Author Topic: Darth More's Dioramas: Felucia - Display Diorama (Test)  (Read 43559 times)

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Re: Mini Dioramas
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 06:53:08 AM »
 ;D
That is an appropriate vehicle for the Emperor.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Mini Dioramas
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
Thank you! I already got a couple more ideas for similar projects... ;) Won't take much longer until you'll see them!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Mini Dioramas on Picture Frames
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »
"These ARE the plants you're looking for!"

So let's talk about artificial plants! Why? Because I think it's worth it! You might have noticed that it can be quite hard to find suitable material like (artificial) plants for your dioramas. That's why I would like to talk about this here!

During my time as exchange student in Michigan my host mother took me to Hobby Lobby a couple times. I can only remember this store as source of artificial plants. Most of them were not suitable for model building though, but more for decoration purposes. The second disadvantage was that Hobby Lobby or similar craft stores are not located in every city in the U.S. - for all of you living in the U.S. you might have better sources for model building supplies (like dollar stores maybe?).
Just let me know in the comments!
I also went to a model train store that didn't have much and was quite expesnive. Here in Germany it is pretty much the same thing:
Craft stores and model building stores have become pretty rare. But if you find one here it's likely that you also find some good stuff for your projects!

I've been "collecting" artificial plants for almost a decade by now and gained some experience on this topic. I would like to share my latest experience with you guys so that all of you can profit from it regardless where you live!
In November 2016 I found a good source for artificial plants online!
There are many stores on eBay that actually sell artificial plants in all scales! After ordering some items from two of these stores I can almost say for sure that they all belong to one and the same seller or company! The two stores I made experiece with are sfcdirect and schmuckshop88 (which is focused only on the German/European market). So in any case I recommend to you to go with sfcdirect because they send worldwide and are cheapest. 
All in all I am pretty contented with the plants I got from them. Here is why:

Advantages:
- you can get many for cheap
- most of them are shipped for free or just a low shipping cost (BUT: They do not combine shipping!)

Disadvantages:
- the items are sent from China and take about 3 weeks to Germany (and probably to the USA, too)
- as already mentioned above they do not combine shipping costs
- the communication with one of their several assistants of their customer service is a little difficult sometimes...
- they smell! I highly recommend you to wash them when you receive them!
- Most importantly: Colors vary! The plants sometimes come in a different color than shown on the pictures. You might have to repaint them. Which leads to my last disadvantage:
- Artificial plants (most of them in general) are pretty shiny/glossy. You might have to paint them in a matt color or just a clear varnish

My advice: Compare prices! I got the feeling they try to deceive the customer by selling the same item for different prices. Sort all items on eBay with the tool "show lowest price + shipping first"!!

Here is the link to the Chinese seller on eBay! Just type in "model tree" or "model diorama":

http://stores.ebay.de/sfcdirect/?_dmd=2&_nkw=model+tree+diorama

http://stores.ebay.de/sfcdirect/_i.html?_dmd=2&_nkw=model+diorama

Intentionally I do not post the direct links to their auctions/offers because they all end after 30 days. Just check out their eBay store.
I know they have a lot of crazy stuff and over 66.000 items, but if you just look for the target words mentioned above you will soon find what you are looking for!

So these are the first three items I got from schmuckshop88: By now sfcdirect sells all items sold by schmuckshop88. Seems they have reacted to my orders...It's not my intention to advertise for them here, but it's a source all of us can profit from!

I put all the plants in plastic bags and labeled each one of them with source, price and where I got them. I will post another topic about this later on...

I would have never expected to even find bamboo in this scale! I was very surprised when I found this and at this point I was sure I just had to share this with you! That's why I post the bamboo first here...so as you can see the tallest one is about 5.25"/14cm high, while the smallest one measures about 3"/8cm. You can buy a mixed set of 100 for about 8,59€/~$8.93.

I also really like these plants because you can use them for many environments like Endor or Kashyyyk. You can get 50 for $4.69+$0.52* - so about $0.10* per piece.

These palm trees are sold as "Cyad trees". The color varies a little bit from the description. You can get 10 for 3,49€/~$3.63* + free shipping! So $0.36* per piece. There are other offers, too. The cheapest I could find is 50 of them for 10,75€/~$11.18* ($0.22* per piece). If you need so many of them visit gudongtoy:
http://www.ebay.de/sch/gudongtoy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

They are about 2"/4,5cm tall. Keep in mind that these measures include the tip of the plants.

