Author Topic: Rebel Cargo Carrier - scratch build - 25/12/2022  (Read 40718 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Repaint: Naboo Flash Speeder - TPM 1999
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 01:53:41 AM »
@ Tamer: If you like learing more about Star Wars vehicles I can recommend DeAgostini's magazine collection about Vehicles & Starships to you! I will start to review my collection, soon!

@ hemble: Thanks, Ron! I also added some more pictures to my previous post here, too! Sorry for the sloppy description. I was a little tired when I posted it first, but now I updated all texts as well! The description is now completed!

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
I quite like it in black, maybe another?  And how about doing one up as an improved beige Luke Speeder?  The Flash Speeder is an improvement as a toy on many levels. 

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »
Excellent work my friend.
It looks so much better with the new colour.
I hope you find the missing part.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
@ bubbavader: These are excellent ideas! Thank you very much for your inspiration! I already got the paint for my next Flash Speeder. Now, I just need a second Speeder to use as custom :D And I agree with you! This vehicle was impressive back then - it got so much play value for its size and price.

@ FialaFernbrugg: Thank you very much! I still haven't found the missing part, but it has to be somewhere...otherwise I'll just make a new one out of resin ;)

Thank you so much for your feedback guys! I always appreciate it!

- Philipp

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Repaint: Republic Gunship / LAAT/i - ROTS 2005
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
Repaint: Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry (LAAT/i) (AOTC/ROTS)

"The Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry (LAAT/i), also known as the Low Altitude Assault Transport, Republic attack gunship or Assault Gunship, was a gunship used by the Grand Army of the Republic during the Clone Wars. Its role was to transport troopers as well as offering air-to-ground and air-to-air support for the Republic against the Separatists. After the formation of the Galactic Empire, the remaining LAAT/is were absorbed into the Imperial Navy."

Source: Wookiepedia
Read the full article by following the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Low_Altitude_Assault_Transport/infantry

Republic Gunship

It's Saturday and what's happening this weekend? Right, New York Toy Fair! I knew the International Toy Fair was probably going to steal me the show, but honestly I didn't expect much news from Hasbro...
Now, since the first pictures of the Imperial Combat Assault Tank leaked, the occasion of posting this couldn't be better!

I don't know what you think about the "Hover Tank" (it seems the name was corrected), but I think this new release is going to make vehicles great, again!
Hasbro have done an amazing job on this one as far as the pictures tell we have so far...important to note here is: They even put weathering on it! And I really hope the final product looks as well as this sample on Toy Fair does!
It's funny that exactly the same was done on this Republic Gunship...

Last week I was able to acquire this custom on eBay and it arrived today. So I didn't repaint it myself, but I still wanted to share it with you. I found it for 62€ and got it 68€ including shipping.
It came without the back canon, but I can easily replace it with one of my resin parts, which I actually made already.

So let's jump right into this project!

In 2005 Hasbro released a repaint of the Republic Gunship which had its deput in 2002. This time around it came with green instead of red paint apps. And I still don't know why. But I do know that there were some changes made prior the final edit of Revenge of the Sith - so this might be an early concept of the Gunship for Episode III - but I don't know if it's seen in any scene of the movie. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I can tell this Gunship was repainted with email colours (e.g. Revell or humbrol). It was painted with a brush and wheathered with some incredible techniques. The paint peeled off on some parts, but I will apply some fresh paint on it and seal it with a clear varnish because that hasn't been done, yet. I take this occasion to also do some investigation on which colours were used exactly.

It's interesting to see a Japanese instruction sheet...I got a Droid Tri Fighter in Japanese packaging, but that's all I know - is anybody able to read these letters?

