Author Topic: RCWCreations diorama's: Takodana's Forest encounter  (Read 37857 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Panther's diorama's: The desdtruction of Maz Katana's Castle
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2016, 02:50:02 AM »
One word AWESOME.

Ron

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
    • Richard's Creative Workshop
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:05 AM »
Thank you Ron.  Would you believe that is just a wall and right now to steps!

Offline Alliance nerd

• Cadet
  • Scarlet Hark's boyfriend
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2016, 05:57:59 AM »
how many of this flags are you going to hang on the finished castle?   ;D

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
I'm not, I'm thinking of going the other way!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
Thanks Mr Jedi 1977, my daughter had a friend round to play on Sunday and her mother came along to, so that kept both my daughter and wife occupied for the afternoon!  0/

I just need to finish off the steps and the overall base, then need to workout the hardest part - what colour to paint it (colour blind!).  Any suggestions will be gladly received.  Once that is done, it will be time for phase II of this project!

LOL thank god for play dates .  A great way to get some quality time in . Keep the photos coming , i like how this is turning out .

Offline Alliance nerd

• Cadet
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
I'm not, I'm thinking of going the other way!
not decorating it with the flags?   or the giant Maz statue?   :)

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »
It will be decorated but not the way you think lol!  I have an image of how it will hopefully look plus the hints in the title ;-)

Offline Alliance nerd

• Cadet
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2016, 06:53:06 AM »
ohhhhhhh!!!!   :o

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:30 AM »
Morning all

Last night I finally got a bit of time to carry on working on my diorama, phase 1 of this project is almost complete.  I finished off building the steps to castle, making each step width 2cm on either side and 1cm depth from the previous one.  then cutting two pieces of foam board for the foundation's, these pieces where measured from the bottom of the wall (or from the top of the top step) to the base of the bottom step.  On the top of each piece I got my knife and sliced from down between the front piece of card and foam, this running the full length of of the board and a 1cm in depth.  Then on the reverse of the board, across the top of each piece, I drew a line 1cm in depth and gently cut through the foam making sure that I did not go through the other side to the cut previous cut that I had done.  This creating a lip on both my pieces of board.  I then (using masking tape for now) stuck them to the bottom of the wall and behind the steps.  As you can also see I have cut a rather large piece of board to act as the overall base of my structure.

I just need  to cut a couple more pieces for around the base of the castle to make it secure before fixing the steps to the base and then proceeding with phase 2 - the painting of this structure.

I hope you like pictures!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2016, 01:27:13 AM »
Awesome work mate and I'm really looking forward to seeing the next lot of pics.

Ron

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2016, 01:31:12 AM »
Thanks Ron and the same with you!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2016, 02:29:03 AM »
Wow, that looks spot on perfect to me. Off to share the latest.

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2016, 02:40:42 AM »
Thanks Tamer

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »
Morning all

I've had a bit of a productive weekend with my model.  On Saturday I finally completed Phase 1 of this project, which was completion of the overall structure of the diorama.  The wall was completed, sanded down and pieces glued into place, the base cut, sanded and secured into place.

Phase 2 I had been toying with the idea of painting it before going ahead with Phase 3 but then I realized that I would have to do a complete repaint once Phase 3 had been finished.  So I decided (whether it was a good idea or not) to swap Phase's 2 & 3 around. 

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »
Now you are all wondering what Phase 3 is!  My intention was never to build Maz's watering hole in all of its glory, instead I wanted to build the scene after the First Order had destroyed the castle and you watch Kylo Ren walking through the collapsed structure then out of a doorway and onto the battlefield.

So with that in mind I set to work last night, destroying the wall.  Normally cutting through foam board is relatively easy but when you have to go through three layers and give the impression that its a wall and not just some card is a little tricky.  So I got out a hammer and chisel, using this to cut into and around the brick work, taking it down through the 3 layers.  With the larger pieces, I cut down into the middle layer then started to pull/rip the pieces off.  This left the chiseled top layer the way I wanted it to look but gave a great effect on the other two layers, I even decided to leave part of the wall hanging on.  With the pieces that I had cut off, they are now turned into the rubble on the floor.

This weekend while also purchasing Rogue One figure's I will be investing in some spray cans and finally start to paint this.  I know some of you are wondering why I just didn't paint this first before starting to break the walls down, up until yesterday I was in the same mind because everything would have been consistent, wall/rubble and then I could have scorched it up afterwards.  Then there is the issue of the white board after I had pulled the wall down, I would have had to repaint the wall and might not have got the same effect again.  Unfortunately I got over keen and and went with painting it after I destroyed it, I might regret this option later!

My wife walked in while I was chiselling to find out what all the noise was and thought I was nuts (also to complain about the noise and not to wake out daughter up), about two hours later she came back in.  Without saying anything to me, she stood in front of the model, laughed, then turned to me and said she could picture that scene!  Using the parts of the wall that I had cut away as rubble had worked, the destroyed brick work but I need to redo the lower stage right side of the wall.  Don't tell I said this but she is right!   ;D

I hope you enjoy the pictures

Richard