As mentioned above I highly recommend to you to wash them with water and soap before using them for your dioramas! They ship from Shenzhen, Guangdong or Hongkong where the air pollution is really bad. When I took the plants off the bowl I could even see particles of fine dust in the water which had turned grey .

You can get different kinds of these "carpets" to use them seperately or to fill big areas on your diorama! They are arranged in 9x9 so you get 81 pieces for $4.99+$0.52 for shipping - so about $0.07 per piece. Again, please compare prices carefully before purchasing them!
They start from $2.74:
http://stores.ebay.de/SfcDirect/_i.html?_dmd=2&_nkw=81pc&_sop=2&rt=nc

Here is a selection of three types I bought. I will use them for Endor and Kashyyyk dioramas.

You can get a mixed set of 100 of this kind for $9.20+free shipping! You can also order a bag of 100 pieces in one color, which is cheaper. Since I don't need a hundred of one color I paid a little more to have 20 of each. I will use them for dioramas of Felucia, Kashyyyk and Ryloth.
They are actually smaller than I expected, thanks to the long tip! They measurure about:
1.25"/3,5cm - or: 0.75"/2,5cm without the tip. Just wanted to let you know. I don't think this is a diadvantage. The actal plant is just smaller than told in the description.

Here are two kinds of plants I would like to tell you more about:

The one on the left is sold as "Lotus leaf". 50 of them are sold as cheap as $3.89+$0.52 for shipping. BUT: They are actually much lighter than pictured on eBay. I wanted to use them for an upcoming Endor diorama inspired by the new Star Wars Battlefront videogame...so will have to paint them darker. I think they look like the leafes of a water lily, too.

The one on the right looks like a bunch of leafes from a banana palm tree. They measure about  1.25"/3,5cm. They're sold as "50 Traveller's model tree" for $4.74+$0.52 for shipping.

These plants look also very obscure and therefore interesting and perfect for recreating the fascinating worlds of George Lucas' Star Wars!

This one sells as "50 Model Heart Leaf" for $4.49+$0.52 International Shipping - so $0.10 a piece.

These here are alomost my favorite ones for Endor. They sell in two sizes (see picutre's center and right). They sell as "50pcs-Model-Grasses-Train-Railway-Wargame-Scenery-Landscape-HO-Scale-4-5cm" for $4.61+$0.52 for Worldwide Shipping.

How to turn Palm Tress into Fern...

What I also found on sfcdirect are Palm Trees in many different scales. Here is a selection of them:

"20pcs Coconut Palm Tree Scale 1/150" sell for $3.99+free shipping. Height: ~3"/10cm

"20pcs Coconut Palm Tree" sell for $2.77(offer)+$1.25 for Worldwide shipping. Height: ~4.5"/12cm

"14 Multi Scale Model Coconut Palm Tree" sell as cheap as $4.35+$0.52 for Worldwide shipping. Height: from ~2"/3,5cm to ~7"/18cm

Of course you can use them as they are for your environments. What about a diorama of Scarif along with an AT-ACT model kit from Revell?

Check out this one built and excellently weathered by FialaFernbrugg:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1625.210

So when I told Christoph about these palm trees and how much I was looking for fern in 3 3/4" scale he came up with the idea of using just the biggest ones by taking them apart.
And I have to admit I am really contended with the result:

By the way this is also a hint at an upcoming project...stay tuned for some action on Endor!

So these are just a few examples of artificial plants you can all buy at the moment on eBay from sfcdirect.
The nice thing about STAR WARS and its diversity of worlds is that you can just use your full imagination! You can utilize all the artificial plants for your dioramas in several scales and to recreate the fantastic environments of STAR WARS! Some are more, some are less useful. It's up to you and what you would like to create in which scale! I think the secret to make your diorama look authentic and natural is to use many different plants. There is a structure but no regular order. Just mix them all together!
I hope I could help and give you some inspiration for upcoming or already existing projects. I wish you a lot of fun and joy for our beloved hobby!
Best regards from Germany!

