Author Topic: Magnetic Racing 1/32 Grandstand kit  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Magnetic Racing 1/32 Grandstand kit
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:59:25 AM »
Back in the day, a decade or more ago, you could find some slot car track buildings in 1/32 scale. Grandstands, Marshall offices, ticket booths, mostly stuff from the U.K. it’s all rare and hard to find now. Some more modern stuff has been released by carrera but it has more of a modern euro airport feel to it and for my track, I was wanting something a little more down to earth like what you would see at a county or state fair in the States somewhere.
         As I continue to refine my racetrack diorama layout, it became
Obvious early on that I would need some Kind of grandstand structure to house some scale patrons who are watching the race. I haven’t gotten into figures yet but there are Some available and I could come up with something of my own possibly.
     We are to portray 1/32 scale for buildings on my track and searching around I found this company, Magnetic Racing, based in the U.K., that manufactures their own line of 1/32 scale track building wood kits laser etched out of thin high density MDF.
     One of the more challenging kits that they offer, the covered  grandstand kit, is what I chose for my layout.
    It didn’t take long to get to my house from the U.K., less than 2 weeks. Could have been packed a bit better, it’s bag was loose in a folded box. 1 piece had broken during transit but was easily glued back in place. Not used to wood kits, the etching in this kit is very sharp with extra detail and even guide lines etched into pieces to aid in your assembly. No instructions included, rather supplied on their website with step by step diagrams and text to guide you through assembly.
     This thing looks pretty as laser etched wood but I am nearly to the point in its assembly where I need to start painting, if I’m going to.
There is still walls, roof, and plenty more stair detail to go.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:02:49 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Magnetic Racing 1/32 Grandstand kit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 04:03:04 AM »
Wow, thats nice. I could see that being added to any type of dio that needed a place for spectators. Off to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 05:24:54 AM »
I did place a few pieces more in preparation for painting.
     I am going to spray the majority of it white with green seats and trim. I’ll paint those two doors to the refreshment booth a different color, blue possibly, with green trim, and I may prop one of em open.
     I would like to keep the finely etched board detail lines on those outer vertical and horizontal surfaces so, I’m dusting off the airbrush for this event. I’ll need some luck there as I am way out of practice.

These shots show our model mocked up a bit more Before paint.
There will be a roof with windows. I’ll have to find something for the glass.    I found a few 1/35 figure pieces to pose on this supposed 1/32 scale structure. All are varied companies interpretations of the scale. Dragon, tamyia, Italeri, and Esci, the larger figure without arms being from a very old Esci German soldiers seated set. I’ll have to start rounding up some larger 1/32 figures for our grandstand.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:37:50 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 05:29:15 AM »
Here is a shot of that venders hole at the back of the structure.
There is a counter, trim piece for the window, banner sign for above with trim, still for this area.
   It’s the camo pants guy without arms that is from the Esci set.
That Tamyia guy, from the motorcycle side car, is way too short, he is sitting on a step.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:32:57 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:23:14 AM »
Awesome Clint. Looks like you have it figured out well to me. I like the color choices too. It will be great to see it painted up. Off to the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:16 AM »
Agreed, this looks like quality stuff from the good ole' days. Made in the UK. I like that! Does anybody remember those TIMPO figures?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 02:04:57 PM »
I do not, DM
Here are some update shots. Several coats in so far, I’m not fighting with the airbrush nearly as much as I used to.
     The burn marks on the MDF stain through a yellowish color which is taking a bit more paint to cover. Another coat or two and I may be ready to continue assembly.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 06:12:44 AM »
Its looking good Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
I had shot several coats of white on everything and then started to hand paint all trim pieces and seats green. I dug out an old misprint of some racetrack graphics that had ended up on glossy paper and trimmed out something for the grandstand back wall. A little double stick tape and we have some banners hanging. I thought the Castrol graphics worked since I was adding green seats and trim anyways.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:46:57 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 06:41:10 AM »
Looks like you are making progress Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 03:14:51 AM »
More shots of the wallpapering and one of the seats going on with the sides up. I’ll dry brush a lighter tone onto those seats to weather them closer to that Castrol green.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 05:41:14 AM »
That is gonna look so awesome in your Track Dio.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
Really love that grandstand. Its going to be an awesome addition to the track.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 11:44:07 PM »
the stand looked great in it's natural wood but you painting and adding the decals has made it look brilliant.

Ron