Author Topic: Darth More's Dioramas: Felucia - Display Diorama (Test)  (Read 43934 times)

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
    • Richard's Creative Workshop
Re: Darth More's Dioramas: Utapau - The 10th Level ROTS
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2020, 04:53:26 AM »
Nice job, well done.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Darth More's Dioramas: Utapau - The 10th Level ROTS
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »
Tamer: Thank you very much for the front pages! I'm also glad how this Little test project turned out. Nothing special from a model building perspective, but definitely great joy to me since I had planned to have this in my glass cabinet for quite a while...the next dio will be much bigger.

RCWCreations: Thanks so much! I really appreciate your feedback, Richard!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Darth More's Dioramas: Utapau: Hello there! & The 10th Level
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2020, 06:13:56 AM »

Printed on cardboard this would've been a cool 2-Pack from Hasbro back in 2005 or 2008.

Making of:

I wanted to make a display diorama for this scene. The duel between Obi-Wan and Grievous is one of my favorites and the surprise attack of the 7th Sky Corps is just cool.

So I grabbed a piece of styrofoam (20x30 cm) and started working on it. I know my display is not screen accurate, but I didn't add the white stripe because I'm not quite happy with the surface. Sure the CIS wouldn't use the best steel, but the surface of the styrofoam still is too uneven/porous to me.

So if you want to build this, here are the instructions for a better version:

- glue a piece of cardboard on the styrofoam plate (e.g. from the back of a college block).
- cover the sides with the same cardboard (all measures according to your styrofoam plate).
- draw the pattern with a set square on the cardboard (I just looked at screenshots and drew it)
- Use different acrylic paints to paint the surface:
-- inner (thick) line AND cardboard at side edges: slate Grey
-- outer (thin) lines: light Grey mixed with White (60:40 ratio)
-- rest of surface: middle Grey
- optional: add some additional damage to the surface for more reaslism (not accurate to this scene, I damaged the styrofoam by accident and just fixed it by adding some Leadbelcher from Citadel)
- let everything dry.
- add a black wash at the end (I used vallejo's Natural (black) Iron Oxide). Let it dry. Full details on pigments here:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10416.msg216160#msg216160
- seal the painted surface with a clear varnish (I used one from a dollar store that dries "ultra matt")

I'll do a second one following the steps above. Learned a lot from the first version. I also added the cardboard to the sided AFTER painting (bad idea), so I had glue on the top where it doesn't belong. Tried to cover it with more black wash. That's why the wash is so prominent at the sides of the surface. Learn from my mistakes. Still looks nice on display and was much fun to make, too! Revenge of the Sith sure is a great source for dioramas and customs!

Double-click for full size screen. You can then minimize the video again to watch it imbedded on this page. ;)

Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous
uploaded by StarWarsTiggy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_l3qpKDzncpGhOcmcP1SWA

I find it a cool coincidence that Mos-Eisley-Customz and I both have current projects related to Utapau in Revenge of the Sith! Check out Grievous' ride he repainted excellently:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10715.msg216304#msg216304

Please, also check out RC-1136's weathered CIS fleet here:

Seperatist Air Wing

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10695.msg215709#msg215709

HMP / Droid Gunship

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10714.msg216297#msg216297

- Philipp
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 03:50:18 AM by Darth More »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Re: Darth More's Dioramas: Hello there!
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2020, 02:14:48 AM »
What an awesome mini dio.
The texture, the colours and the weathering look perfect.
Excellent work.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
Looks pretty awesome to me. Off to the front pages.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »
Fantastic work mate, I love them all.

Ron

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
    • Richard's Creative Workshop
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2020, 03:27:14 AM »
These are fantastic mate, well done.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2020, 06:32:14 AM »
So you are a madman. I love all the step by step documentation.
These look great and matching the scenes is a fun challenge.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
Hey Philipp, I love both of these smaller dioramas that you have shown off. I so appreciate that you give the "process" images (that is a lot of extra work too). Its great to see how you are building these. They turned out really well and also are compact (which I imagine makes storage easier). Keep up the excellent work.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Darth More's Dioramas: Scarif - Landing Platform 9
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2020, 02:49:00 AM »
Thank you so much for your comments, gentlemen!

FialaFernbrugg: Thank you, mate! It's good to see you back around!

Tamer: As always, much appreciated. Thank you.

hemble: It's an honor to hear that from you, Ron! I hope you'll like the next one, too. You are a true inspiration and big role model to me, mate!

RCWCreations: Thank you so much, RCW! I'm always blown away by your walls as well! And your casting skills are truly impressive, too! Thanks for coming by and leaving your feedback!

Clonehead: Yes, I am, Sir! It's so good to have you back here, Clint! Thank you so much for checking back in and leaving a comment on my thread It does mean a whole lot to me!