- Philipp

* All prices are in the current EUR/USD exchange rate (1€=$1.04). Prices and currencies vary. They should just give you an idea of prices in general. Some items may be cheaper or more expensive in your countries. By the way you should come and visit Europe! The Euro is still quite cheap!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:36:28 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Mini Dioramas: What Materials do I use? 01/15/2017
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »
Great resource and great idea.

I would love to get some links to start giving folks some options.

Any eBay, amazon, etc. stores you folks use to get your plants?

Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 03:03:15 AM »
Fantastic job buddy and I'll have to check the links out.

As you know and the other members I like using plants in my dios as well and my favourite companies are.

Woodland Scenics - Fine Leaf Foliage
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/TRFine-LeafFoliage

Joefix Studios
http://www.joefix-studio.be/producten.asp

and another two places are pet shops mainly aquariums and craft stores.

Ron

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »
I love you for your Sith Cadillac
Crushed velvet seats
Riding in the back
Oozing down the street
Waving to the girls
Feeling out of sight
Spending all my money
On a Saturday night
Honey I just wonder what you do there in the back
Of your Sith Cadillac
Sith Cadillac

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
I love you for your Sith Cadillac
Crushed velvet seats
Riding in the back
Oozing down the street
Waving to the girls
Feeling out of sight
Spending all my money
On a Saturday night
Honey I just wonder what you do there in the back
Of your Sith Cadillac
Sith Cadillac

LOL! Fantastic, I so have that tune in my head now. What a great laugh to start the day.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 03:23:30 AM »
Fantastic job buddy and I'll have to check the links out.

As you know and the other members I like using plants in my dios as well and my favourite companies are.

Woodland Scenics - Fine Leaf Foliage
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/TRFine-LeafFoliage

Joefix Studios
http://www.joefix-studio.be/producten.asp

and another two places are pet shops mainly aquariums and craft stores.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I am gonna try to get a thread set up for diorama and custom resources. I probably ought to do a US and an International One.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 06:07:06 AM »
@Tamer: Thank you Shawn. Please, go ahead and open a thread set up for diorama and custom resources! I think that's a great idea! I didn't know where I should post this topic. When you open the new thread I will transfer/re-post everything on here if that's okay with you?

@hemble: Thanks Ron! Your sources look very promising! I really enjoy your custom creations and dioramas! Keep up the great work!

@bubbavader: Wow are these lyrics of a song I don't know, yet? You probably mean "Backseat Of Your Cadillac by C.C. Catch! You're quite a poet! Glad you like my little set-up of "The Emperor's Arrival - Classic Style"!  :)

Sorry guys. It took me more time than I thought when I posted the new topic. Now, I completed the scipt and added more pictures. So please make sure to re-check everything I posted above!

Here are some examples of plants from local craft stores:

This one was quite expensive (7,99€/~$8.30*). I found this at a German chain for gifts and decoration supplies called "Nanu-Nana". I took it apart and already used some parts on my "Swamp Speeder Display" - seen on Page 1.

You often find mixed bags. Here is an example of a bunch I got for 3,95€/~$4.11* at my city's biggest decoration store! These bunches contain 60 pieces which makes 7 cents per piece. And they got a MASSIVE selection of diffeterent plants. I check them every few weeks for new/seasonal stuff.

I collected these plants and sorted them after planet/theme. These are meant to be used on Endor dioramas.

As Ron already mentioned above, artificial plants for aquariums can also be very suitable for diorama projects! The only disadvantage is that they can be quite expensive compared to what they are. I will take these for a Felucia display.

Another source is...IKEA! They also sell artificial plants mostly for decoration purposes of course. This one costs 4,99€/~$5.20*(Germany). This is also quite much for a single piece, but it might pay off if you need trees in scale 1/18 on your dioramas...

* All prices are in the current EUR/USD exchange rate (1€=$1.04). Prices and currencies vary. They should just give you an idea of prices in general. Some items may be cheaper or more expensive in your countries. By the way you should come and visit Europe! The Euro is still quite cheap!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:36:53 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Mini Dioramas: What Materials do I use? 01/19/2017
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »
If I can find some time soon I plan to create a detailed section for this and other customizing resources.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Mini Dioramas: What Materials do I use? 01/19/2017
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »
@ Tamer: Sounds great! I will re-post a part of my stuff in there if that's okay with you. Or just a link to my topic would work, too.

