Imperial Creative Engineering > Custom Questions

Painted ball joints

(1/2) > >>

jon_k:
I was wondering if anyone has tips for painting ball joints so the paint doesn't wear off with use. I tried the superglue coat method, but I always end up with a texture I don't care for.

Thanks!

Tamer:
They are definitely the most dreaded of custom painting things to deal with. Outside of sanding and then good prep and paint work it seems like magic to me too.

jon_k:

--- Quote from: Tamer on May 19, 2016, 02:26:27 AM ---They are definitely the most dreaded of custom painting things to deal with. Outside of sanding and then good prep and paint work it seems like magic to me too.

--- End quote ---

I'm not necessarily against sanding, but if it's the peg that's painted, that means cutting the whole thing out and replacing the crossbar, which is a whole other thing that can go wrong with use. Half the time I'm tempted to just not move the damn thing once it's painted.

JDeck:
  I bought this product from microscale industries, called Micro Flat. Its used to protect decals from excessive handling. Its made of some kind of water soluable resin, I bet it would work with joints as well.
You could sand it down a little paint it, and apply the micro flat in thin coats, allow it to dry between coats. Same method as super glue, but I don't think it'll leave an unsightly texture, because its made for finished products. They make a glossy version too, it called either micro gloss or micro clear, idk something like that.  Its worth a shot, if for some reason it doesn't work, you can use it to protect the paint in other areas, as well.
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/micro-coat-flat/MIC00000003/product.php

jon_k:

--- Quote from: JDeck on May 19, 2016, 01:32:07 PM ---  I bought this product from microscale industries, called Micro Flat. Its used to protect decals from excessive handling. Its made of some kind of water soluable resin, I bet it would work with joints as well.
You could sand it down a little paint it, and apply the micro flat in thin coats, allow it to dry between coats. Same method as super glue, but I don't think it'll leave an unsightly texture, because its made for finished products. They make a glossy version too, it called either micro gloss or micro clear, idk something like that.  Its worth a shot, if for some reason it doesn't work, you can use it to protect the paint in other areas, as well.
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/micro-coat-flat/MIC00000003/product.php

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I'll have to add that to my wish list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version