Imperial Creative Engineering > Custom Questions

Painting and filling head casts

(1/1)

JetpackBlues:
  Have a question regarding painting skin tones on resin head casts. I received a set of molds for some head casts from another customizer on a collaboration we are working on. I'm currently casting the heads but have encountered to issues (one I was expecting).
   First issue is filling pock marks. There are a few inconsistencies on the casts. First being the area where the head is attached to the stick when making the mold. That area needs resculpting to add back the small portion of the head that was lost in the prep. That part is easy. But apparently the mold had some air bubbles, which aren't usually an issue except these are on the face. What is the best way to fill these? I've tried painting on super glue to a so so effect. I've also tried fixit sculpt which fills it perfectly but is much darker than the rest of the cast so when painting it comes out uneven...
   ...but that may be because of issue/question 2. How the heck to you apply skin tones to a head cast? I run into no issues painting heads when they are helmeted or masked but when it's a bare face that requires it to be all flesh tone I have issue. I've tried brush painting but it never lays down evenly, even with the softest brushes and thinned paint. And if I apply the paint via airbrush the paint lays down smoothly but has what I can only describe as a "dusty" look. Any help would be appreciated. (I've never had these issue working in 1:18 but now that I'm working larger the inconsistencies show)

jon_k:
For small holes that don't need to be sculpted over, I've had luck with testors contour putty. Larger holes I usually fill with greenstuff.

Mandalore25:
I use white, or gray Magic Sculpt to fill holes, easy colors to paint over. For me flesh tones just requires multiple coats to look right, but in other instances with this issue, I paint a clear coat over it, or some other color like white first, and the paint sets better. When it comes to skin tones instead of buying flesh colored paint I've just been mixing my own skin tones, and have had more success with that covering, well covers in 2 coats, instead of 3-5.

JetpackBlues:
Thanks a lot for the tips. I use the Reaper flesh tones (rosy skin, highlight and shadow for example) when painting 1:18 scale. But painting the larger 1/12 and 1/6 scale I realized real quick that those didn't work right and researched colors used to make flesh tones. the big  issue has been more finish, texture etc but I used a tamiya clear coat in between a tone layer and then put another too over it and it looks pretty good. Used fixit for the blemishes so it worked pretty well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version