Author Topic: Rebel Cargo Carrier - scratch build - 25/12/2022  (Read 40826 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Rebel Cargo Carrier - scratch build - 25/12/2022
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Welcome to my custom vehicle thread! On this topic I show you my custom vehicles which are mostly repaints of Star Wars vehicles by Hasbro with some adds and improvements.

List of Contents:

Page 1:

- RepaintMod: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid Version 1 - AOTC/TCW (Geonosis)

Page 2:

- Repaint: Naboo Flash Speeder (TPM) - Reply # 15

Page 3:

- Repaint:  Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry (LAAT/i) (AOTC/ROTS) - Reply # 34

- Weathering: Republic Attack Dropship (TCW) - Reply #41

- Weathering: V-19 Torrent (TCW) - Reply # 42

- Weathering: ISP/Republic Swamp Speeder (SOTDS) - Reply #43

- Weathering: IFT-X/Republic Fighter Tank (TCW) - Reply #44

Page 4:

- Paint Application: NR-N99 Tank Droid/Coorporate Alliance Tank (TCW) - weathered - Reply # 51

- Repaint/Mod: NR-N99 Tank Droid Version 2 - ROTS (Battle on Kashyyyk) - WIP --> Page 5, #64

-Update: Current Projects and Future Visions - Reply #59

Page 5:

- Repaint/Mod: NR-N99 Tank Droid Version 2 - ROTS (Battle on Kashyyyk) - Reply #64

Upcoming Projects for 2020:

- Repaint/Mod: TCW Republic Fighter Tank (Battle on Geonosis)
- Repaint/Mod: TCW Republic Fighter Tank (41st Elite Corps Version)
- Repaint/Mod: TCW Republic Fighter Tank (501st Legion Version
- Repaint/Mod: TCW Republic Fighter Tank (327th Legion Version)
- Repaint/Mod: SOTDS ISP Swamp Speeder (GAR)
- Repaint/Mod: Crab Droid (CIS)
- Repaint/Mod: AT-RT (GAR)
- Repaint: Naboo Flash Speeder - Version 2

Repaint/Mod: TCW Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

"The NR-N99 Persuader-class droid enforcer, colloquially known as the Corporate Alliance tank droid, CAD and the snail tank, was a tank droid constructed by the Corporate Alliance at first to silence its opposers and later to combat the Grand Army of the Republic."

"These are automated agents of evil!"
    - Plo Koon rallying clone troopers on Geonosis

Source: Wookiepedia.com
Follow the link below to find out more about this vehicle:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/NR-N99_Persuader-class_droid_enforcer/Legends

I do not own this picture.
Source: starwars.wikia.com: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/ec/NR-N99_Persuader-class.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20050819141203

Hasbro released the Corporate Alliance Tank in their Clone Wars Line in 2009. I had been hoping for a debut of this vehicle since I watched Episode III for the first time.
This version of the NR-N99 appeared in the Clone Wars Series in different colors, but I expected Hasbro to release a repaint of this tank in the following years.
I wondered why Hasbro didn't release this vehicle in their ROTS line right away...it would've been amazing along with the Wookie Flyer. However we never saw the Persuader as it appears on screen in Revenge of the Sith.
A simple repaint has always been a good way to pay off new molds and production costs (best example are Jedi Starfighters). Instead of re-releasing this awesome mold Hasbro even down-scaled the Class II vehicle line, which are more in scale 1/24 than in 1/18, now.

Since this let my hopes of a re-release/repaint fade away I decided to repaint the TCW version myself. I don't know if anybody did this before and I didn't find any pictures of a similar project online.
This plan has been in my mind since 2009 and this year I finally realized it:

There are only few pictures online to use as reference. For reference I used pictures of:

- Episode III (http://starwarsscreencaps.com/)
- the model of Wizards of the Coast (Star Wars Miniatures) (see picture below)
- some pics on google of model kits and drwaings etc.
- The model of DeAgostini, issue #51 CORPORATE ALLIANCE TANK DROID by their Star Wars Starships & Vehicles magazine. Unfortunately I do not have the magazine itself...(see picture below)

Wizards of the Coast (Star Wars Miniatures)

#51 CORPORATE ALLIANCE TANK DROID by DeAgostini

1. First, I removed all 5 screws and took the vehicle apart.

2. Washing all parts is important before painting them in order to remove dust and fat. I just had to post this picture because this is an important step. Thanks to FialaFernbrugg for making me aware of it with his excellent videos on YouTube!
Watch them by following the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FialaFernbrugg

3. I spray-painted the tank with the priming "Chaos Black" from Citadel. Now it looks like a prototype:

Later, I corrected the model by also spray-painting the inner edges:

There actually was a prototype for sale on eBay for I think $230 some years ago...does anybody know which one I mean? I just found another prototype on sale by the same seller. Follow the link below to check it out, it's "only" $128 if it is a real prototype. It might be the same if the seller just reduced the price from $230 to $128:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/star-wars-The-clone-wars-Corporate-Alliance-Tank-Droid-prototype-/262208563574

Picture by:  toyssir8982009

Here's a comparison to the original release:

Hasbro painted the TCW version in gold/brown colors. It looks like the version of the series and I also like it, but it looks too clean for a tank. In my opinion it looks more like a Bentley or a Rolls-Royce with these fancy colors - no weathering or any other extra paint!

