Author Topic: Rebels, pirates, imperials and citizens.  (Read 108478 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Custom Sy Snootles.
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
   Thank you Starchaser and foxtrot. I think it's a good idea.

I started working on my vintage Sy Snootles. I bought a vintage Kenner Sy Snootles on ebay a long time ago. It was missing the skirt, feather, the microphone and the paint was worn. That was a perfect candidate for an upgrade. First I chopped off the cartoony chicken feet, and sculpted on more gnarly toes. Then I toned down the yellow with a Vallejo dark sand coat, and Tamiya flat blue spots. In the pictures it looks more yellow, than it does in natural light. Then I cut the tip off a little feather and glued it to the top of the head. I still need to make the skirt, I'm having trouble finding a sutable material, but I'll find something. I also have some reproduction microphones for Sy Snootles and Droopy McCool, coming in on Monday.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:53:55 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Rebels, pirates and imperials
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »
Looks pretty good so far to me. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2017, 06:36:24 AM »
Looks pretty good so far to me. Off to share.
   Thank you sir. I have this week off, I might search the world over for some skirt material. I had a tassle thing, but something happened to it.
  I'm tooling around with the idea of an in shelf display/dio. I have a very rough sketch, it at least gives me an idea of the outcome, and how many figures it will display. It's too bad, I can't find a deeper shelf, I could do a whole lot more. Seems like 11" is standard.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:15:53 AM by JDeck »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »
you did a great job on ole sy ! Great job on  sculpting the feet and a nice touch on the feather. I will be looking forward to seeing your upgrade. I never liked the special edition version (like many of us ) of sy . Plus Sy is on my list to upgrade at some point as well ! Good luck with finding a soft goods skirt !

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »
Love it JDeck
I bought a vintage Snootles for exactly the same reason. 
She looks so much more like the original puppet.
Love the tweaks.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
you did a great job on ole sy ! Great job on  sculpting the feet and a nice touch on the feather. I will be looking forward to seeing your upgrade. I never liked the special edition version (like many of us ) of sy . Plus Sy is on my list to upgrade at some point as well ! Good luck with finding a soft goods skirt !
  Thanks Mr.Jedi! The original Max Rebo band was awesome. You know my position on the SE movies. Haha. Wouldn't it be great if Hasbro did the original Max Rebo band fully articulated and new sculpts. That's what customising is for.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:05:04 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Love it JDeck
I bought a vintage Snootles for exactly the same reason. 
She looks so much more like the original puppet.
Love the tweaks.
  Thanks Sjefke! The original Kenner Sy was actually really nice, aside from the feather, and the Foghorn Leghorn feet. Even the skirt is nice, if you drybrush and black wash. Would like more arty though, but she didn't move all that much anyway. If I were to do it again I'd resculpt the hands too. She had little claw hands.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:08:02 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
I figured out the skirt. I had posted an update, but now that I think about it I want to add some finishing touches. So I'll have something soon.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:42:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
  Thanks Mr.Jedi! The original Max Rebo band was awesome. You know my position on the SE movies. Haha. Wouldn't it be great if Hasbro did the original Max Rebo band fully articulated and new sculpts. That's what customising is for.

Well That would be a dream come true lol  I agree with you i would rather create it  and let Hasbro Drool after seeing what could have been  lol

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »
I put the skirt on old Sy Snootles. I ended up using these fringes on a blanket I had on my sofa. I tried everything from tassles to 3 ply silk, nothing worked right. I wrapped epoxy clay around the figire, and wrapped the strings around it. Then I painted it with water glue and brown paint. It's not bad, I may go back add a few more strings, maybe some beads. This'll do for a while. I still want to do a Jabba display sometime soon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:36:56 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2017, 02:39:31 AM »
I like how she turned out. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »
I like how she turned out. Off to share.
Thank you Tamer! I might do a couple of  custom Jabbas goons, I won't go nuts with it. There's a ton of guys that need an update.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
wow You did a great job on the vintage version of sy ! Absolutely love the soft goods !  Well done again my friend

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
wow You did a great job on the vintage version of sy ! Absolutely love the soft goods !  Well done again my friend
   Thanks bud! It came out pretty much as expected.  Of course I've had it on the back burner for a couple of years, but just now got around to it. I have a new Han in carbonite, so I can start on a display for all my guys. It'll be like that POTF2 3d display, but made of foam.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:02:30 AM by JDeck »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »
I love her.  I have to dig mine out.
Did you get the microphones with the figures? 
Those go for a pretty penny.