Starchaser: Thank you, my friend. I was already a little afraid that nobody cared about my stuff anymore...but I'm thankful & happy to have gotten 6 comments by now! That means a lot to me. I'm really glad you like them! Wanted to make a couple of Utapau dios since I saw ROTS for the first time (2006). I try to always think of stopping what I'm doing when I'm working on my projects. I think those process pics are always helpful and explain everything quicker than words do.

I hope you'll like the next one, too!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2020, 02:56:15 AM »

Special thanks go to hemble. He's a true inspiration and his amazing projects contribute to enjoying this hobby even if times get Rough. Thank you for sharing what you do, Ron! Make sure to check out his phenomenal dioramas here:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9778.msg211055#msg211055

Since I'm a big fan of palm trees and they're also canon now, I was thrilled to finally give my first diorama of Scarif a go. To me Rogue One is by far the best movie that Di$ney have produced since they took over. So I looked for reference material online and by doing so I really wanted to watch Rogue One, again! It's just addicting, it's brilliant, it's even thrilling - despite any plot armor. Yes, their Mission will be successful and yes they will steal the Death Star plans - but at which price? Rogue One manages to make me appreciate the effort needed to get those plans even more! So many heroes had to sacrifice their life and also many villians did to defend them. First and foremost Director Krennic . what a brilliant character. This movie is FULL of brilliant new characters who all die unfortunately. I also like how evil and selfish Tarkin is shown here. And the grand (brutal) final takes place on this beautifully looking Holiday planet. Is Scarif actually a metaphor?

Anyhow here's my first Scarif diorama in full detail: Initially, I wanted to start with a larger diorama including water effects. But then I decided to better start smaller (easier) instead. Utapau is going to be bigger (even an AT-TE fits on it!).

First, I thought of calling this dio "Two Jewels" because I like the palm trees so much. But then the landing platform where "Rogue One" lands came to mind. That's when I re-watched the scene very quick because I didn't remember the number. So it's Landing Platform Nine and my diorama shows it before Cargo Shuttle SW0608 lands.

And in the next step I show you how you can make those palm trees!

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10416.msg216633#msg216633

Star Wars - Imperial March | Heroic Version | Piano & Orchestra

Editorial Comment:

Of course I'd love to write all words in aurabesh, but I don't know how! lol & cheers!
Special thanks also go to my rubber tree, Rob, for the natural inspriation.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:32:34 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2020, 04:13:25 AM »
Making of Landing Platform 09

As teased before I didn't want to throw away all the masking tape that I used on the Hello there! display diorama...AND I finally wanted to make some palm trees. So here were go:

Follow this link to a detailed step-by-step tutorial for making those palm trees:

And this is what you may need:

List of materials:

- Palm leafes (found on eBay, shipped from China) - 5 branches x 35 leaves each for 5,98€ (excellent price if you ask me! + FREE shipping)!
- florist's wire (30 meters for 60 cents)
- bamboo stick (2 meters for ~ $2)
- masking tape
- acrylic paint (sand, beige, brown - whatever you want)
- Pigments (sand, black, Brown, beige - sky's the limit) - I used vallejo's "burnt umber" Pigments (73110) and made it a wash
- big wood pick (thicker than toothpicks) 
- wood glue

I used wire to fix the branches and to make them adjustable at the same time:

I also found bamboo to be best for the trunks. I actually found the bamboo stick (2 m for $2) while I was looking for garden hoses. If you still want to make crooked Palm trees, hoses might still be the best choice. The nice Thing About bamboo is that it's hollow. So the wire and the Wood sticks (also bamboo in this case) fit in perfectly. A drop of wood glue and everything is fixed!

Follow this link to a detailed step-by-step tutorial for making those palm trees:

Making the Display:

wash

I recommend to you to also use a sponge here instead of a brush.

foliage

platform Details

result

Reference Material

Linkin Park - Figure.09
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:35:06 AM by Darth More »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2020, 06:49:15 AM »
Love the scarif platform dio. Those palms look great. I’m anxious to see your take on em as I have some palm tree work coming up for the racetrack.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2020, 07:36:17 AM »
One great dio and one great tribute. Off to the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »
Clonehead: Wow, thank you for early comment! I had an invitation today, so I had to leave the desk while editing. But I've added the w.i.p. pics now to the post above. I'll also share a tutorial on my other topic:

And I'm curious to see your next palm tree project! I can imagine some classic cars in California are involved. I have to admit, I'm a little thrilled by the result so I might build another display dio for my 1/18 scale 50's T-bird...

Tamer: Thank you for the front pages! I was hoping you were checking back in today. So thanks for coming by!