4. I dry brushed the snail tank with CITADEL paints. Then, I applied a shade to the dirtiest parts of the tannk. I started with the darkest metal shade (base).

For the basic paint I used the following colors in the exact order:

Base: LEADBELCHER
Layer: RUNEFANG STEEL, IRONBREAKER
Dry: NECRON COMPOUND
Shade: NULN OIL

And this is how it looks at the moment:

This is how all parts of the bodywork look seperately:

This is a work in progress. I still need to finish the basic metal paint on all parts, paint the visors in red, paint the chain and build two custom cannons to replace the original missles.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Best regards from Germany!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 12:45:06 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Wow, it looks so much better already. Time to take this to the front page.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Great job on the snail tank! The metallic drybrush looks awesome.

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
That weathered look is Awesome

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
wow
The best NR-N99 paint job I've ever seen.
It looks a thousand times better than the Hasbro version.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thanks guys I am happy you like it!

Here's just a quick update:

I collected some reference material and right now I am looking for suitable parts to use for the secondary canons...stay tuned for the final paint job. And sorry for the long time of waiting...

So here are some in game shots of Star Wars Battlefront II - Kashyyyk

I use an empty refill (of a pen) for the canons, but I still need to add a couple parts:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:10:28 AM by legion078 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I like it. More comments on the front pages. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Great work on the repaint.

Ron

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thanks guys! I just cannot wait to finish this one...as soon as I'll be done with my apprenticeship in January this will be the first thing I will do! Again, thanks for your patience guys!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
So over the weekend I FINALLY finished (almost) all parts of the Snail Tank! Only minor things still need to be done. I'll do some drilling tomorrow and still need another refill that is similar to the other...check out your pens! It's so hard to find two of the same refills...I got all of my pens for free...one here one there...I should've taken TWO at once! :D Anyway here is the result:

I highlighted the details of the cockpit by dry-brushing it and painting all instruments.

I also repainted the chain with 27003 "Polished Steel" by Humbrol:

This is how it looked before I re-assemmbled it:

Now. I finally painted both visors...

It's always nice to see the "before and after effect"...

To see all figures in detail, check out my Custom Figures:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10186.0

Kashyyyk has been attacked by Seperatist forces!

And more are coming...

Jump to my 2nd version here: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10165.msg218129#msg218129

I do not own this picture.
Source: starwars.wikia.com
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/e8/SepKashyyykForces.png/revision/latest?cb=20130210044456

At the moment this repaint is to 98% done! I only need three more parts to complete the tank and drill two holes into the main canons.

I can say Hasbro did an amazing job on the Corporate Alliance Tank! We can probably be thankful that Hasbro released this vehicle in their Class II assortment at all! The TCW line ran before they down-scaled their Class II assortment in 2013...so we might not see the Corporate Alliance Tank again...in the near future...and as mentioned above I couldn't understand it if Hasbro left this mold after only one regular release. This first release might have included enough units that the mold paid off though...who knows?
So you probably agree the mold is superb and it fits in scale 1/18 quite well. By re-painting the NR-N99 I learned to appreciate this vehicle even more! Hasbro put so much detail into this mold - I love it! Thanks Hasbro!

Best regards!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:27:58 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Looks good. Off to share the latest with the Snail Tank.

Offline tetsuoswrath

• Jedi Fringer
  • Cadet
  • OG TrEU Canon
wow! That looks great. And I love the interior paintjob.

I never got this vehicle, it's a two seater? Huh. (I really like that Hasbro included seats for these vehicles.)

Makes me want to play BF2. :{D

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
@ Tamer: Thank you for the recognition! I am very grateful for the positive feedback! I also like how this repaint turned out!

@tetsuoswrath: Thank you! Yes, it is a two-seater. According to Wookiepedia and what I know the Corporate Alliance Tank is officially meant to be an independently operating Droid. However in the Battlefront II videogame you can actually get in and drive the tank. And Hasbro put the effort into the interior deco and included the cockpit.
Although you can hardly see all deatils through the hatches, I just couldn't leave the cockpit unpainted. I will post more pictures, soon! I made another progress today!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:13:11 AM by legion078 »

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
Great repaint and modifications!  Looks really sharp!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Great repaint and modifications!  Looks really sharp!

Thank you very much Jaeger! It was a lot of fun working on this one!