So as I already mentioned before I was really surprised to have found model bamboo in different sizes. It seems to perfect for 1/18 scale sceneries!
And in order to celebrate these new artificial plants I just finished my latest project:

This is not directly meant to be a Star Wars Diorama, but I could easily turn it into one with an urgent message from Master Yoda himself...

I would like to share it with you anyway because I think there are useful hints for you guys!

All you need for this diorama is:

Materials:
- picture frame $1.50
- cardboard $0
- modelling material/clay <$2
- brown acrylic paint <$0.50 (measured by the amount you need)
- wood glue <$0.20
- sand <$0.10
- shredded material (e.g. cork) for the forest ground from a modelling shop, see image below
- artificial pants, small stones/rocks, wood/sticks etc.

Tools:
- pair of scissors
- cutting knife
- a (cheap) bigger and flat (synthetic hair) brush

For this diorama I used a picture frame I found at ALDI (3 frames for just 3,50€!
Not only the price was great, I also like the kind of wood.
The measures are:

Outer edges: 20x15cm (7.8"x5.9"), inner surface: 15x10cm (5.9"x4")

Step-by-step:

1. You take out the glass of the picture frame and remove the frame's stand on the back.
2. Cut out a piece of cardboard that fits the back of the frame to replace the glass. (see picture 2) Use wood glue and/or craft glue to attatch the wood plate and the cardboard.
Make sure to put newspaper underneath in order to protect your work surface. You don't want to have glue on your table.

The following pictures show how I prepared the picture frame:

1. Prepare the picture frame as explained above.

2. Cut out a piece of cardboard that fits the back of the frame to replace the glass.

3. Apply modeling material/clay to the frame's inner surface. Imprint footprints or similar uneveness for further detail. Let it dry. It might shrink. You can apply some more to fill the gaps, then. The gaps can also make the environment look more realistic. It's up to you ;-)

4. Stick all plants, rocks or other parts that will be glued on later into the modeling material as long as it is soft. This way you can structure your diorama as long as the clay is workable.

5. When the modelling clay is dry you can use a tooth pick to widen the holes for the plants before you paint it. That way it's easier to find the holes again. For the brown paint I mixed dark brown acrylic paint with a little bit of sand and wood glue in order to make it look more like soil. The wood glue is useful to make the ground sticky for the shredded material.
Apply brown acrylic paint to cover the modeling material. Let it dry.
Apply any detail you want like small stones/rocks, sticks or artificial plants.

6. Finished diorama after I applied color, shredded flakes e.g. cork and a couple stones. All artificial plants and stones are glued on with wood glue.

I bent some of the bamboo to make it look more realistic. The scenery depicts the edge of a forest where Panda bears have already eaten some of the bamboo...

Kashyyyk might look similar to this model in some areas so I put some Star Wars figures on it:

TVC VC20 Yoda and TAC Order 66 AT-RT Driver, Wave 2 Set 5 of 6

TVC VC20 Yoda and ROTS Sneak Preview 3 of 4 Wookie Warrior

TBS #11 Luminara Unduli and TAC 08-04 Kashyyyk Trooper

2 Schleich Panda Bears I got used on eBay for $2 each.Schleich 14706 and 14707

Yoda's message to us:

TBS #22 Yoda with Schleich Panda Bears: Schleich 14664 and 14707

"Listen to Yoda you should!"

This set-up should not convey any political message. The Panda bears are just a symbol of any species on earth that is in danger of extinction. The population of Panda bears is actually recovering thanks to the breeding of zoos mostly in China. But I think what mankind has already done and still does to Earth is more than alarming and appalling!

I let the Panda bears stay on this diorama because in my opinion the environment fits best to them. There will be more dioramas of Kashyyyk, Felucia and Endor later ;)

I say: Listen to Yoda!

Have a good weekend guys!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:37:18 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Mini Dioramas: A Message from Yoda 01/20/2017
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
What a cool project with a great message. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2017, 06:27:00 AM »
   Another great mini dio! The groundwork is very good.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »
Thank you guys! It was much fun to work on this dio! More are to come, soon!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
Another great research on were to get plants for our dio's mate well done.

The last dio is brillant you have a great eye for details and how much should go onto a dio with out it coming to cluttered. I especially like the fact that you placed the plants in one area then sparsely did the other 10/10.

Ron