Author Topic: Hasbro to produce a 6" line called Black Series this year  (Read 9330 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hasbro to produce a 6" line called Black Series this year
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Yeah, I think perhaps applying this to their 3 and 3/4 line and making it a special adult action figure line aimed at dads would have been a better choice. How many times have folks shown here what you can really achieve on a three and three quarter level.

Then, there is the obvious qustion that goes with this; are there going to vehicles, etc. to go with these?

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
I will probably get the R2, and when Vader is released I will defiantly get him.   There are a few I might buy (Fett, Chewie) but I doubt I could devote myself to a 6 inch line.  I am surprized this took so long to see the light of day though, I have heard demand for years. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Spookymufu

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
I will probably only buy the imperials. Definitely that Sandtrooper

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I can remember seeing an awesome six inch boba fett among things from someone besides Hasbro a few years back. Anyone remember that?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
I see Hasbro just sent me an official email about the new 6-inch Black Line:

"Star Wars fans,

Yesterday, Hasbro's new line of collector-targeted Star Wars figures, Star Wars Black, was announced on USAToday.com, which will include both traditional 3.75-inch action figures and a brand-new scale, 6-inch figures. Hasbro is excited to now share with you its official photography for the first 6-inch Star Wars Black figure, X-Wing Pilot Luke Skywalker.

The official description for the 6-inch line is below:

STAR WARS ®  BLACK SERIES 6-INCH ACTION FIGURES
 (Approximate retail price: $19.99; Ages: 4 & up; Available: Fall 2013)
 In 2013, Hasbro takes collectible STAR WARS action figures to the next level with the introduction of the BLACK SERIES action figure line! For the first time ever, Hasbro is introducing a 6-inch scale of the greatest characters from the STAR WARS universe.  This exceptional collection of figures features incredibly accurate design and a high level of articulation. Each sold separately.

There will be 8 Star Wars Black Series 6-inch action figures available in 2013, with the first wave—Luke, R2-D2, Darth Maul and a Sandtrooper—hitting in August.

And they sent two official images which we have seen already:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:48:20 PM by Tamer »

Offline clone10

• Brigadier
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
No clone10, they are still going to produce 3 3/4 figs as well. These are supposed to be aimed at adult collectors, mainly any of us that grew up collecting/playing with the original Kenner figs from the early days
O ok, thanks for the answer.

Offline rex smoke

• A Droid's Worst Nightmare
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
It looks super cool but are they quiting 3 3/4 figures :(? That stinks if they do because I have collected 3 3/4 just about all my life.
They said in the article they will continue the vintage line

Offline clone10

• Brigadier
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
It looks super cool but are they quiting 3 3/4 figures :(? That stinks if they do because I have collected 3 3/4 just about all my life.
They said in the article they will continue the vintage line
O, well I didnt read the article but I thought they where just going to quit the vintage line after this year, so I didnt know. :)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »
I think the one red flag I got when reading that article was the fact that they are gearing this line towards adults, which is fine, but then go on to say that the three and three quarter line can be used to play with their kids. Now I could just be pessimistic here, but does that mean we can kiss what articulation and good sculpting we have seen so far good bye with the three and three quarter line up as they are hoping this new six inch line will get most of the bells and whistles? If that is the case then I think Hasbro will have finally sealed their coffin.

I am wondering if they would have been better off to give this "bells and whistles" treatment to their three and three quarter line up and charge us a few dollars more per figure. I think most of us could have lived with a three and three quarter line up that was a bit more per figure to get super articulation and good sculpting. Perhaps this line would have been smaller, with not as many waves, but would probably have been more fruitful in the long run when dealing with the SW Line Up.

I am also a bit miffed that the fan sites, which have been faithfully reporting on Hasbro for years, have to wait a day to get the official announcement from Hasbro and that usatoday got this a day before the rest of us. I think we should have all got this news at the same time. Not a good way to repay loyalty if you ask me. To be honest it has me thinking of just giving up on Hasbro alltogether. Oh well, I will think on that for a bit.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
Very good point Tamer but i also think that Hasbro is  a bit panic stricken with the Disney merge . So i think that Hasbro is in a rush to get whatever they had planned out to collectors before Disney starts to tell them what to do or for that matter looks to buy out Hasbro. If i remember didnt Disney put in a bid or talk about that??? can anyone help me with that ... I don't think that Hasbro will totally abandon the 3inch line all together it just wont be tvc . After all they did say they were gonna give us the final four figures that were made back in the day that were'nt made yet , But again coming from Hasbro that means a whole lot of nothing . I am just as mad as every collector is over the treatment of us loyal star wars  fans who have (imo) kept Hasbro in business . But i am a completest so i plan on riding out this wave till the end i am curious to hear what you all think

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
Maybe i'll buy a few (Jawas perhaps) but I wouldn't even think about a Dio on these.  ::)

I've been narrowing my targeted areas to purchase anyway. I look for HP and POTC as much as SW on E-bay.

Didn't have interest in LOTR 6" back in the day but Bought 2 LOTR 4" figures at WM before Christmas and now they have disappeared
  :'(

Hit and run. That sucked.  >:(
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
I think essentially the only change the vintage line will see is a packaging change to "BLACK" and a early summer price increase. Let it be known that marketing geniuses at  Hasbro are going to try a "black" label approach to boost sales as would a refined whiskey or fancy aged cheeses.

What is needed is (as it has been mentioned above) accessibility to the figures we want. I always hear Hasbro answer the question about the endless Obi-Wans and Lukes to the effect of "those are the popular one's, the main characters everyone wants." I just can't believe that when in every store those are the very figures clogging up the re-order process.    

Price. Tamer I know you said above we'd pay a little more for a better figure but I won't. To me they don't give enough for what they charge now. I buy my daughters $10 Barbies all the time that are three time the size of a Star Wars figure. They have articulation, some like the LaTeeDa dolls are very articulated and come with little shoes and cloth clothes and hair and stickers and purses and jewelry... $10 to $14 dollars. Hasbro could do better.

The Droid parts were great. That's why the Legacy line was the most popular. Great figures and Droid parts. I think if they tried harder to standardize the way their parts connect on the regular figures and made them a little easier to take apart it would open up a whole new era in action figures. Build a figure series wouldn't just be for droids, and kit bashing would become easier especially for the little ones who'll one day grow up and retain the hobby as we did.

How about a surprise accessory in the package. It doesn't necessarily have to pertain to the figure it comes with. They used to send a small box of weapons with one line but I think it would be more fun to get some armor and belts w/holsters, maybe some goggles and helmets. Just a thought.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 04:03:53 AM »
Good points from the both of you there too.

I tend to agree with DS' point about already paying more than we ought to for these figures.

It is probably gonna be an interesting Toy Fair.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »
I won't be collecting any of these.  I'm a die hard 3 3/4" adult collector.  Not looking to change over to an all new line when I have so much invested in the smaller scale.  I see this going bad for Hasbro. This will probably only see one wave and then clog the shelves where they are sold ...then later abandoned.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:15 PM »
clearance isle custom fodder! Lets hope poor Tamer will see some in the esb packaging before it dies. We had discussed in the podcast tonight and pondered over why, in the first wave, do we not see the iconic characters of Vader or a Stormie?