Author Topic: super articulate animated clones w/ gi-joe  (Read 2862 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
super articulate animated clones w/ gi-joe
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:46:38 AM »
ok.  I figured you guys would want to see this even though the new arf trooper kind of makes this process obsolete... 

basically you will need a clone trooper to start with, and a 25th aniversary cobra commander.  The Cobra Commander fig is the perfect body type to slice onto the animated clones.  Of course any gi-joe 25th aniversary figure which has the torso joint in the gut instead of the chest will probably work. 

In the above image I've already removed the upper portion of cobra commander.  To do this you need to pop the chest apart.  I find this is easiest to do if you microwave the figure first to loosen the glue.  Then take an exacto knife and gently wedge it into the seams beneath the arm pits.  Work your way up untill you can get a small flathead screwdriver into the cavity and with a little prying it will pop right apart.  Be careful when you are prying as they tend to all of a sudden give way and send parts flying all over the room....

I am repeating the same cutting process with the animated clone.  HOWEVER, and I was surprised at this the first time I did this, the animated clone trooper's chests are made completely of the soft rubber and are not hollow.  You will need to carefully cut with a sharp exacto knife up through the torso untill you hit the pegs for the arms.  Be careful not to damage the pegs for the arms!  do this on both sides, be careful to follow the line on the figure so that you keep things even.

this is what it should look like when your done and have removed the lower half:

once you have removed the clone trooper's lower half set it aside and test fit the new body parts into the animated figure's chest.  the peg hole in the chest may need to be widened so that the new CC body parts can fit snugly in and still twist.  This can be done with a dremel, just be realy careful. 

If you have a RESOLUTE 5 pack cobra commander (which is the figure used in this tutorial) widening the peg hole is not necessary.  It actually fits pefectly.

I usually do not glue the torso back together untill I know for sure it's the way I want it... I made the mistake of doing that too soon on this figure and wound up glueing the arm's peg's into their sockets...  if you do glue the torso back together go easy on the glue so that it doesn't seep into any of the sockets which need to remain loose to allow movement.

Next we need to replace the lower legs of the cobra commander body with the original clone's (unless you like the joe legs that is...)

first you need to remove the lower joe legs by removing the plastic pin out of the bottom hole of the double jointed knee.

do this for both legs

then remove the lower legs from the clone trooper.  I have found that it is easier to remove a pegged joint if you cut a small slit up the side of the socket, this allows the peg to slip right out... Of course if your going to use the part again for something else you don't want to destroy it in this manner, as I'm just tossing it aside I don't care. 

next you need to cut out the star wars swivel/peg joint to make room for the new double knee joe joint. 

do this by cutting down on both sides of the swivel joint and then pulling it out.  You will also need to remove the "knee pad" from the front of the star wars clone's leg.  Carfully shave away small layers of the front of the knee untill it looks like the above picture.

test fit the bottom half of the double jointed knee into the modified slot on the star wars figure calf.  if it fits good and snugly then hold it in place and slowly drill through the side of the knee makeing sure that the drill bit goes through both sides evenly.  I find that holding it in place with the new knee joint and using it as a guide helps.  Also using a hand drill instead of a dremel for this you can control the speed at which you cut through the figure.  I usually hold the figure with one hand with my fingers tightly around the knee so that I can feel the drill bit and where it will exit on the other side.  Mind you I'm turning the bit very slowly so that when it does puncture through it doesn't cut my finger! 

Remove the drill bit and you have a clean peg hole that will run through both sides of the leg and line up with the new double jointed knee.  You will need a plastic rod/peg that is the same width as the knee and slightly maleable to insert into the hole you just drilled.  I have used the framing which holds together plastic model peices before but have just recently discovered something even better.  The missiles that come with the new star wars figures are EXACTLY the right diameter and are soft and pliable enough to make a snug fit.

insert the end of the missile through the drilled hole and cut to fit. 

then use a pair of pliers to "crimp" the peg.  This will mushroom the ends of it so that it doesn't slip out of the hole.  For this reason you might want to cut the rod just slightly longer than you think you need to.

Once you've done all these steps for both legs and have the chest glued back tightly so that it doesn't fall apart your all set.

I've used parts of the original clone's belt as a "garter" style belt before as it is too small to fit around the waist, but a legacy clone's belt shaved down on the inside will fit nicely over it.  Here I've used a concept boba fett belt and holster:

almost don't reconize him all painted up do ya!? lol

tell me if this was helpful and definately let me know if you're going to try this!!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: super articulate animated clones w/ gi-joe
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:00:49 PM »
Oh yeah, need to add this to the reference list too. Thanks for the pics and the tutorial Devon. Once again, you guys sharing your artistic secrets is a welcome addition.

Offline customclone

• 3rd scrap burners
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
sweet i got to try this i wanted to paint the wast thanks thats a awsome idea and your customs look ggreat man keep on doing the good work

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Sheer awesomeness!  Thanks - again! - for sharing with us - again! - those tips and tricks that you've learned thru great personal expense and deep dedication to the Customizing Craft!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
Super tutorial, Spud!! You make it look so easy. Using the missile for the knee pin in your lower leg swap was inspiring. This is the kind of stuff that keeps our custom section growing and growing. Keep up the good work, dude!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
the way I see it is that most of use throw that missile out as soon as we open the box, we arn't interested in launching fakey looking missiles and oversized weopons....  but of course I never throw anything away and just happened to have one sitting to the side when I was trying to find a good sized rod, and viola it fit perfectly! 

Eventually I'm going to try this same technique on an evolution boba or jango with the ball jointed torso.  I am hoping that their ball joint is low enough to fit well with a cobra commander body or similar styled 25th joe.

I need to look on e-bay for some more fodder... my parts box is getting low after this last week of customizing!  :o

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »
Spud,
thanks for directing me to this tutorial.
Great job and very inspiring indeed!
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »
I hope this inspired some of you guys to try this process.  Please let me see some of your all's take on this! 

CKurgan, if you want to try this with some figs and ever need something shipped to ya that you can't find over in your neck of the woods let me know and i'll try to find it for ya.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
Potato Masher, you are a great resource to this community.

I've been working on actual customs here and there for a few weeks, mostly because of reading your stuff, very cool.

How exactly did you shave that leg down to fit>?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:45:42 PM »
did I not go over that in the video?

hmm....

you just very carefully take the exacto knife and basically cut off the pre-existing figure's knee pad.  Then it should open up the slot for the new joe knee to slide in and replace it.

I find that the best knee parts for replacing clones and storm trooper knee pads are the B.A.T. knee piece.  Of course, bat's are expensive and rare though. 

a similar joe knee that works well and looks good is cobra comander's.  it has the look of an armored knee pad...