Author Topic: The Closet Jedi  (Read 13546 times)

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
The Closet Jedi
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »
Hello guys. This is my first time posting up here and I just wanted to say what’s up and to tell you a little about my self. I got into 3d modeling a few years ago and I have been able to design quite a lot since I started. My passion has always been Star Wars since I saw the first movie in the theatre. I mean Episode IV when it first came out about 100 years ago! I was a pretty small and did not really have any of the toys until years later when I swapped some gijoes for some star wars figures in the school playground.
 I always wanted a Tantive IV play set that I could call my own. I should probably have just gotten the pieces from hole in the wall (which look great) but I really wanted to build something myself. There is nothing like being able to say “I Built That”.  Be warned 3d printing is still very costly! Consumer level printers can be really cheap or really expensive. I have seen some amazing stuff printed on a diy reprap printer ($300) and I have seen some really bad stuff printed on a $3000 makerbot. 
That being said its not always the printer but the model used that affects the quality of the printed object as well as the speed, the settings, Slicing software, and even the weather. 
I have owned 3d printers before and have enough experiencing with them to know that I wanted my pieces printed at a service that was going to give me the quality that I wanted.  So enough on of the yapping. Here are some shots of the stuff I am working on.

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
Re: The Closet Jedi Tantive IV Dio
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
 ;)

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
Re: The Closet Jedi
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
 :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:55:08 AM »
Very nice! And welcome to ISY! Great looking set pieces. Off to share.

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:13:21 AM »
Was inspired last night to create a death star window to put behind a 3.75 scale emperor sitting on his throne. Right now the window is 10 inches in diameter and if it ever gets printed would be printed in one piece. Still has some work to do but my biggest problem is the scale. just how big should this be?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:54:07 AM »
Wow, great idea. Off to share.

To answer your question I think you might look at the emperor or Vader and Luke Fighting in front of said window to perhaps help with the dimensions. If there is any easy way to do that with the cad program you are using.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
Really great idea.  This would make an amazing diorama.
Do you have the throne already? 
That's an accessory I know I would drool over. 

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:59:51 PM »

To answer your question I think you might look at the emperor or Vader and Luke Fighting in front of said window to perhaps help with the dimensions.

That's the way I always did it.  ;)
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
Really great idea.  This would make an amazing diorama.
Do you have the throne already? 
That's an accessory I know I would drool over.

Yeah I have a throne i am working on but waiting to hammer all the details of the window before adding it in. I will probably print the throne first for scale and then figure out where to put tabs on the window for a black plexi glass floor to rest on. I want the window to be really big to give it that wow but also to fit in a larger diorama of the throne room. Would be amazing to to build the whole scene with the chasm. The window will definitely set the stage.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 02:50:28 AM »
Welcome aboard mate and loving your 3D prints and can't wait to see more.

Ron

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »

Yeah I have a throne i am working on but waiting to hammer all the details of the window before adding it in. I will probably print the throne first for scale and then figure out where to put tabs on the window for a black plexi glass floor to rest on. I want the window to be really big to give it that wow but also to fit in a larger diorama of the throne room. Would be amazing to to build the whole scene with the chasm. The window will definitely set the stage.

Aha!
I posted this on another thread but realized this might be of use to you on the window project.

I hope this helps with the scale.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:53:46 PM by Sjefke »

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »

Aha!
I posted this on another thread but realized this might be of used to you on the window project.

http://pin.it/kBTL26J

I hope this helps with the scale.

it's a big help, thanks. Especially in relation to the throne. I think the emperors throne will have to be printed first as well before i can guess at the proper size. Its all a guessing game untill something is printed and you can actually see it for your self. the size i am going for is pretty big and will be costly to print. so i have to keep working on it to not only get the right size but the right price for printing.

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
This is something i put together a while back and will probably start working on real soon.

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »
These were not printed in very good quality, i just wanted to test out the size, shape and scale and see how it looked. It will look even better when it is printed properly and at a good level of quality. Even still i might put some decals on it and use it as a back ground in a diorama.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »
Lots of potential there. I like it. Off to share on the front pages.