Again, pictures say more than words...enjoy! ;)

Trunk:

Before I re-assembled the Gunship I took pictures of all the detais. All functions were maintained like the firing missles, rotating front turrets or opening hatches:

Wings and main turrets:

Pre-assembly:

Re-assembled and detail:

Front and cockpit:

Bottom:

Stern:

Details:

And as always: Your feedback is always appreciated!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:03:11 AM by Darth More »

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
  • Clone Wars / Imperial Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
Phillip this is simply incredible!! Your patience, skill, and dedication are evident in every picture!! I especially admire your technique for blaster damage and carbon scoring, how exactly did you paint that?

Overall the weathering and repaint look fantastic, what a great gunship! Excellent work as always my friend.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:31 AM »
@ talonreap: Thank you very much my friend, but the glory is for somebody else because I did not repaint this Gunship myself, but I would love to do that some day. I updated the script for this post since I didn't have enough time for that, yesterday.

Although this is not my project I can already tell you some deatil about it:

First off to answer your question:

I assume that a small bristle brush was used to apply these damage effects. The applied paint was partly removed with a piece of tissue or a cottom swab afterwards.
The silver scratches were applied with a softer brush using just a metal/silver paint. Some parts were dry-brushed as well.

- this Gunship was painted with brushed, it was not air-brushed
- email colours (e.g. from Revell or humbrol) were used
- a shade was not used on this project

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm actually working on a similar project myself right now so stay tuned for that :)

Best regards from Germany!

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »
Now that is nice and thorough. Off to share the latest.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
The paint job and weathering looks extremly realistic.
Thank you for sharing.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
Excellent work Philipp.

Ron

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 01:56:44 AM »
@Tamer: Thank you Shawn! I always enjoy working on vehicles and I got two more in the works at the moment...

@FialaFernbrugg: Yes, I agree! And you're welcome! I really enjoyed taking the pictures.

@hemble: Thank you very much! But the flowers go to someone else. I got this Gunship on eBay and didn't mention it right away - that was my bad, but I really wanted to share it with you! The seller I got it from didn't repaint it himself and he doesn't know who made it anymore. He also got it in a lot from eBay. I will work on some scracthes and apply some clean varnish to it to protect the paint from further damage. I also enjoy looking at different customs to learn from them for myself. I'll try to repaint a model kit of the LAAT/i just like that to gain some more experience.
You're one of my big role models/idols and inspiration, Ron! I really enjoy your projects and always feel honored to receive feedback from you!

- Philipp 

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Repaint: Republic Attack Dropship - 2012
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »
Republic Attack Dropship

"Dropships were any craft designed to transport troops to the surface of a planet. Models of dropship included the Imperial Dropship Transport, the Theta-class barge, and the Y-85 Titan dropship. The Gozanti-class cruisers could also be used as dropships, as they could carry either four TIE/ln space superiority starfighters, four All Terrain Defense Pods or even two All Terrain Armored Transports on underside-mounted docking clamps."
Source: Wookieepedia

Read the full article after following the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dropship

I do not own this image.
Source: rebelscum.com
URL: http://www.rebelscum.com/Republic_Attack_Dropship.asp

In April I purchased five custom painted vehicles from Hasbro on eBay. Four of them are from the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) and one is from the Techno Union.
The four vehicles of the New Republic were offered for 100€/$115 USD and the vehicle of the Confederacy of Independent Systems (CIS) for 45€/$51.75 USD (current exchange rate of 1.15 EUR to USD).

I DID NOT paint these vehicles myself.
The name of the customizer and artist, who painted and weathered them, is Jan. 
I just enjoy taking and editing pictures and would like to share them with you!

They were painted with silver metal email colors mostly along the edges and washed with a black wash. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask in the comment section down below!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:20:04 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Repaint: Republic Attack Dropship - TCW 2012
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 06:15:25 AM »
V-19 Torrent

"The V-19 Torrent starfighter was an assault fighter with exceptional speed and maneuverability used by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars.

It was a predecessor of the Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing starfighter, in terms of purpose and usage."

