hasbro gave us a very nice toy with the Flash Speeder! All the features give it much play value! I can't wait to move on with this project and have two different versions on display.
And no, I didn't know that it appears in Rebels...I haven't watched a single volume of it...but I am glad it does! The Flash Speeder deserves more screen time :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:53:23 PM by legion078 »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »
Philipp, you've created the perfect NR-N99. The paint job looks fantastic.
I can't wait to see what you'll make with the Flash Speeder.

Christoph, it honors me to hear that from you! I will add some pictures of the final product when it's 100% done!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:17:05 PM »
The first step to repaint the Naboo Flash Speeder is to paint it with a primer. And like before on the Corporate Alliance Tank I used Citadel's Chaos Black to spray-paint the vehicle in black:

Citadel's "Purity Seal" is very useful to protect your models that are often touched or played with. Purity Seal is a clear varnish to protect your models/miniatures and makes all applied colors evenly mat. I included this varnish to show it to you. I won't use it on the Flash Speeder, though.

I arranged all parts in a cardboard box so that I could paint as many parts as possible with one application (spoiler alert for my upcoming projects). All areas that shouldn't be painted were covered with tape before.

When you spray-paint inside make sure to air the room you spray in sufficiently. It should also be dust free to avoid that particles are caught by the paint while it's still liquid.
I recommend to you to spray-paint outside, though.

May I introduce to you: The new and true "Black Series" Naboo Flash Speeder - the first one of many coming "Black Series" vehicles & figures...due to the lack of newness from the house of Hasbro...

The spray-painted parts with Citadel's "Chaos Black". The interior is not painted, yet. First, I removed the color that was applied to it before by the previous owner. I still have to decide whether to paint the interior just in grey or in grey with leather-color...just grey would be screenaccurate, but I like more than one color more...your thoughts?

For the rest of the vehicle's bodywork I chose Revell's No. 61. It's a nice and glossy green. For an oil-based color No. 61 is quite thin and can be applied very smooth - even with a (soft!) brush!

I used a very soft hair-brush to paint the bodywork. Make sure the parts you paint are dust-free! To test how the color looks when it's dry I applied some paint on a piece of paper, first.
If you own an Air-Brush system I would highly recommend to you to just air-brush the parts. It's just one color if you find the one that fits best. Air-Brushing saves you a lot of time and the result is probably better than (hair-) brushing them by hand...since I don't own an air-brush system, yet, I have to use a hair brush. I use more color to smoothen the surface. The soft brush helps to spread the color evenly without leaving grooves in the paint.

I started painting the green color on a small area to see how it turns out. The primer also contributes to the effect that the paint dries very smooth.

I plan on finishing this project this weekend.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:04:44 AM by legion078 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 03:08:47 AM »
Looks good to me. Off to share.

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »
Very choice.  I may need to do the same. 

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
@ Tamer: Thank you Shawn. It won't take much longer until you see the final product...

@ bubbavader:   Thanks mate, that'd be wonderful to see your version of the Flash Speeder!

By the way I added some new pictures of the NR-N99 Tank Droid! You should check them out:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10165.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:20:19 PM by legion078 »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
I really like your step by step tutorials.
It is a good idea to arrange the parts in a cardboard box.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »
@FialaFernbrugg: Thank you Christoph!! I just took more pictures of my latest progress as I said yesterday. I even uploaded some of them yesterday. Today photobucket seems to have some technical issues. Photobucket is such a crappy website and takes hours to load for all the garbage of advertisement...I am thinking of switching to imgur as Tamer suggeted before...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:50:59 AM by legion078 »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
Since my last update I also got new reference material: The Naboo Flash Speeder was also part of the Starships & Vehicles Collection from DeAgostini.

DeAgostini chose yet another color, which is also more green rather than blue. The original color scheme is probably turquoise. Along with the Flash Speeder I got many other models of this series.
And I'm going to make a review on them later on, too!

Since Wizards of the Coast is owned by Hasbro it's almost obvious that they choose the same colours for the miniature version.

LEGO on the other hand released their recent version of the Flash Speeder (75091) in green!
I like it!

Also in my last update I mentioned I was going to finish the Naboo Flash Speeder the coming weekend. Well, I did but wasn't able to take and upload pictures of my progress.
I am working on the last steps to finish this project and here's what I've done so far:

These are all colors I used:

For the Speeder's...
Bodywork: Revell: 61 - Emerald/Smaragd Green (shining), 34 - Ferrari-Red (shining)
Interior: Revell: Aqua Color - 378 Dark Grey (Shining), 82 - Dark-Earth (mat)
Details: Citadel: Necron Compound (Dry)
Damage feature: Revell Pigments - Deep Black

All parts repainted:

Interior:

For the interior I used two colors: Revell: Aqua Color - 378 Dark Grey (Shining), 82 - Dark-Earth (mat)
Before painting I taped all edges of the seats with tape. This makes it much easier to put the color where you want it to be.

I really like how the earth-shade turned out. It looks different once it's dry. As mentioned before the original model is all grey inside. Surprisingly DeAgostini chose to paint the interior of their Flash Speeder die cast model completely in light (leather) brown. I also like the leather look for the seats much more than just grey.

Details:

Red Stripes:

Here I also covered all areas that shouldn't be painted with tape. Make sure to press the tape onto the surface very hard  to avoid that paint runs underneath!
I used a very thin brush to apply Revell's No. 34 "Ferrari Red". This color was the only suitable red I got in my collection. I never used it before, but I think it fits the Speeder well!

Since the tape is applied you don't have to draw the red line carefully. Just make sure that your layer of color is thick enough and applied evenly.

When the paint was dry I removed the tape for the red line again. For some reason the tape was so strong that part of the green paint was removed again...this can usually only happen if the paint has not dried completely. I think I applied the tape too early...

...so I covered the red line with another strap of tape and corrected the damaged area with a new layer of Revell's No. 61 - "Smaragd Green".

Battle Damage:

Before I spray-painted the bodywork with Citadel's primer "Chaos Black" I covered the turbine with dough in order to protect the original paint of the turbine.

And this is how it looks after I removed the dough again:
I also dry-brushed some edges of the damaged bodywork with Citadel's "Necron Compound".

I then used Revell's pigment "Deep Black" to make this area look damaged as if the turbine had burnt before. Finally, I added a layer of Citadel's shade "Nuln Oil".

And this is how it looks compared to Hasbro's original:

Turbines:

Highlighting the back of the turbines was not much work. I dry-brushed the "grille" with Citadel's "Necron Compound".

After the dry-brush I added some of Revell's pigment "Deep Black" to make it look like Hasbro's paint on the front of the turbines. I covered the turbines' front before applying the primer (see post above) to maintain both areas.

And here's a before and after picture of both versions of the Flash Speeder.

Just wanted to give you a quick update. Unfortunately the Speeder is still not done completely.
Unfortunately I lost a part of the interior. Therefore I cannot put the Speeder back together before I find it. I'll update this post as soon as I find the missing part.

The canon will be updated as well. Since I only got one missle I'll have to make a resin part for my custom Speeder.

Best regards from Germany!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:09:04 PM by legion078 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 04:36:47 AM »
I love learning more about SW Vehicles. I also like seeing the great progress. Off to share the latest.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »
The speeder is looking great and I can't wait to see it completed.

Ron