Imperial Creative Engineering > Resources and References

Ball Joint Repair

(1/2) > >>

Sjefke:
I wanted to share this fix.  It's a little involved, but it worked.
Why all of a sudden a tutorial on Ball joint repair?   
Because I'm and idiot, that's why! :-X
I was working on upgrading the articulation on a figure, and the acrocyanate glue ran and froze the joint.  Not just any ball joint.  An Ultra-articulated Spider-Man wrist joint.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the smallest ball joint ever made, and I needed that tiny ball joint for a specific project.  The hardest part of this project was trying to handle those tiny parts.

When I freed up the joint, the ring had snapped.  Since everything was pulled apart, I poured Lightening Fill in the break and over he rough spots and placed a drop of Lightening Bond on top.

Scrape and sand the excess glue then drill out the hole.
I used the paper clip to rub it over the sand paper.

Cut the rod on the pivot.  Then drill out both sides.  Line everything up and insert a thick paper clip.

If it swings smoothly, trim the paperclip and secure them with a tiny bit of acrocyanate on both ends.  I use the end of a tooth pick as an applicator.

I hope this helps.
I'll post more fixes the next time I screw up.

Tamer:
My comments about this fix are on the front page. Thanks, as always Jeff.

Sjefke:

--- Quote from: Tamer on February 05, 2016, 03:22:29 AM ---My comments about this fix are on the front page. Thanks, as always Jeff.

--- End quote ---
No problem Tamer.  I'm glad I finally remembered to grab the camera. 
Figures are too expensive these days to throw out because something internal busted. 
I wish I'd taken pics of the time I broke TVC Ackbar's knee joint. 
I replaced the snapped peg on the ring with a tiny brad nail.

Ha!  Just found this one.
Here's one left over from my Pong Krell build.  This is a Thor movie Frost Giant hip, which is thankfully about ten times bigger than the Spidey wrist above.   I drilled out the broken peg and replaced it with a tiny screw.  The screw is obviously narrower than the plastic ring or else it would split the ring and hamper its rotation.  Take ensure it stayed in place, I applied a little acrocyanate at the base with a tooth pick.  Thankfully, it didn't run and freeze the joint that time.

Starchaser:
Wow, thanks for the tutorials. These are really helpful (your not the only one who messes these things up!).

Tamer:
Another cool fix to share. Jeff loving this stuff. Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version