Read the full article after following the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/V-19_Torrent_starfighter/Legends

I do not own this image.
Source: starwars.wikia // Wookieepedia
URL: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Blue_Squadron_Ryloth.png

I do not own this image.
Source: rebelscum.com
URL: http://www.rebelscum.com/TCWvehV19Torrent.asp

This is the second vehicle I found on eBay in April. Scratches and a black wash was added to the V-19 Torrent starfighter. I really emjoyed talking pictures of this starfighter and discovering all the details the artist added to it. And I hope you do so as much as I do:

Talking about the TRUE Y-Wing... ;)

Over the next days I will add pictures of the Republic Fighter Tank and the ISP Swamp Speeder.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:58:42 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »
Infantry Support Platform (ISP)
Swamp Speeder

"The Infantry Support Platform, also known as the Infantry Support Platform speeder, the clone swamp speeder, swamp speeder, ISP speeder, or simply as the ISP,was a military repulsorcraft that was used by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. It was used in the Battle of Kashyyyk and a battle on Felucia against the Separatist Droid Army."
Read the full article by following the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Infantry_Support_Platform

I do not own this image.
Source: starwars.wikia // Jedipedia
URL: http://jedipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Infanteriest%C3%BCtzplattform

Interesting to note here is that I sold this Swamp Speeder in new condition a couple years ago to Jan who customized it. He sold two of them in April - so it is possible that I bought it back from him. I wrote him before I made the purchase and remembered his name. He's a very nice guy and I'm glad to own some of his work, now. He turned four units of massed produced "toys" into unique pieces. For me, this is magic.

I'm definitely looking forward to customizing my own Swamp Speeder some day and build a new diorama to display it. Time is always the factor that puts the realization of ideas so far away in the future...not to forget money and space...but for now here is Jan's weathered/scratched ISP on my swamp diorama display:

- Philipp

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:19:05 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
Please, also scroll up to Reply #41 to check out the actual beginning of this post and to read the full story about this series of vehicles.

IFT-X // Republic Fighter Tank
TX-130 Saber-Class Fighter Tank

"The Republic Interceptor TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank, otherwise known as the IFT-X or Republic fighter tank, was a maneuverable, fast-attack tank used by the Jedi Order and their clone forces during the Clone Wars."
Read the full article by following the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TX-130_Saber-class_fighter_tank

I do not own this image.
Source: PaperCraftSquare
URL: http://www.papercraftsquare.com/star-wars-tx-130-saber-class-fighter-tank-free-paper-model-download.html

I do not own this image.
Source: TexasToyz
URL: http://www.texastoyz.com/stwaclwarefi.html

This is the fourth vehicle of the set I found on eBay in April. And I have to admit: It's quite frustrating that the first custom Republic Fighter Tank I share on here is not customized by me. But it's an honor to have these customs from Jan in my collection, now.
As you might've seen in the table of content on page 1, I plan a series of repaints of the IFT-X.
The IFT-X is my absolute favorite ground vehicle of the GAR! And I'm going to modify the units I plan to repaint. The custom IFT-X from FialaFernbrugg is one of my favorite custom projects. I really look up to him and his amazing skills. Make sure to check out his thread by following the link at the end of this post and please let him know what you think about his projects.

I'll be very happy if my repaint of the IFT-X looks like this one from Jan here. I'm sure it'll look awesome with modifications added and more realistic cannons. I leave this custom as it is. Got enough used Republic Fighter Tanks to turn into customs. So stay tuned for those and enjoy this one here for now:

If you want to see a completely modified, repainted and weathered Republic Fighter Tank custom, make sure to check out FialaFernbrugg's custom vehicles:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1625.0

[/size]

FialaFernbrugg is a customer I really look up to! His custom projects are truly unique pieces of art and never fail to impress!

If you haven't done so, yet, please subscribe to his YouTube channel and like & comment on his videos!

And please also check out the review on the first release of the Republic Fighter Tank by Clonehead:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=841.0

Thank you very much!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:02:29 PM by Darth More »