Author Topic: 2016 Toy Fair Hasbro Q&A  (Read 3471 times)

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
2016 Toy Fair Hasbro Q&A
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
This year, the Hasbro Q&A was handled very differently than previous years. Instead of a set time for 1 on 1 with the brand manager, we were all seated together and had to raise our hands and be acknowledged before asking our question like in a more traditional press conference setting.

I was only able to get in 3 of our specific questions, but was able to get some answers from others' questions as well.

First our questions:

Q:  It has been awhile since we have seen a release of a larger scale 3.75" vehicle. Any chance we will see a return to getting one of these larger vehicles in the 3.75" Line per year? And can it be more of an action figure oriented vehicle instead of firing Nerf darts or other action feature?

A:  There will be more large vehicles coming in the future but we have to balance the needs of the kids and the collectors which is why you will see things like Nerf launchers or other projectiles or things like lights or sounds.

Q: What is the future for the Super Articulated 3.75 Star Wars figures? Will you keep making them? And are we going to see them sold at other brick and mortar stores besides Wal-Mart?

A: For the near future, they will remain a Walmart exclusive. We are looking to produce 8-10 figures a year.

Q: When will the Vintage Line return? We miss the vintage style cardbacks on the pegs!

A:  We are working with Disney on a way for Vintage to return. We want it, we know you all want it, but it is up to Disney as to when/how/if/what format Vintage returns in.

Other Questions:

Q: Will the "Rogue One" figures be part of the current SKUs or will there be separate SKUs for them?

A: We are not sure just yet.

Q: How about some more TFA vehicles such as Kylo Ren's Shuttle or Leia's Landing Craft?

A: There is nothing planned for either of those right now. Plus, Leia's ship is kind of boring (I suggested issuing it as a carry case similar to the Vintage Rebel Transport so it would serve double duty - Joe Ninnevaggi liked that idea)

Q: Will the "Rogue One" line be as extensive as "TFA" was?

A: It will be deep, I cannot say if it will be as deep, 3/4 as deep, 1/2 as deep or not just yet, but it will be a big offering for sure.

Q:Any chance of Retro Kenner-esque "TFA" figures?

A: We have thought about it but there is so much else we are investing in that it is not in the cards right now.

Q: Any plans for the 6" Titanium Series vehicles returning?

A: We haven't really discussed it.

Q:Will there be any Original Trilogy Titanium Helmets released eventually?

A: Yes, we have a road map for them that is pretty robust, a lot of OT, Force Awakens, Rebels.

Q: Can we ever expect to see more cardboard pop-up environments like the POTF2 Jabba's Palace and Cantina? They could even be packaged like the old Comic Packs?

A: It definitely could happen, we are always looking at new technologies to introduce more diorama kind of playsets without going super heavy into plastic and tooling. We are looking as trying to get more of those scenery pieces out there, especially with the 6" line.

Q: What about a "TFA" branded BMF?

A: It would be cool, but the BMF you guys got years ago would now cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars to produce again. We really couldn't do a $600 Millennium Falcon.

Q: How about an upgrade pack for the BMF? Like a new rectangular dish that could snap onto the existing BMF? Maybe as a Hasbro.com or Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive?

A: That is something that we could do. Is that something that you would all want? (someone suggested putting it in the main line as an accessory instead of the build-a-weapon piece. I suggested packing it with Maz Kanata when she inevitable gets a single pack release as she is diminutive)

Q: How about new creatures like the Luggabeast?

A: That is something we are considering. The larger, non-humanoid creatures and beasts are definitely underrepresented in the line.

Q: Are Luke and Leia from TFA coming in both scales?

A: Of course.

There were other questions, almost all focusing on if we were getting more super articulated figures but they were just variations on what had already been asked.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:25:31 AM by Tamer »
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Jodo

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
    • Toys and Deep Thinking Blog
Re: 2016 Toy Fair Hasbro Q&A
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
Excellent Q&A! Part of me is glad to hear there may only being 8-10 SA figures each year. I had hoped the line would at least still exist in some manner, and that is honestly enough figures to tide me over. My only issue would be that some could be terrible re-pack choices, which would be disappointing. Hopefully we see a few army builder repacks make their way into the line (like the RFT or the Hoth Rebel Officer), and a few harder to find figures like Ponda Boba. At the same time, I'd like to see at least a few background TFA figures make it into the line. Or heck, even main characters at this point...

The other thing that interested me was the question about the BMF.

Q: What about a "TFA" branded BMF?

A: It would be cool, but the BMF you guys got years ago would now cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars to produce again. We really couldn't do a $600 Millennium Falcon.

That is really interesting to know the retail price for a BMF size (and quality) item would be so much more compared to just a few years ago when it was released. I expected there to be a significant price increase, but I wouldn't have thought it would be towards the $600 range. Considering they released the huge 6 inch scale TIE for under $200, I expected the price to sit somewhere around $200-250...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 05:21:16 AM »
Well sure sounds like it was different. Thanks for squeezing in some of our questions!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
Great report! Thanks so much for taking the time to get some really good answers!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:20:38 AM »
Q: What is the future for the Super Articulated 3.75 Star Wars figures? Will you keep making them? And are we going to see them sold at other brick and mortar stores besides Wal-Mart?

A: For the near future, they will remain a Walmart exclusive. We are looking to produce 8-10 figures a year.

What they are looking at and what will really happen remains to be seen.
The really bad news is that WalMart is their sole retailer. This means sloppy distribution across the USA and no Distribution in countries where WalMart doesn't exist (and that's pretty much everywhere outside North America).
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Drakos

• Cadet
  • Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad vode' an
    • Toy Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
8-10 Super-articulate figures a year and remaining under Walmart??

This makes me want to cry. The Black Series 3.75" line being a Walmart exclusive has prevented the line from arriving in the Philippines. I've heard it being spotted in Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong. But when I went to Japan for the holidays, I found nothing, not a single trace. Please Hasbro, if you're going to maintain it as an exclusive, at least get more international partners!

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
it seems that with disney making a new movie every year hasbro  wont invest much time making figures for each movie , since they need to launch new lines and new figures and sculps every year
May the Force be with you !